Old 07-27-2005, 01:06 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi albert, I do have a piece like that. I just haven't put it on there yet. I have no idea where you could find on either. Just a thought, what about using some of that automotive trim stuff to put over the edge of the fiberglass. It is more of a 'u' shape but it might work. It comes in rolls. You should be able to get it a most any autoparts store or a auto acc. store.

Chris

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi albert, I do have a piece like that. I just haven't put it on there yet. I have no idea where you could find on either. Just a thought, what about using some of that automotive trim stuff to put over the edge of the fiberglass. It is more of a 'u' shape but it might work. It comes in rolls. You should be able to get it a most any autoparts store or a auto acc. store.

Chris
Yes, thats the stuff. It is "U" shaped. I didnt think of automotive, but I know they will have it! And probably in silver too. How about "L" shaped moulding, like for the floor to keep water out. I just wish someone would have ALL of these trim pieces, but it feels like a scavenger hunt.
thanks so much.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:27 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Good News

I thought I'd share some good news from today. I hooked up and pressure tested my water lines today and I only had two leaks. One was fixed by tightening the fitting and the other is goin to take some re-engineering to fix but other than that all worked well ! The water heater did not leak at all. I was a little worried about that since I took it all apart and hadn't tested it since I put it back in the AS. The sewer lines have no leaks either. I do need to finish up my dump valve fittings. Then I can fully test for leaks in the sewer lines.

The RV store had my toilet flange seal in stock and I am happy to say that it is in and it works flawlessly. It holds water in the bowl and flushes great. No leaks at the base either.

I hooked up the propane and tested the water heater. I have no propane leaks. I capped the open ports for the fridge, stove and furnace. I cycled the water heater three times and it works great as well. That new NOS burner tube makes a huge difference in the way the heater functions. It lights itself easily now. I did have to adjust the air mixture to get a good flame, but other than that I think it will work for a few more years.

Onto another note, I have gotten enough stuff out of my garage that I actually got my jet boat out last weekend just to keep me sane ! lol.

It is an 18ft Jencraft with a 455 olds in it. It's a go fast boat

Chris
Old 08-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Update on project 2k5

Well I bet you all thought I had given up ! Just took a little breather. Had some fun goin water skiing etc.. My friend Theo and his house mate Marcia came over last weekend and gave me a hand with the woodworking. We rebuilt the kitchen cabinet frame work. Repaired the streetside couch and put in one closet. Marcia stained the woodwork for me. It looks pretty damn good to me. I'll be working on it some more this weekend, hopefully getting the rest of the cabinets in.

On another note, I just got my '95 f-250 out of the shop to the tune of 950 bucks ! The right exhaust manifold was warped and had broken off 2 studs in the cylinder head , Replaced axle seal, changed rear end oil, flushed transmission(new filter,clean pan,no chunks in there !), adjusted rear brakes. All in preparation of the big trip this fall. Since I haven't really done anything to the truck in 5 years, aside from regular maintenance, I feel I got off pretty lucky.

Thats about it for now.

Chris
Old 09-07-2005, 02:00 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Almost done !

Well I thought I'd put an update on here. Things are really starting to look good. I have both closets in. The streetside couch is in and done. I did a few mods on it to make more sturdy. I am really happy with the way it turned out. I have the frame work for my galley in but, the new fridge duct I had made does not fit quite right and I am going to have to use the old one for now and deal with fixing the problem with it and the vendor after my trip. I need to make some brackets for a couple fans to exhaust the warm air from the cooling unit on the fridge. Plus I have to eliminate the dead air space on top of the cooling unit as well. The good news is that my original fridge still works and with the fans and streamlining the venting. I think that it will work just fine for now. It gets to 38 at night and the high today inside the main compartment was 50. I had to clean the burner and the thermostat to get it to work better. The first try it only got down to 58. Not good enough. I am testing systems as they are installed, trying to catch any problems before I button everything down. So far things are goin well. I put on one of the new vent stack covers from AS dreams. They are ten times better than what was up there. Plus I am finally getting around to fixing the known leaking spots. IE - marker lights, vent stacks, patch in roof. I was hoping to have enough time to do a once over polish but it doesn't look like thats goin to happen this year. I have removed some of the silicone from the seams. I have sealed all of the seams from the inside so I am not worried about any leaks from them. Inside the AS it smells great now, almost like new. well I guess it IS almost new, lol. I can't believe that I am almost done. ( I know you are never really done with a vintage unit ) but, what a great feeling to know that you know everysquare inch of your AS and that it will hold up for another 40 years. I posted some pics and made a blog for the trips I take with 2k5. Thats it for now !

Chris
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looks great Chris!

But where is the jukebox going to fit?
Are you planning on hauling it back inside the trailer?
Marc
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Chris-Bathroom

Hi Chris, did you have your epoxy paint in the bath sprayed on or brushed? i am doing it myself to the headliner and was wondering which would be most effective and give the best finish.
thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 01:52 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
But where is the jukebox going to fit?
Are you planning on hauling it back inside the trailer?
Marc

Hi Marc, The juke is going in the bed of the pickup. Up front and outta the way. It weighs nearly 400 lbs. The 1953 model was one of the heaviest jukes AMI ever made. I wouldn't even fit in the door of the AS. I originally bought it for parts but I may restore it. I won't know 'til I see it in person. See ya at Beverly Beach.

Chris
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert
Hi Chris, did you have your epoxy paint in the bath sprayed on or brushed? i am doing it myself to the headliner and was wondering which would be most effective and give the best finish.
thanks
Hi Albert, They sprayed on the Gelcoat then buffed it out. IMO - spraying is the best way to apply it.

Chris
Old 09-18-2005, 03:50 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
I am a little shocked

Could it be ?? Am I actually done ? What will I do now ? Yep just got the Caravel all loaded up and ready to roll off to Wisconsin. I am really happy with the way things turned out. SO, I guess my maiden voyage is goin to be a 6K mile roadtrip. I'll post some pics later. I'll be off the net for about 3 days then I'll post my pics of the trip there. Thanks to all that gave me info and boosted my spirits on the restore. Catch ya later !

Chris
Old 09-18-2005, 05:44 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
hope you have a great run chris.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #68

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
WoooHoooo! Have a great trip Chris! You've earned it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Made it with no problems

I made it Milwaukie with no problems what-so-ever. That is surprising considering how rough the roads are here. Plus they have I-43 all torn up. Today we are heading out to Mt Rushmore. Theo and I took a tour of the Harley Davidson powertrain plant yesterday. That was very cool !I will start a new thread for the trip. Seeing as how the project is really over with pretty much. I will post a few pics.

Chris
Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
they have I-43 all torn up.
now thats good news....my trailer is stored just off I-43. i last drove it on labor day.. its one buckin road....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote