Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #61
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Just found a picture Keyair posted some time ago of his Airbag set-up and it shows just the center thread being used for the bottom mounting and none of the other 2 mounting threads. Kinda odd, but I guess thats how its supposed to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85Bags.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	168257  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
One 1\2-13 all tread stud in the bottom, double nut. Lock tite on the end that goes into the bag. 2 3/8-16 bolts on the top. I have the same bags. I can send you an instruction help guide if you would like.
Boy can you get a great shot with the tank down!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1303.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	168488  
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #63
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadmaxman View Post
One 1\2-13 all tread stud in the bottom, double nut. Lock tite on the end that goes into the bag. 2 3/8-16 bolts on the top. I have the same bags. I can send you an instruction help guide if you would like.
Boy can you get a great shot with the tank down!

Yes, thanks, the guide would be awesome. Still curious to see how to use double nuts inside that mounting frame...
AIR #13
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Guide

Nick you have mail, but could not get the whole guide on there. Here is the guide that I made years ago. Sorry that there is no photos on this. I will work on that.

If there is still a sticker tag in the center of the lower carrier facing towards the rear, your in luck for making sure that you will get the right parts from ACE. If you still have that tag in place, record the number with your other information for your coach. This is a link to American Carrier Equipment in California. American Carrier Equipment - American Carrier Equipment, Inc. Home Not much of a web site for them. To get information and ordering parts, best way is to call:

Paul Toelke
info@trailer1.com
Production Engineer
American Carrier Equipment, Inc.
2285 E. Date Ave., Fresno, CA. 93706
1-800-344-2174; 559/442-1500

If you are going to work on this unit, For $2.00 or so BUY THE SERVICE MANUAL!!!
Also they are called American Carrier Systems ACS.
My unit is 8015 and is superseded by Model 8050 (same components)
Here is a shot of the location of the Serial number tag:

Here will be some of the components that we will be working with:
You can purchase all that is needed from ACE, manuals and parts, but I purchased the Firestone bags from Truck Suspension, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Air Bags, Timbren, Leaf Springs - TruckSpring.com

The Firestone air bag number from Truckspring.com: W01-358-5412
ACE Part number: 8003-011

One of the problems I have seen in other forums is that some people have listed the wrong air bags for people to get. The bags needed for our rigs have an internal stop to keep you up if for some reason you loose air. Also while setting, the system as it looses air will rest on these internal stops.

With this system on the P30 chassis, it has a system built into it that will keep the rear from wagging. If the Transverse Rod Bushing and Straddle pin get worn, you could have a wag!

You can replace these without taking down the spring beam. I removed mine so that I could check all the bolts, clean and paint.

I have seen some of the spring beams broken, and would place a bet that someone has drove the rig with out good air bags or no air in the bags. When Airstream place this unit on our rigs, they cut off the back side of the springs leaving them almost like a steel bar for a suspension with out the air bags not working. Airstream recommends that we not go over 40 mph if the air bag system is not working right (no air etc.). So keep your air bag system working properly or you will have many other problems that you don't want.

Here is some replacement part numbers from ACE:

4 needed of 7572-102 Transverse Rod Bushing
2 needed of 5506-001 Straddle Pin
2 needed of 8003-011 Air Spring or (Firestone Bag as talked about earlier)

All bolts should be OK. If you want to replace bolts and nuts, replace with only the recommended Grade of bolt. Most American Standard bolt markings on the head are as listed: 3 marks will be a Grade 5 bolt, and 6, Grade 8.

Here is a shot of the Transverse Rod when bags are down, and when they are to height.

Notice how the air bags are also inflated. First is with 40 lbs. of air, they start picking up the coach at 70 lbs. The Height Control Valve shuts off air supply to the bags just under 80 lbs.

I think that Airstream recommends to only travel at 40 mph (as talked about earlier) if not inflated to operating pressure. My compressor is set up kick in at just under 80 Lbs and out at 90 lbs. I have tried to hit 100 lbs, but the compressor don't like it.

As you see in the photo the pins and yellow neoprene bushings with steel washers backing them. Paul told me if the washers are loose from the bushings, they should be replaced.

Before replacing anything on this carriage, you will need to block up the axle to the frame. Measure the height while the bags are inflated, (if they are working) then cut a block or crib 2x4 or 2x6's to allow all the pressure to be removed from the air bag carrier. You can also use some heavy jack stands to place under the frame to the floor for extra protection.

To remove the spring beam, first place a jack under and about the center, and make sure all pressure is off the unit. Remove the linkage to the air valve, using two 7/16" wrenches. You will be removing bolts out the bottom for the air bags 3/4" socket, bolts for the pins holding in the straddle pins 5/8" wrench and socket, and the end bolts of the spring beam to the shackle 3/4" wrench and socket. The all tread rod going into the air bags might come out completely, that will be OK, but there are two nuts on the end of the all thread up inside the spring beam. It would be OK to remove all the bolts for the straddle pins.

The bolts in the shackles, could interfere with the tire. Mine just made it past them with a little force. Remember this spring beam is heavy and you do not want it dropping on you, BE CAREFULL!

After you have the spring beam down, you can first remove the air fittings on the top of the air bags. There will be two 3/8" bolts on each side of the air fitting holding the air bag. Using a 9/16 box end or short ratchet, remove the air bags from the top frame. Do not damage the air fittings.

If not removing the spring beam, remove the air bag bolts and the bolts holding in the straddle pins. If the all thread rod stays in the air bag, after you remove the top bolts and air fittings, you will be able to move the bag to clear the threaded rod.

The bushings in the transverse rod should come right out. If the metal backing plates were loose, they are already off. You will see the new ones are molded on. The bushings will come right out of the transverse rod and new ones will go right back in. You will see the pins look worn at where they contact the bushings. Good rule of thumb is while your are at it, don't skimp, replace both pins and bushings.

After replacing the bushings you will be able to bolt the transverse rod, bushings and pins right back in place.

Replace air bags in reverse order you took them out. When connecting the air fittings, make sure that you keep the fittings clean and check for leaks.

The top bolts of the air bags, oiled 20 ft. lbs. ( I could not get a torque wrench on the bolt heads just as tight as I could with my Craftsman 9/16 box end wrench.

Bottom all thread rod: Use Loctite No. 271 on the end that goes into the Piston (bottom bag mount).
On bottom of all thread rod going through spring beam, first 1/2" SAE flat washer
Then 2, 1/2-13 NC Hex nuts on each rod. Torque the first nut to 55 ft. Lbs. Oiled.
Place second nut on and do not exceed the same torque.

If you have taken down the spring beam, the shackle bolts will torque to 130 ft. lbs. Oiled.
Straddle Pin bolts, torque to 55 ft. lbs. Oiled

Air System

The new air valve used: Lear Siegler Inc. Neway Division 90054007 or 90054387

My system is tight enough so that it will keep the coach up and not drop below 70 psi for a week plus. I would say if your system does not do at least that, you need to chase down your air leaks. If you do not find an external leak, the check valve for the compressor could be the problem. If it drops down in a days time, I would say it is a must that you find your leak!

Height adjustment for the air bag, top to bottom of bag will be 10 5/8"

For the air valve, there is only one used on this system. Two with the Henschen CMA tag axle and mounted at the tag axle and controls each bag independent, but uses one air system. You can do small adjustments to the height with the adjustment on the valve. The OEM set up had the mount for the rod pointing down. That really hurts if you catch that bracket while servicing under there. I re-welded the bracket and shortened the rod to make more clearance while under the rear of the coach. With the Henschen system, it is more complicated, and I have not done one.

Here are some of the things to look for on the air valve.

To adjust the height you will loosen the "adjusting lock nut". Be careful and make small adjustments. The valve when working properly, will have about a 5 second delay, so make sure that you take your time. Make sure that you have plenty of air and that your compressor is working properly. You must have 70 lbs of air plus!

From ACE:
When the external actuating lever moves to the intake position (up), the intake valve opens and supply air passes through to the air springs. When the external actuating are move to the exhaust position (down), the exhaust valve opens to allow excess air to pass from the air springs to the atmosphere.
A check valve in the intake fitting prevents pressure loss from the air springs if the high pressure air supply is interrupted. the valve has a five second time delay to prevent unnecessary actuation while the vehicle is negotiating uneven terrain at operating speeds and also has a 3/8" dead zone at the actuating lever end to eliminate "hunt and seek" action.

Like I said at the first of this, BUY THE SERVICE MANUAL from ACE. You can not go wrong if you do your on work. ACS or ACE what ever you want to say, was great to work with and was glad to answer any questions that I had. Do not hesitate to give Paul a call with your problems.

Please PM me if you have any questions about this DIY, I will be glad to help anyway that I can.

God Bless, and good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Great write up Chris. I have changed the bushings on mine with no problems. Not a difficult job at all. ACE did suggest I carefully check the traverse rod for wear and replace if necessary. The other thing I would add is somewhere around '81-'82 there was a change in the ride height dimension. My '82 280 is set at 8-1/2" I tried the 10-5/8" but the traverse rod was at a steep angle and the bags were severely extended. I believe it uses a different air bag also. I reset to 8-1/2" and all is good.

As I have said before it is a very simple system that works well.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #66
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Just what I was hoping for, thank you Chris!!
They have done vast improvement on the Air ride system over the years.
This is what it looked like in 79
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airbag.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	168505  
AIR #13
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Your are right in the improvement's over the years. The years before Thor Industries, they needed something, but just did an add on. With the complete system, this allowed much more room aft of the rear axle, much smoother ride, and paved the way for the tag axle addition. I think that Henschen did the chassis work for Airstream. My thinking on this is on some information that was on my fuel tank when I took it down.

Looks like it wast shipped to Henschen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1289.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	168514  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Reading through this thread brings up a question I've been wanting to ask for quite some time. My 1974 20' Argosy mh doesn't have an air ride suspension. However from the 345 that I've been dismantling I will have a complete rear air suspension system available. My thought has been to remove the springs and balance of suspension from the Argosy and attempt to install the air ride suspension from the 345.

Granted I have not yet done any measuring to see if any of the components are even close to fitting so this may be way more work that it is worth. I know there are after market air bag suspensions that mount to the side of the frame that cost around $300 or so and are a bolt one item. I even installed one such system on an old Coachmen 20' motorhome we had years ago.

So the question is would it be worth it in terms of time and effort (and $) to try and install the 1986 345 air ride system on the 74 Argosy?

Thanks,

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
Reading through this thread brings up a question I've been wanting to ask for quite some time. My 1974 20' Argosy mh doesn't have an air ride suspension. However from the 345 that I've been dismantling I will have a complete rear air suspension system available. My thought has been to remove the springs and balance of suspension from the Argosy and attempt to install the air ride suspension from the 345.

Granted I have not yet done any measuring to see if any of the components are even close to fitting so this may be way more work that it is worth. I know there are after market air bag suspensions that mount to the side of the frame that cost around $300 or so and are a bolt one item. I even installed one such system on an old Coachmen 20' motorhome we had years ago.

So the question is would it be worth it in terms of time and effort (and $) to try and install the 1986 345 air ride system on the 74 Argosy?

Thanks,

Brad
I think that would be awesome as long as the springs from the 345 aren't too stiff...I think that would provide a much better ride then putting on helper air bags.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I think that would be awesome as long as the springs from the 345 aren't too stiff...I think that would provide a much better ride then putting on helper air bags.
This is where I get a little confused (ok, maybe a lot confused!)

The arrangement of the air ride springs, i.e. one end cut off, leads me to think that the spring really doesn't have much to do with overall ride quality. To me the springs seem to me more like connecting rods to hold the axle in the correct fore/aft alignment and for the axle to have something to connect to.

I say this because of the air ride arrangement is very similar to the rear axle arrangement for a Triumph Spitfire. The Spitfire axle is a swing axle arrangement where the outer end of the axle is connected to to a rod that runs forward to a body/frame mount. The axles are connected to a diff in the center with a traverse spring providing suspension. The air bags on the 345 act like the traverse spring and the leaf springs on the 345 act like the tie rods on the Spitfire. I might be over simplifying this but I don't know.

Maybe the worst case is I could cut the Argosy axles like the 345 which means I have the same springs with an air ride suspension thrown in.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
This is where I get a little confused (ok, maybe a lot confused!)

The arrangement of the air ride springs, i.e. one end cut off, leads me to think that the spring really doesn't have much to do with overall ride quality. To me the springs seem to me more like connecting rods to hold the axle in the correct fore/aft alignment and for the axle to have something to connect to.

I say this because of the air ride arrangement is very similar to the rear axle arrangement for a Triumph Spitfire. The Spitfire axle is a swing axle arrangement where the outer end of the axle is connected to to a rod that runs forward to a body/frame mount. The axles are connected to a diff in the center with a traverse spring providing suspension. The air bags on the 345 act like the traverse spring and the leaf springs on the 345 act like the tie rods on the Spitfire. I might be over simplifying this but I don't know.

Maybe the worst case is I could cut the Argosy axles like the 345 which means I have the same springs with an air ride suspension thrown in.

Brad
What set up is on the 34.5? Is it the same ACS set up shown in cmadmaxman's pictures? If the answer is yes then the change over should be fairly easy. On mine you can see where they burned the back of the springs off with a torch, didn't even grind the slag off. Weld the "spring stirrup" on the spring and mount the cross members and you are 90% there.

Good luck, Dan
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
...Maybe the worst case is I could cut the Argosy axles like the 345 which means I have the same springs with an air ride suspension thrown in.

Brad
I actually meant cut the Argosy springs not axles
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
What set up is on the 34.5? Is it the same ACS set up shown in cmadmaxman's pictures? If the answer is yes then the change over should be fairly easy. On mine you can see where they burned the back of the springs off with a torch, didn't even grind the slag off. Weld the "spring stirrup" on the spring and mount the cross members and you are 90% there.
Dan,

I believe it is the same as in the pictures provided by cmadmaxman. I'll have to crawl under the 345 tomorrow to make sure.

They left the springs on the 345 and our 310 with the same slag. Sloppy workmanship if you ask me.

As much as I would like to use the rear disc brakes from the 345 I'm pretty sure there would be no way to move them over to the Argosy without a lot of work and probably expense so I would stay with the Argosy axle.

I think I just need to spend a bunch of time underneath both motorhomes, take lots of pictures and measurements. The tale of the tape is what I need now

Thanks!

Brad
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Dan,

I believe it is the same as in the pictures provided by cmadmaxman. I'll have to crawl under the 345 tomorrow to make sure.

They left the springs on the 345 and our 310 with the same slag. Sloppy workmanship if you ask me.

As much as I would like to use the rear disc brakes from the 345 I'm pretty sure there would be no way to move them over to the Argosy without a lot of work and probably expense so I would stay with the Argosy axle.

I think I just need to spend a bunch of time underneath both motorhomes, take lots of pictures and measurements. The tale of the tape is what I need now

Thanks!

Brad
Brad I'd be tempted to swap the rear axles. As I understand the disc brake axle is heavier than the drum brake axle, larger axle tubes maybe bigger bearings etc. It also probably has fewer miles than the Argosy, 12 years newer. You would need the trans tail shaft and parking brake and master cylinder. It would be a bit of work but you would have a sweet set up and a head start on the air bag suspension. With the work you've already done on the two coaches it doesn't seem like the time to start taking the easy way out.

Cheers, Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad I'd be tempted to swap the rear axles. As I understand the disc brake axle is heavier than the drum brake axle, larger axle tubes maybe bigger bearings etc. It also probably has fewer miles than the Argosy, 12 years newer. You would need the trans tail shaft and parking brake and master cylinder. It would be a bit of work but you would have a sweet set up and a head start on the air bag suspension. With the work you've already done on the two coaches it doesn't seem like the time to start taking the easy way out.

Cheers, Dan
Dan,

I've thought about that but two things concern me. I think the gear ratio for the 345 is going to be a lot different (taller) than for the smaller 20' Argosy (shorter) and the hubs are 10 bolt on the 345 and 8 bolt on the Argosy. The bolt pattern might not be to hard to over come but the gear ration is a whole different matter.

I don't necessarily want to take the easy way out but I also don't want to tear into a differential either. More things to have to figure out.

Decisions, decisions

Brad
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Dan,

I've thought about that but two things concern me. I think the gear ratio for the 345 is going to be a lot different (taller) than for the smaller 20' Argosy (shorter) and the hubs are 10 bolt on the 345 and 8 bolt on the Argosy. The bolt pattern might not be to hard to over come but the gear ration is a whole different matter.

I don't necessarily want to take the easy way out but I also don't want to tear into a differential either. More things to have to figure out.

Decisions, decisions

Brad
I think most of the longer rigs have 4:56 gears with the 19.5" wheels. I don't have a clue what the Argosy might have for gears. With the small block they might use the 4:56 also. I wonder if you could use the same upper and lower ball joints and just swap the spindles. Then you could run the 10 bolt 19.5's all the way around. As long as you have gone this far you might as well just drop the Cummins in it.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I think most of the longer rigs have 4:56 gears with the 19.5" wheels. I don't have a clue what the Argosy might have for gears. With the small block they might use the 4:56 also. I wonder if you could use the same upper and lower ball joints and just swap the spindles. Then you could run the 10 bolt 19.5's all the way around. As long as you have gone this far you might as well just drop the Cummins in it.
I'm hoping the Argosy has 4:10 gears but at this point I really don't know.

This weekend I plan on taking a bunch of pictures of the Argosy and 345 front & rear suspensions and do some comparisons. I'm not sure I want to put 19.5 wheels on the Argosy. We only have two of the aluminum Alcoa wheels left which means I would need to run steel 19.5 wheels.

As for the Cummins, let's just say I would love to do it but with an new 454 sitting on the engine stand it probably won't happen

Regardless, it's a fun project to think about and I'll keep trying to make a little progress here and there to keep the project moving forward.

Brad
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #78
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Finally got around to removing the old airbags. What a pain to get to the 2 bolts from the top.Then we had to rotate the bag to unscrew it from the air fitting. Did not see any other way to do that. Any suggestions from someone who has done this?
Now to get the new ones installed....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oldbags.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	169149   Click image for larger version

Name:	bagfitting.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	169150  

AIR #13
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #79
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
The center stud should be installed on the bench using locktide. After its tightened a sleeve and another nut needs to be tightened down. Then we held the airfitting with some good pliers and carefully turned the new bag onto the thread as tight as it would go while lining up the upper 2 bolt holes with the airbag threads at the same time. Make sure you use a fair amount of white plumbers/air fitting tape on your air supply thread.
My good friend Joe, who helped me with this just told me to mention: make sure you have someone that is very agile, has small hand with a lot of strength and doesn't mind to get dirty and use a damn power washer next time to wash off some dirt prior to the party...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airbagstud.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	169162  
AIR #13
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
The center stud should be installed on the bench using locktide. After its tightened a sleeve and another nut needs to be tightened down. Then we held the airfitting with some good pliers and carefully turned the new bag onto the thread as tight as it would go while lining up the upper 2 bolt holes with the airbag threads at the same time. Make sure you use a fair amount of white plumbers/air fitting tape on your air supply thread.
My good friend Joe, who helped me with this just told me to mention: make sure you have someone that is very agile, has small hand with a lot of strength and doesn't mind to get dirty and use a damn power washer next time to wash off some dirt prior to the party...
I'm not trying to be difficult but out of curiosity is there a reason you can't just use a bolt of the proper length on the bottom? It just seems like less hassle then studs and sleeves and double nuts and such.

Cheers, Dan