Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Holding My Breath

This is to wish all the best to the owner or whomever will be doing the upcoming changeover to a new server.
Is this also an uprade to a new version of the forum program? I know that has been promised in the past. If so is it the first version upgrade?

Well I am scared to skinny that there will be a glitch with the cutover to the new server and VALUABLE past postings will be lost into the cybersphere forever.
I truly hope that all backups are in place and working. I remember the time of a failure and the loss of many posts here a while back.
Was that a server switch or a lightning bolt?

I understand that the owner is a computer industry pro, and I guess that re-assures me a bit.... But the guys I am paying to build my computer tell me that most crashes are caused by geeks since most systems are worked on by geeks.

One thing is for sure. I know almost nothing about computers and servers and systems, but I know a whole lot about the disapointment of losing assets ...(of various kind)!

Hats off to the owner for starting and maintaining this thing, but please please understand that the text and pictures and recollections and tips and words here are what this forum really has most to offer.
The congregation and the founder are swell and the fellowship fun at times and human resources and contributions indispensible obviously.

But the "sacrements" (archives) are the real jewels (assets) of this (and most any) forum.

Please handle them with care.
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:16 PM   #2
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I believe the event last month was an unexpected "crash" and apparently there was either not a current database backup or the current backups were corrupt and so Andy had to restore the most recent good backup that he had.

This weekend's event is not unexpected. I trust that Andy will be well prepared with appropriate backups and come Monday things will be fine.

The thought has crossed my mind that we could have been working the past week or so with a corrupted database. I hope not. If there is corruption and it cannot be repaired (and in my experience often it cannot) then Andy may have to restore back to the most recent known good backup. This is just some mind wanderings on my part. I have no idea that the database is actually corrupt and hope it's not.

I do hardware, network and database support in my job working with Sybase currently and previously MS Sql Server.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Wink

With all this talk about corruption, loss of records, etc. We're not talking about a political site here---- are we?

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Let me assure you that the forum is backed up on a regular basis. I personally know it was done as of Monday.

There has been some wonky things happening to the forum and they have been repaired with the tools that are in place for such occurances.

I THINK we will be in a new version of the forum software from what I know. We will have to see. The upgrade may be seamless enough that you will not notice the change in the interface. The upgrade and transfer needs to be done for a number of reasons. The main one is that the forum was started in a corner of a smaller server, because Andy did not know how popular it was going to be. At this time as I understand it we are the only site on that server and the load is too great for the hardware platform it is on. This is a good thing! This means that the forum has grown and is a frequent stopping point as we all surf the web!

The downside of the growth is the wonkyness of the site lately. I for one will be glad when it is back up, but look at it this way. If the transfer to the new server has a hiccup, Andy can always just bring the server we are on right now, back up. It will be as if nothing happened. But the wonkyness will still be here

Hey Andy, do I need to Fed Ex you a couple of cases of Mountain Dew?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 01:18 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Well the upgrade is done on the Forum.

Way to go ANDY!

I see no interace difference, but I do see the speed!!!!!!!!!!!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote