Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
just for the record

As for diesels, last night I had a last-minute customer with a VW Jetta, that required a quick repair. I jumped in, turned the key, threw the transmission into gear, and shot into the first available bay in the shop.
After getting out, and walking behind the car, I noticed a small chrome tag on the deck lid. This chrome tag had three letters, and thouroughly suprised me, as those letters spelled out "TDI". A quick check of the fuel gauge confirmed this, as it was labeled "DIESEL FUEL ONLY". I reached back in, and restarted the car. I heard the faintest knocking from under the hood, and no fumes. Truck diesels are another story as far as noise, but not as much as you would think from past performance.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Lightbulb Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
One note on the warrantee. It's a 75,000 - 36 month deal. My bet is you would gain more from a longer warrantee with fewer miles since most motorhomes don't crank out 25,000 miles a year. Of course your actual mileage may vary.
Steven,

Great addition. It has been a while since I looked at the Jasper line up.

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Wow, well that is a LOT of good info! I have been talking with people I know and doing some serious "soul searching" and I think I am leaning toward a gas engine; mainly because of initial cost/labor. The things that I would have to change in order to make this work would add up to be more time and money than I think we can afford.

I am definately going to look into the Jasper that you mentioned! That really does sound like it could be a good deal; as mentioned I will have to weigh the time vs milage warantee. Being that this rig is used mostly as a tourbus and less as a recreational (or personal) vehicle I would imagine that it might see a few more miles than a typical "mom rv" that gets driven to some vacation spot once or twice a year.

I realise that none of you will be doing the actual work on my machine but just as a side note, I was thinking (since I can not actually replace a 900lb engine myself) that I might be able to save a few $$ if I do a majority of the "dismantle" prior and the re-assembly after things are installed (radiator, pumps, exhaust, fuel lines, perhaps heads, etc. etc.). I would suppose it would depend on the mechanic I go to...but it seems logical. It also seems logical that they will try to screw me either way.

Well I will be doing more research and I'm sure asking more questions! Your responses are fantastic thanks!!

-Logan
pillageTHENburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Pictures...

IF you decide to dismantle the motor yourself - take LOTS of pictures of hose routing, mounting brackets, etc. When doing my Astro, it helped immensly to have these to reference later. I'm not sure how much you'd save, as taking it apart is the easy part.... but again, you should check around.

Check around on prices for the accessories. You may save (buying online - try partsamerica.com or others) by buying the alternator, powersteering pump, belts, waterpump, etc yourself and supplying them to the mechanic. Remember, he/she needs to feed the family, so "screwing you" really isn't intention, rather, it's the going price of doing labor.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
Marc

Hey - Summitracing sells a GM Parts crate HO 454 for $4800! I'd call to make sure it's right for Motorhomes, but the specs are pretty good!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillageTHENburn
Wow, well that is a LOT of good info! I have been talking with people I know and doing some serious "soul searching" and I think I am leaning toward a gas engine; mainly because of initial cost/labor. The things that I would have to change in order to make this work would add up to be more time and money than I think we can afford.

I am definately going to look into the Jasper that you mentioned! That really does sound like it could be a good deal; as mentioned I will have to weigh the time vs milage warantee. Being that this rig is used mostly as a tourbus and less as a recreational (or personal) vehicle I would imagine that it might see a few more miles than a typical "mom rv" that gets driven to some vacation spot once or twice a year.

I realise that none of you will be doing the actual work on my machine but just as a side note, I was thinking (since I can not actually replace a 900lb engine myself) that I might be able to save a few $$ if I do a majority of the "dismantle" prior and the re-assembly after things are installed (radiator, pumps, exhaust, fuel lines, perhaps heads, etc. etc.). I would suppose it would depend on the mechanic I go to...but it seems logical. It also seems logical that they will try to screw me either way.

Well I will be doing more research and I'm sure asking more questions! Your responses are fantastic thanks!!

-Logan
Just a thought... I've been through this before with an engine replacement. If you can possibly afford it, get the installing shop to do the WHOLE job. At least that way if there's a problem, it's their baby and not yours. Besides, I suspect they are going to get the money one way or another .

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote