Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question Auxiliary Heater water control valve

Does anyone know if NAPA, or anyone else, carries a water control valve that will replace the original used on the auxiliary heaters that came in some of the longer coaches? It's the heater that uses engine coolant through an exchanger to provide additional heat farther back in the coach. It's controlled by a cable (like a choke cable years ago). My valve is frozen in the open position, so the cable can't move it at all . Hope I'm not repeating a thread.
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I think so, but bring it with you. One thing you might try is to remove it and soak it in CLR for a night. I got mine moving again after a good soak and a little "persuation" with a hammer.

I also think these can be purchased as "repair parts" kind of generic repair part design to fit multiple applications.

JCWitney has a complete replacement kit for hot rods, but I think you could save some money just taking your old one to your favorite parts guy (NAPA or AutoZone). You might end up with something from another truck model, etc. but these are pretty generic items.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I think so, but bring it with you. One thing you might try is to remove it and soak it in CLR for a night. I got mine moving again after a good soak and a little "persuation" with a hammer.

I also think these can be purchased as "repair parts" kind of generic repair part design to fit multiple applications.

JCWitney has a complete replacement kit for hot rods, but I think you could save some money just taking your old one to your favorite parts guy (NAPA or AutoZone). You might end up with something from another truck model, etc. but these are pretty generic items.
Steven,

In my plotting to attack this job I had thought about the potential of freeing the valve up by removing and soaking it. Thanks for the encouragement. I've had time to talk with the local NAPA guys, and they seemed certain they could match up something that would work. The complete kit looks workable, but I agree about saving some money buying just a valve. (Besides, the 370 is fairly quick, as far as MHs go, but it's no hot rod.)

As soon as I get the time, I'm going to remove the old valve and attempt your suggestion. I'll post the outcome.

Thanks for the help.

Tim
Old 12-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have room to install an auxiliary heater under my side seat. What all would it take and where could it be purchased? I saw the control at J.C. Whitney. Our coach just does not warm up when we drive and we like to use it during the winter months. I run the gen-set and an electric space heater, plus have rerouted the heat ducts and improved the fan motor flow so no more can be gained up front. I need heat in the back.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I have room to install an auxiliary heater under my side seat. What all would it take and where could it be purchased? I saw the control at J.C. Whitney. Our coach just does not warm up when we drive and we like to use it during the winter months. I run the gen-set and an electric space heater, plus have rerouted the heat ducts and improved the fan motor flow so no more can be gained up front. I need heat in the back.
Chaplain Kent,

I love my auxiliary heater. Of course, it's the factory job, but I have looked around and found several at the following link. One specifically has through-the-floor connections, which is basically how A/S did mine. Mine puts out so much heat I have to cut it down, and I'm talking about heat in the whole 37' coach. It's located just in front of the bath under the kitchen cook top at floor level, which is not quite 2/3 of the way back. Manual doesn't tell me how many BTU it puts out, so I have no idea, but the 2-speed blower actually controls how fast the heat gets distributed. You will need a "Y" in your heater hoses at the engine, heavy-duty hose to carry and return the coolant to the heater (I'd install shut-offs on both lines at the engine to avoid a catastrophic leak inside your coach), 12v power to run the blower, and a control valve (may come with heater) to control how much water flows through the unit (mine has a cable connected to the valve under the counter that allows me to control more or less water to the unit). A 90 degree elbow through the floor would be helpful, and a liner through the floor of an over sized hose to stop any chaffing there. I probably have missed something, but that's the basic idea. I hope this helps, at least as a starter. You might also check with your local NAPA store, but since you need the complete kit I suspect you will need something more along the line of what J.C. Whitney has. Let me know what you decide.

Tim

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...002307/c-10101