Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
adding popup to the family

Considering buying a popup, preferably an Apache ( i like the solid walls vs. canvas) Does anyone pull a popup for extended family, friends, kids. It is an appealling idea, so mom and dad can have some "us" time at night. Are there downfalls with this setup, i.e- can i park on the same space in campground, provided the site is large enough or do i need two side by side sites. Trying to get the wife excited by this idea. Also, how do the MH of the early years tow things of this nature. Any and all responses would be appreciated. I am in the market for an Apache so if you have one or know someone with one to sell, hopefully in MI, let me know. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
A lot of campgrounds only allow one wheeled unit per site.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I love Apache Popups Too

We had a lime green 1976 Apache Mesa unit before we got our Airstream and I loved it. We gave it to our neice who is still camping with it. Things to know about Apaches: You must be very careful with the ABS walls as these trailers are 25 to 30 years old so the plastic has become brittle. Also you should check the lift system on any Apache you are interested in, parts are available but it's a fairly big job to replace all the gears and chains. If you haven't done so already check out the Apache trailer website at: http://www.apachepopups.net/

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

We have a Coleman Bayside which we bought before the Airstream. We pull it on vacations as I am to chicken to pull the airstream other than to the camp ground where it stays for the summer. Some camp ground will allow 2 units per site but with added charges. Good luck on hunt for an Apache pop-up.
J&D AS#2
JD85EXCELLA32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I would go for a more recent vintage popup trailer. I have a '92 Coleman (which preceded the Airstream and is still in my garage) that overall is more robust than the older Apaches and easier to live with. I have experience with the Apaches and the setup and take down is not as easy as the Coleman. The lift system failed twice on the Apache that I used.

Bellingham, WA
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Cool Apache Pop Ups

Oh-Oo. Having a flashback.
I spent at least one week every year when I was a kid living in a '62 Apache.
Alabama or the Carolinas every spring break and upper Midwest every summer. My parents would drag us kids on road trips from New York to Colorado every year. Probably "ruined" me for life. Did the same to mine. I rememeber those hardside Apaches, the were quite progressive for their time.
If you can find one, go for it. I don't think you can go wrong with such a simple and reliable unit.
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I pull a 7 by 8 trailer which holds my three wheel recumbant, my wife's bike and a whole lot of other things. Our kids often join us for weekends and will pitch a tent on the sight if there is room. The state parks hardly ever charge extra but the privates always do. So far no one has ever objected to my trailer. It is light enough that we disconnect it and push it back into a corner.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan
I would go for a more recent vintage popup trailer. I have a '92 Coleman (which preceded the Airstream and is still in my garage) that overall is more robust than the older Apaches and easier to live with. I have experience with the Apaches and the setup and take down is not as easy as the Coleman. The lift system failed twice on the Apache that I used.
Prior to my travel trailer days, I owned two Coleman Pop-ups. These were the ones built by Coleman prior to Fleetwood's purchase of this line. At the time the Coleman's were probably the best pop ups on the road, both from an engineering mode and from a quality mode. I remember sitting in storms where the wind was so strong, velcro fasteners around the doors of other pop-ups would pop open. The Coleman gasket around thier doors was very unique and very weather proof.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
If you happen travel in/near Virginia, I have one. A '77 Apache Ramada. It's in reasonably good shape, needs some TLC from someone who can work ABS. I even have most of the parts to finish the repairs. We found an AS which fit us better. Big difference from a 16' Apache to a 31' Sovereign International. It's much prettier and it still needs a ton of work.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote