Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Becky

Nice looking installation job on the ac.

Not to be negative, but I have some concern about how well the ac will perform as the outside of the ac unit is not at your typical outside air temperature (80 - 100 degrees) but will be confined air that may be 100-125 degrees (just guessing).

Dan

Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #268
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Becky

Nice looking installation job on the ac.

Not to be negative, but I have some concern about how well the ac will perform as the outside of the ac unit is not at your typical outside air temperature (80 - 100 degrees) but will be confined air that may be 100-125 degrees (just guessing).

Dan
The fresh air intake is through 2 holes cut in the floor of the trailer & will take are directly from outside. I'm confident it's getting enough fresh air from outside to perform. Toastie (who pioneered and invented this install) says his works well. I'll be trying it out when it gets a bit hotter!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #269
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Very "Cool" install. Does this mean my AC hanging from the front window is 'un-cool'?
Only if it doesn't work on a hot day!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #270
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Great job on the a/c Becky! Your project is moving along very well!
Doug

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #271
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=beckybillrae;1080860]I could move on to insulating. I chose Prodex again. I used it previously in my Sovereign's belly pan rehab project & could definitely tell the difference when I ran my air conditioner. I've finished one layer so far. Tedious, but mindless work! I'd hate to do a 31 footer! So, here's the obligatory pictures.....QUOTE]

Becky-

Some questions...why did you choose Advantech for your subfloor (I am about ready to start on my subfloor- front frame is FINALLY REPAIRED!) Not sure whether to use marine grade plywood or Advantech. Would use Nylaboard if I could afford it!

Concerning the Prodex insulation- did you use it under your subfloor and did you attach it to the interior of the outside skin or to the back of the interior skin pieces? I know you used lots of tape...

Thanks for any help you can offer here- we are about to start getting up and running again! So much to think about...

Ben
Old 06-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #272
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I chose Advantech because my son's friend used it as a cover for his firepit for over a year & it looks just like it did when he put it there (accept a little dirty!) I actually got a sample of Nyloboard. Really tuff stuff! However, it was really pricey! There are some people who think Advantech is just like the chipboard they used in the 80's in the AS's (which is what my '86 has in it). It's not. The formula of the glues they use is not the same. I'm pretty confident with a test of a year out in the elements. I know lots of people use marine plywood. It's just a choice you'll have to make.

I did use the Prodex under the subfloor. I used two layers, just like I did in my Sovereign, by gluing pink foam insulation strips to the first layer & nailing the second layer to it with plastic headed nails. On the interior, I put the first layer on the exterior wall & taped it to the ribs. I then used the pink foam insulation strips again for the air gap & taped the 2nd layer over the first. The only exception were the endcaps. I insulated the exterior wall & then the outside of the endcap (which was removed, obviously). It worked great for ease of getting the endcaps back up in place. I have some pictures posted of that process earlier in the thread. There are also different trains of thought on putting the insulation directly on the outside. I just did it that way and figure it should be fine!!! I ran the little a/c in there when it was 90 outside & it was pretty nice & cool, so I think the insulation is working pretty well.

I'm glad you have your frame repaired! Did you take your whole shell off? I guess you really tore her down after all! I haven't had a lot of time for my project lately. I polished up the Silver Place (Sovereign) for a few days & am going camping in a week for 2 weeks. Gotta look good for the campground! Hope you've found time to camp this summer!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #273
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
There are some people who think Advantech is just like the chipboard they used in the 80's in the AS's (which is what my '86 has in it). It's not. The formula of the glues they use is not the same. I'm pretty confident with a test of a year out in the elements. I know lots of people use marine plywood. It's just a choice you'll have to make.

I did use the Prodex under the subfloor. I used two layers, just like I did in my Sovereign, by gluing pink foam insulation strips to the first layer & nailing the second layer to it with plastic headed nails. On the interior, I put the first layer on the exterior wall & taped it to the ribs. I then used the pink foam insulation strips again for the air gap & taped the 2nd layer over the first. The only exception were the endcaps. I insulated the exterior wall & then the outside of the endcap (which was removed, obviously). It worked great for ease of getting the endcaps back up in place. I have some pictures posted of that process earlier in the thread. There are also different trains of thought on putting the insulation directly on the outside. I just did it that way and figure it should be fine!!! I ran the little a/c in there when it was 90 outside & it was pretty nice & cool, so I think the insulation is working pretty well.

I'm glad you have your frame repaired! Did you take your whole shell off? I guess you really tore her down after all! I haven't had a lot of time for my project lately. I polished up the Silver Place (Sovereign) for a few days & am going camping in a week for 2 weeks. Gotta look good for the campground! Hope you've found time to camp this summer!
Hi Becky,

I will see what the local lumber yards have around...have not checked on availability of Advantech yet. There are some good places locally, though, so I am sure I can get it. Thanks for the run down on that.

I did not know you needed to have an air gap with the Prodex. My belly pan might not come the whole way off, so I am not sure how I will get the styrofoam strips down there, but I am creative. The walls sound easier.

I did not take the body off the frame. All the frame repair work we did so far is shell-on. I exposed the entire front frame area (removed the first piece of subflooring to expose the front frame) and we took it from there. I am now at the place where I need to think about the insulation and subfloor material so I can build some structure back into the old girl and then continue to remove interior sidewalls and subsequent sections of flooring. It is exciting but daunting!

Thanks for your guidance. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on...

Ben
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #274
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
On the interior, I put the first layer on the exterior wall & taped it to the ribs. I then used the pink foam insulation strips again for the air gap & taped the 2nd layer over the first. The only exception were the endcaps. I insulated the exterior wall & then the outside of the endcap (which was removed, obviously). It worked great for ease of getting the endcaps back up in place.
Did you have trouble relocating rivet holes due to the thickness of the Prodex throwing things off, or was that pretty much a non-issue?

Ben
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #275
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I didn't use Prodex over the ribs, I attached it to the sides of the ribs. I used a really thin doubled sided tape that was foam on the ribs. I really didn't have much trouble getting the walls back on (my hubby helped--it's a two person job due to the awkwardness of it!). I'm assuming you have clecos to put things back in place.....if you don't, you're gonna need them. Vernon (who is HiHoAgRv) used Prodex over his ribs. I don't think he had issues. I just opted for the tape because I read about someone doing that & it seemed like a good idea! Worked pretty nicely. I'll dig around to see if I can find where I ordered it. There was a link somewhere on the forum for it.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #276
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Bambi II progress is halted for a family vacation! Couldn't resist posting this picture of my grandson, Brock, as he enjoys an outdoor bath. This will probably be the last summer I have another Airstream in the group with me, as my daughter & son-in-law have their cute Argosy minuet for sale

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2236007848.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	161336

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #277
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Vacation at the Indiana Dunes is over but the fun on the Bambi II is still going (and probably will for a long time!)

The vent for the grey tank came up directly under the place where the fridge is going. My hubby made a turn in the vent & I built up a platform for the fridge. Also cut the hole for the fridge vent (scarry!) and installed a little 12v fan for a computer to keep air moving under there. I haven't started on the framing on that side yet.Click image for larger version

Name:	refrigerator vent ,grey tank vent.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	163292

I did work on the gaucho, tho. All the important things are under the gaucho. 31 gallons of water, the converter, the water pump, the AGM battery, the on/off switch for the battery.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03556.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	163296[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] I positioned the on/off switch & the water drain within reach of the storage locker door. There really isn't much storage under the gaucho anymore. Maybe a few shoes, or canned goods. Not much.....I'll have to be creative with some other spaces. It's hugemongous! A giant could sleep in it cause it's 84 1/2" long. It's all because of that 31 gallon water tank! (I like showers!)[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03561.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	163298[/ATTACH]

I made a little box for around the electric power cord & the cable imput. The battery used to be located there.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03560.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	163293

Next up is the dinette.

My pictures came up in all out of order, but I think you can figure them out!

Oh, and as a side note, my AC is working GREAT! It was about 100 degrees here today & I was nice & cool in there!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03552.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	163294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03553.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	163295  

Name:	DSC03551.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	163297  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #278
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
So many great ideas, the project is really coming along.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #279
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Oh, and as a side note, my AC is working GREAT! It was about 100 degrees here today & I was nice & cool in there!
I also really like my AC, what is really nice is when your inside or outside how quiet it is compared to a roof top mount..........toastie
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
I also really like my AC, what is really nice is when your inside or outside how quiet it is compared to a roof top mount..........toastie
My daughter had a Dometic Low Profile Penguin & it was really noisy! You're right, toastie......she purrs like a little kitten!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S