Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
P30/32 Engine waterpump Replacement

Has anyone had the occasion to replace a leaking waterpump? If so how big was the job? My mech says that the rad etc has to be removed to gain access.
Seems like a big job and $$$

Thanks
Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Steve, the water pump replacement is done from inside the coach through the dog house cover. Under the entertainment center at the front of the dog house cover is a panel that must be unbolted and removed. This is where the dog house cover hinges in the front. Remove that panel and you will be looking straight down to the water pump. Leave the dog house in place to lay on while R&Ring the pump. Remove the belts...make sure to diagram how they go. Place a piece of cardboard between the fan and radiator to protect the radiator. Unbolt the fan and lay it up against the protected radiator. Remove the fan clutch and replace it also at this time. Use an original AC Delco fan clutch. R&R the water pump. When reinstalling the lower hose on the pump make sure not to push it on so far that it contacts one of the fan belts. Replace the small water pump bypass hose. Hopefully you have a '84-85 or newer with the horizontal radiator otherwise the upper and lower radiator hoses are not available. Replace the thermostat while you are in there. The job is very doable and not really anymore time consuming then average. I've done this myself as well as replacing my fan clutch 3 times until I stopped using the Autozone type cheap parts. You will also find a lot of discussion here on using race car parts...my opinion, don't. I use the standard oem pump and factory temp rated thermostat. Quality parts are important...you don't want to be doing this job again.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Access to front of engine via panel in front of dog house...(oh my, check out that old "rose" colored carpet!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6428.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	251475  
Old 11-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Now that I'm on airforums via my PC instead of my iphone, I see that you have a Land Yacht and not a Classic, but I'm going to make a wild guess that all might still apply.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My guess is that when you take off the doghouse cover you will see the back of the a/c compressor, unless you cut or saw under the area of the tv you will not be able to reach the water pump. Mine doesn't have a removeable shelf, probably should have put one in when I was changing the tv to flatscreen. It still might be easier than removing a/c radiator, fan and then the radiator doing it all by way of the front opening. I still don't know how the a/c mechanics that replaced the serpentine belt were able to do it, maybe they discovered a way of removing the bottom shelf or had thinner arms than mine, must not have been too hard or they would have charged for it They had the old belt out when they replaced the compressor. Take some pictures if they find the atternate way of getting to the water pump, looks like another place I will have to watch for leaks. How did you determine it was water pump? mine was leaking antifreeze after climbing a couple of mountains, but it was just the hose connections above the radiator, leaking when hot and stressed.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I did the fan clutch that way on my 325, and I swore never again...still had to remove the alternator and one of the two air pumps to get the fan clutch out. Had the whole nose off the 325 last winter and changed everything while I was there. Check out "it's never done" for the pictures under "Classic Motorhomes" section on the forum. I am in the process of taking the nose off again to replace the radiator with a four row and put a seven blade fan on to replace the original 5 blade.
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Thanks All for your input. Since this will be a job in the spring, I was just wanting info. The book says to remove the top fan shroud , belt, drain etc but it is not model specific. @Dave, I will check the hose connections to see if that is where the leak is or whether it is the pump itself. Thanks for your experience as we have the same model and year. I did notice the coolant overflow container was showing lower levels and also drip marks when parked. Will add to this thread when the work gets done in the spring. I have some fotos with the doghouse removed so just have to find them.

Regards
Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote