Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

should I buy this 1965 Caravel?

I found this airstream for sale last October. I can't seem to get it out of my mind and I keep checking if its still for sale...which it is. It seems like a fairly original 1965 Caravel for sale for $3500 Canadian. The down side is the frame seems quite rusty - probably as its spent most of its life at the oceanside - and its 1500 km's away from me so I'd probably have to flatbed it home. What do you guys think?

Aluminium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you're not afraid of dealing with the rusty frame, I'd say go for it. The body sure looks nice and straight, and the interior looks pretty good too. If the frame's rusted out though, you might find yourself doing a 'full monty' on it to rebuild the damage. If it's still for sale, maybe they'd go down on the price some.

Hard to believe it's still available though - the small trailers usually go fast. I'd wonder if there's something wrong with it that others have seen that's not so obvious.

Have you seen this trailer in person?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

actually its just in a pretty remote area of Canada - I don't think they've advertised it much. I think if I could get it for maybe $2000 it might be worth the trouble of doing the "full monty", but if its $3500, I'd be better spending $5 or $6 thousand on one in restored shape.

and yes I took the pictures myself
Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
I just ask because I've heard a lot of stories from people who get excited over pictures, and are sorely dissapointed by what they find in person. So you're ahead of the game having seen it in person.

I agree with you, if you could talk them down a bit, play up the cost of fixing the frame, it would probably be worth the trouble. I am partial because I think Caravels are the best layout of all the small airstreams. We LOVE ours!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:28 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Looks like you better factor in the cost of a new axle if you decide to buy.

That frame does look scary.

Is the step missing or just not visible in the photo?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

you know I didnt even notice the step till you mentioned it - it does appear to be missing - are you suggesting replacing the axle due to the breakage problems with the old design I seem to recall reading about elsewhere?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminium
are you suggesting replacing the axle due to the breakage problems with the old design I seem to recall reading about elsewhere?
One of the many things I've learned from these forums is that if none of the upper tire is visible between the wheel rim and wheel well, the axle has lost it's cushion and needs to be replaced. The enlarged pic attached illustrates rather clearly that the axle is toast.
Axle replacement on these older models is fairly common. Stefrobrts has replaced the axle on her '68 Caravel and would probably advise the cost if you need that info.
Hi Stef, dontcha just love how I volunteer your time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	worn axle.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	10827  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Alum -- short answer IMHO is at $3500 CDN you are buying a pig in a poke. It's expensive for a total restoration job, and cheap for a Caravel in good condition.

The rust on the tongue doesn't bother me -- it's the rust you can't see that would be a problem. If the frame under the floor is rusty, it's probably because there have been leaks rotting the floor, which means time-consuming floor replacement. Think "full monty".

Also the condition of the refrigerator, stove and as Roger pointed out, the axle. Those items can easily add up to more than $2000. For a full refurbishment, you could spend $7000 or more in parts. It adds up fast. Just from the pics I can guess this Caravel needs: tires, wheels, axle, hitch, entrance step, and some welding on the tongue and frame. The rust on the tongue and the lack of an entrance step suggest potential for serious rust problems.

And from the fact that it has sat for a while, I would add propane bottles, gas regulator, wheel bearings, water pump, furnace, plumbing vent gaskets, window and door gaskets, toilet, upholstery & foam, dump valve rebuild, curtains ... That's another $2000.

Then there's the iffy stuff: faucets, window cranks, glass (is any of it plastic?), screens, stove/oven, black tank, cracked plumbing. Also, pictures don't tell you if it smells. Smell is a key clue as to the condition of the interior (foam, fabric, wood), the prior use (cigarette smell, leaks), and how bad the rodent problem might be.

There's also some metal work needed along the curbside wheel well, where it looks like a flat tire or road debris caused some damage.

I'm not trying to scare you. My point is that without testing the systems and being able to tow the unit, you have to assume that most of the expensive stuff is broken or needs refurbishment. If you can drop $5k or more into this Caravel and 200+ hours of work, it might be a good buy. Personally, I'd look for a price more in the $1500-2000 range for a unit that can't be tested and/or towed, even a Caravel.

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Where in Canada

Alum,

I have a 65 Caravel just like this one...well almost, as I have windows in my doorway. Where is this one? I know, you won't tell. The tongue on our trailer (it's the wife's) was like that one. I paid $2500 for mine, and towed it from NC to NY, where it now sits in my barn awaiting Spring. Mine towed great to NY. I've got alot of work to do. What is your email address? I'll send you picture. Mine is robbaker91@adelphia.net.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Pssst, Rich...

I think we got him talked out of it. Let's go get it.

Seriously though, I hope it finds a good home with an ambitious owner. I'm always glad to see these old gems returned to roadworthy condition.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Rich is in Florida

Hey, since I'm in NY, just across the border, I've got Rich beat...since I know he's in Florida, soaking up the heat / sun....and I'm here where it's snowing again...5 inches today likely...I need something, like another Caravel (even if it's for part) to keep me sane. Just kidding, I too, like to see these jems saved from rotting away. The good thing about this, is it's so small, probably two men could lift the body off to get at the frame...ok 4.

Talk the owners down, and go get it.
Courtesy parking

Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I think we got him talked out of it. Let's go get it.
No, he hasn't responded becasue he's on his way out to get it

I don't think it's that bad a deal. If you really want a Caravel, what's a nice Caravel going to cost? Last summer they were getting pretty close to $10k for refurbished units, some for even more. Even at $3500 you could probably have this one done for less than that, as long as you're doing the work.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
67 for $13,500

Just saw a 67 for $13,500 out at Oasis RV in Tuscon....and it wasn't perfect.
Courtesy parking

Old 03-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Well, I would like to think Caravels are worth that much ($13500 for an imperfect one!). That way I can justify the money I just poured into mine. Perhaps in a few years I can sell mine and it will be enough to pay for my daughter's college tuition ... at a nice college ...

I do agree, with personal labor invested and $5000-7000 cash, you could have a very nice Caravel and it might be worth $10k in today's market. (On the east coast -- in California people seem to pay a lot more.)

But it's not just money. You have to decide whether you can invest the time to do it right. A halfway job won't be fun to use or profitable to sell. If you're not sure, please email Roger the contact info for the owners!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

HAHA - so you think you've talked me out of it eh? lol - I'm not sure if you've succeeded yet.

I appreciate all the possible trouble spots and pricing you mentioned, rluhr....it certainly makes one realize they are basically doing all the work for free doesn't it!

rob and zoe - why don't you post your pics a few pics on this thread so we can all see your Caravel

I mentioned in my initial post that the trailer spent a lot of time on the oceanside. In fact those pictures are of where it currently sits about 200 feet from the Atlantic ocean in the Canadian maritimes
Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Darn wrong ocean!
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
I figure I've got about $10k invested in my Caravel (it was $6k to start with), and I don't regret it a bit. I see it as my other choice would have been a late model Bambi, so as long as I haven't invested that much yet, I'm still ahead of the game. Any vintage trailer is going to have something it needs fixed, it's all a matter of getting straight in your head if it's worth the trouble or not.

I really do think Caravels are great little trailers. In fact I'm heading out to work on mine some more right now!

Old 03-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
The step is missing but check out that great water heater cover ! Its perfect !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Our Caravel

Here are a few pics of the Caravel thus far...$2600 in her right now. I also have, need to include now, 2 new 20# Worthington propane tanks at $117 each, plus the new Rain Sensor Fantastic Fan with Airstream kit (curved interior trim) for $175.

These pictures are of a trip where she drove...a nice fall day.

Remember, this is the wife's trailer...I've got my hands full with the 85 34' Limited ==> about three Caravels worth.

Rob
Attached Images

Courtesy parking

Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
What a cute trailer! And those pictures are making me REALLY want to hit the road again - sigh...

Tags
1965, 1965 caravel, caravel