Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
sketches;

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #16
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
ok, plans has been revised. new sketches w/ layout....

#1. floorplan.
#2. sideview. the thing on the right that looks like a wall is a closet.
#4 &5: side view and top-down view of showerpan. will have a 1.5" w x 3.5" H curb in doorway. funky little triangle shooting out of closet is showerhead.

cabinet / vanity will contain 25gal greywater tank.. closet will have 30 gal greywater. smaller tank will flush out blackwater tank. bigger tank will have its own release valve.

on top of the cabinet will be a small stainless vessel sink. entire bath is alum / SS (showerpan / flooring).

a rough sketch;

blackwater tank is existing. grey will both be new.
closet will also contain an on demand LP water heater & shower waste pump.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
WOW, looks like you scored an awesome GT, congratulations are in order! The GT is just such a perfect size/weight, especially around '62.

Quite a list you got there, too. I was fortunate to find a horse-work-trailer shop that put me a new complete Dexter axle on for $600 installed.

You will be able to find most of the information you need here on the forums....an amazing resource I never would have started without.

For ideas on renovating/restoring, Google David Winnick... look at what Uwe and others here have done, especially a guy named Carlos Ferguson. The level of craft and design is stunning with these guys...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
rick, i had actually seen carlos' trailer and read the entire thread. amazing work. took a look at winnick's stuff, also really nice.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
here's an update; last week we tested the appliances and made templates for the end caps. after much debate, we decided to remove the stove and fridge. the fridge is not nearly large enough for our needs, and the oven is only a waste of space for us. while we were at it, we figured we could add a foot of counter and storage space to the end , so we have removed everything. this was a bit more then i had bargained for... but so it goes.

so this weekend we begun stripping the zolotone. it was peeling in places, especially on the ceiling; i was considering soda blasting, but to sub it out was too expensive ($500 - $700 depending on how much material used) and i wouldn't be able to DIY as there are neighbors very close by (small lot, would blow everywhere).

based on recommendations from this forum, we started with citristrip. after testing another brand of stripper from sherwin williams, we decided to go back to home depot for more citristrip. while there, we picked up some KleenStrip (i think thats the name?) which was infinately better, faster and 'cleaner' if possible.

the gels (like citristrip) i found to only get through one layer at a time, and it came off in a soupy mess. the kleen strip almost like, dried it out - bubbled up , worked all the way through the layers, straight to the aluminum. also worked fairly quickly and came with a spray bottle for easy application.

this is how far we got; we'll need another day to finish up the ceiling, rivets, and crevices.

overall, i wish i was able to do the soda blasting instead. this was really messy, and after the cost of stripper, respirators, gloves, rags, steel pads, plastic scrapers, etc., i could have bought the soda blaster and 100lbs of material at harbor freight.... and i think (hope) it would have been faster too. this is the result of 20 man-hours; i expect another 15-20 to finish up.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I think the advice to restore, not remodel, is right on as you have found a trailer in AMAZING condition.

If you reconsider your counter top plan, check out this table support:

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

a neat $20 option that might fit the bill
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
cabinet / vanity will contain 25gal greywater tank.. closet will have 30 gal greywater. smaller tank will flush out blackwater tank. bigger tank will have its own release valve.

a rough sketch;

blackwater tank is existing. grey will both be new.
How big is the potable water tank? Two FULL grey water tanks, which hold 55 gallons would weigh over 450 lbs. This is a lot of additional weight in such a small trailer. Add to that what you have in the black tank and the weight of the tanks themselves and you probably can't add anything else including pots, pans, dishes, food, and clothes....

If you have a specific need for more holding capacity than normal, why not think about using a portable unit? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Maybe if you state you needs/desires someone here will have a suggestion.

Carol
Old 01-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #22
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Not only is that alot of grey water weight, it is too far away from the axle and is too far above the floor for the sinks to drain properly. The best location is below the floor between the frame rails. This would require either lifting the floor or coming up through the belly pan to install.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
brad,
in the bathroom the gray tank s are only raised 6". plus we are adding a vessel sink, so it's a wash.

the kitchen sink will be less than 2" away with plenty of room for a trap and enough rise to drain properly; my dad is doing the plumbing / design and he's been a contractor for 30+ yrs.

on the other hand, the weight, when full, may be an issue. however, i do not expect to be filling them regularly. we are more 'weekend' campers, and when we move to NC we will be hooked up directly to sewer / water / electric anyway. the 2 tanks was more so it would fit within our design than anything else; but i will keep it in mind.

what do you think is a safe amt of gray water to carry? most of the gray will be in the larger tank, which does abut the wheel well and is 46" long.

the other tank is just taking bathroom sink water, which wont take more than 6-8 gal in a weekend...
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
carol;
potable tank is just 30 gal.
also re: weight; we are going to come in approx 300 lbs short of original weight of 2700lbs and will get new 3500 lb axles too...

we weighed the weight of all old appliances, water heater, heater, and deducted new appliance weight. aside from that there's really only the weight of new holding tanks, but that should be much more, if any, than the original alum h2o tank... (dont know what it would weight it was missing when we got it).

also remember we removed the streetside gaucho, it's going to be replaced w/ lightweight countertop, so i will be very interested to see what the final weight is.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Water weighs 8.35 pounds a gallon so your 30 gallon potable tank, if/when full, would weigh 250 pounds. Considering that using this potable water some will go into the grey water tank and some in the black and some will be consumed, however most will go into the grey. Looks like you're planning on 55 gallons of grey water capacity with the two tanks but I'm not sure why you feel the need for more grey water capacity than the fresh water tank holds.

With the two tanks, why not just make the one next to the black tank smaller so it can sit directly on the floor next to the black? Then you'll not need to provide so much weight support under it and loose the space below for storage. The other grey tank could also sit on the floor.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #26
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
ok, forgot the camera for the last 2 weeks. heres some updated pics.
my pops has been workin' the plumbing in the bathroom while we continue to strop the zolatone.

advice to the masses: DON'T STRIP ZOLATONE!!! i read the advice and ignored it. now we've spent 4 weekends x 2 people stripping *&%$# zolatone. granted, it looks AWESOME, but... its not advised.

with regard to the endcap; i was going to do aluminum or wood panels; we've lost too many man hours stripping and recently saw a pic of an endcap painted, and we tested it, and i think it looks awesome. let me know what you think.

ok, let's skip the complaining and get to the pics.

the endcap painted with rustoleum oil glossy enamel. on the stripped alum i primed it with a rustoleum primer designed for aluminum.

heres the 2 tanks. the bottom pipe is the drain for both. the middle pipe is the vent for blackwater - not connected to either of the 2 pipes in the pic. top pipe is overflow - if either fills up it overflows to the other.

the vent from the blackwater tank meets the vent from greywater. on-demand LP HW heater ($100 - $150 ish? marey brand) sitting atop the tanks, waiting to be installed.

grey water tank that goes under the sink is shown above. we had planned to use this water to flush out the black water tank, but there isnt really enough room. dad put a T in the vent to flush the blackwater tank...

a look down the corner where the 2 tanks meet.

this looks back towards where the venting is - it's covered by a 'closet'. the tank is going to have a shelf on top of it. to the left, just out of the pic os the grey tank that's going to be under the sink. the hole in the wood will be covered by a door on a hinge.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #27
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post

advice to the masses: DON'T STRIP ZOLATONE!!! i read the advice and ignored it. now we've spent 4 weekends x 2 people stripping *&%$# zolatone. granted, it looks AWESOME, but... its not advised.

WOW! looking good, Carol!

if you're feeling at all like a long weekend away (Zolatone instruction, included ) - try this event >> http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...lly-61010.html

it's a long way, but we went last year, had a GREAT time, and we're going back again this June.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #28
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
last weekend it rained so hard some areas of NJ flooded. Our airstream had recently switched places in the driveway with my fathers dump truck - a tall pine tree fell in this storm and narrowly missed the trailer.

fortunately, she evaded trauma. this weekend, my fiancee and I came back to work on the trailer and help clean up the yard - removed the stump and filled in the hole with topsoil and seeded it ...

so, then we were able to get some work done on the trailer. we filled the tanks and have tested the plumbing. the first flushing of the blackwater tank, (unused for at least 7+ yrs) revealed that our sewer hose has a leak and was clogged with a LOT of insulation, sawdust, and mousie poo.

so a new hose is on order, and I would ask if anyone knows where i can locate a new lever for the 62blackwater tank 'gate' pull?

we also started stripping the exterior clear coat. oy! suggestions for methodology? using klean strip... sprayable and airplane stripper.

lastly, we installed the new sky light. we removed the old curbing, built a new curb of cedar, and wrapped the interior and exterior in aluminum. see pics below.

the birdies enjoyed the 70 - 73 degree days this weekend... and did a good job overseeing the airstream project.