Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #197
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
I got the inlet for the Banks on my scrap trailer. Could have made you a right deal.
mel
I am still considering that inlet kit that you have in your scrap pile. Would be interesting to know if you see a difference in gas mileage or power between it and your new intake. What is the right deal you are offering today.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #198
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
I am still considering that inlet kit that you have in your scrap pile. Would be interesting to know if you see a difference in gas mileage or power between it and your new intake. What is the right deal you are offering today.
Not sure how to compere fuel mileage, too many other changes. Massage me about the Banks inlet stuff. I'm going to be out of country for a couple weeks, but be back in May.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #199
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0123.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	183606
The air dam area must be redone because of the change in the air inlet. so brake out the old cardboard and after 3 tries I have a pattern.

Name:	IMAG0125.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	183607
The old air dam.

Name:	IMAG0127.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	183608
The new air dam

Name:	IMAG0128.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	183609
All installed. Not sure what to do about the mess on the right with all the wires and hoses coming out. I'm adding foam to block as much air into the radiator as I can. Had to replace the defrost ducts. Would like in insulate them. Maybe when I redo the dog house insulation I'll get something to wrap the defroster duct with.

Name:	IMAG0129.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	183610
Now I need to repair part of the plastic/fiberglass fairing before I can continue. Fiberglass cloth and PVC cement works will for this. This is what holds the radiator overflow tank together and I've repaired gray/black water tanks this way too.
Now I'll be out of pocket till May.
Cheers!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #200
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mel,

Well it's been a while, how's it running?

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #201
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

Well it's been a while, how's it running?

Gary
Glad you ask: Wife and I got back from Israel last Thursday, then I got another epidular Friday (which wasn't any better then the last 4 epidulars I've received) Had a hail storm while we were gone and had to get the insurance adjusters out for my Dodge truck ($3200 damage) and the house(6 year old, 30 year roof is totaled). So, progress is slow, but!

Name:	IMAG0134.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	185500
It's on the ground, together!!!!!

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	185501Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0136.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	185502
I dressed the air dam as best I could.
It the thunder storms stay away I plan to road test in this morning.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #202
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mel,

Oh boy, I think you're due for a break from your "lucky" streak.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #203
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
No road test. Chassis battery is dead, dead dead. Three years old, it maybe dead. So I put the the charger on over night. Today it reads 12 volt. I open the door and the step doesn't quite deploy. Check the battery..... 4 volts. Think I'll wait to road test till I get a new battery. I know I can push the switch in the clove box and go, but would rather have a good battery to start with. Now it looks like Tuesday before I can get a new one installed and maybe Tuesday will be the magic day.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Strange that the battery just went dead. I though that you were able to start the engine not that long ago. You may have a battery drain issue that needs to be run down.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #205
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Talking

The battery had an 'open' cell. May still have something draining it, but it's new now.

So, new battery: Time to road test. All it can do to pull itself.... Get up over 2000 rpms and it just goes to spitting and back firing. It's 90 degrees out as I find a place to pull over and remove the dog house cover. Now its 200 degrees as I check the plug wires/firing order again. Then start moving the distributor. First back... Much worse. Then advance.. better, more advance... more better, more, more and more. Got to understand I'm by myself so I keep finding a place to pull a 34 foot motor home over each time I play with the timing... and I think I got it timed. Nowhere near what the book calls for. And the 'check' light went away too. Good thing I got those wheel-e bar (tag axle) 'cause I may be almost ready for the drag strip. RUNS GOOD!!! Got an exhaust leak and a little miss, so pull the header loss and take the gasket out I know better than using and a new set of plugs which I should of replaced and my 'silver Bullet' is ready to go!
Load me up!!!!! I'm a happy boy!!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Good stuff Mel!
We could do with some happy news after Cesalie2's post about the loss of his 310!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #207
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Good news! No wrecker calls to get to the lake! The motor runs good, quiet, cool. Didn't run the A/C but never got over 200 degrees. Think the old was getting a little loose in more ways then one. The idiot light for the EFI kept coming on and off, so it's running in 'safe mode' Not the best for fuel economy. May have to buy myself a new reader so I can catch the code. Sure it's a connector not making contact. The dang cheat crimped connector... what's it been 10 years that EFI has been on??? May be forced to buy and new 'soldered' wiring harness, they sell them, for a price.
I still have a front brake leak too. The hard tube fitting is bad at the master cylinder.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #208
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Guess it's about time I did another update on this project. The trip home was not so good. Broke/Throw the alternation belt about half way home. Had a spare so, after it cooled some I put it on and was off again only to have it come off about 20 miles from home. I looked it all over and of course you can't get a straight view of the pulleys from any angle. I'm thinking I didn't get the belt in all the grooves. Twice?? Anyway I need to tighten the A/C, PS pump belt which is a job all it's own. When I did the seal started leaking on the pump. DRAT!!! Got NAPA to order (rebuilt) PS pump. I know I should of replaced this with the frontend off, but without too much blood I have a not leaking pump on before heading out on another 'test trip'. Go 50 miles down the road and the alternator belt comes off. I pull into a truck stop and wait the cool down period (this is like buying a gun). Put a belt on, start it up and THE PS PUMP'S NOT PUMPING!!!! Not only can you not steer these things w/o that pump, stopping is a real chore too. Back to the shop, back to NAPA. With new(rebuilt) pump installed (I'm getting good at this and I don't want to be good at this). Now the next 'test trip'. Got 65 miles and throw the damn alternation belt. Rest area just ahead so I hold out for it. But this time the A/C belt got taken out by the alternator belt, so no drive to water pump and she got HOT quick! I replace the A/C and the alternator belt (this is getting expensive! No more spares) and press on. This time the alternator belt comes off in 10 miles! I check to be sure the A/C belt is still on the water pump, take the battery cables off the battery isolator and put under one post, fire the generator up and off we go.
I have a problem with alinement.
Back in the shop: Pulled the guts out of the front and can see that the alternator pulley is 3/8" out if plum. The dang thing is soooo cocked. I can't figure anyway to uncock it. I go to the junk yard and am going to go to the per-smog pump setup. He's got them, wants $50 for them.... BITE ME! I can buy nice chrome plated one for $25, which I do. After grinding and cutting and welding and making a 3 1/2 spacer for the new 6 1/2" pivot bolt and 2 washers under the water pump pulley I can lay a straight edge across all the pulleys. Went from a 52 7/8" to a 46 3/8" long belt too.

Now the engine overhaul: The computer can't handle the new engine, so, it's in Tennessee right now getting a prom job. Hope to be running again soon.

Name:	IMAG0150.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	192248
Old alternator brackets, they go in the tub with all smog junk.

Name:	IMAG0148.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	192249
New shiny alternator brackets installed.
I am going to get this thing done!!!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
You are a Trouper!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Keep us posted.