Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #169
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Who the heck needs this?

"NOTICE: By following the "Continue to External Link" below you will be leaving Airstream Forums web site and entering a web site hosted by another party. Airstream Forums does not have any responsibility for, or control over, any of these sites, their content or their privacy policies. We do not endorse or make any representations about them, or any information, products, or materials found there, or any results that may be obtained from using them. If you decide to access any of the linked third parties, you do so entirely at your own risk."

Do we need this babysitting service??????
This is 2011 and if you haven't got the above info in you grey matter by now, you are not going to get the just of this legal warning!

It is such an annoyance that has been introduced with the new format.
Just another sponge to soak up bandwidth on my smart phone.
I have quit trying to go off forums for info as I usually loose the connection. It is so frustrating.
Can it not again be set up to go directly from the link, to the new page??????
Dave

Hi Dave, Are you logged in when you get this "legal warning"? I only get "legal warning" when I'm not logged in.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #170
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Lee
My frustration arose when I was using the smart phone of a fellow RV'r who had a problem. (he was not a member)

I will try to remember to log in.
When you are logged in, the thread disappears when you return to "new posts" and that is another frustration.

I don't normally log in unless I am at my home computer, or want to post to the site.
My experience was from an urgent need for information, to deal with a problem while on the road, and the added frustration of trying to find the solution.
Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #171
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Unlike most of the posters, i actually do not like the new layout. I find its too bright,and too busy. Advertisements all over the place. The old layout was actually calming and i enjoyed cruising through the forums. Less is more.
Now if you will excuse me, i need to go buy some new retinas.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #172
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Good and Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
Unlike most of the posters, i actually do not like the new layout. I find its too bright,and too busy. Advertisements all over the place. The old layout was actually calming and i enjoyed cruising through the forums. Less is more.
Now if you will excuse me, i need to go buy some new retinas.
The advertisements are definitely annoying, but I think that is probably the point of the person that actually owns it. Making money. To me the most annoying aspect of the advertisements is the popup in the top right that constantly covers my "quick link" tab. Some do, some don't. And I have been instructed to notify the team when one does, but it is constant, the ads vary. So I give up. Makes the quick links button kind of pointless about half the time. (all the time if I am on my phone) On the phone, even if the quick links do show up, when I click on something like "subscribed threads" it goes to the ad anyway. Other than that constant pain, I like the site.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
for those that don't like the brightness......
your screen brightness can be adjusted. it might be a bit of a pain if you have to do it just for this forum but it might make your time here more enjoyable.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Just my 2 cents, but I love this forum... old look or new!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First, the owner does make money and if he didn't, there would be no Forum. Unlike some Forums, you can participate even if you don't pay as a "supporting member". If anyone wants to start a charity and solicit donations for an alternative, ad-less, Forum, go for it.

I am pretty successful at ignoring ads. I learned to do it reading newspapers and have become good at it. But, when I click on "View First Unread" nothing happens at all until the ads load and the whole things resizes—that feels like a long time, especially if I have a poor wifi connection at a campground. I still don't read the ads and wish I could just get to the unread posts.

Gene
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #176
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
First, the owner does make money and if he didn't, there would be no Forum. Unlike some Forums, you can participate even if you don't pay as a "supporting member". If anyone wants to start a charity and solicit donations for an alternative, ad-less, Forum, go for it.

I am pretty successful at ignoring ads. I learned to do it reading newspapers and have become good at it. But, when I click on "View First Unread" nothing happens at all until the ads load and the whole things resizes—that feels like a long time, especially if I have a poor wifi connection at a campground. I still don't read the ads and wish I could just get to the unread posts.

Gene
What we need is a "View First Unread Ad" button. Or better yet:
"Load Only Unread Ads:

As of yet, I don't think the forums would know if you really read the ad.
But, if you have a web cam, just to be safe, glance at them.

Ken
Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
As far as the ads go, consider Adblock Plus. It's a free extension for Firefox or Google Chrome. It works great and the cost of trying it is exactly zero money-wise and very little in time expended.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After living with this for a while, I have come to the conclusion I don't like it at all.

This is why:

1. The wait while the ads on the right side load and load and load before I can do anything, such as,

2. Viewing first unread post (I said this before), but it persists.

3. The narrow part where the actual posts are—everything looks crunched and pinched; the feeling is negative rather than expansive.

So, after this lengthy test, let's do something better which may be to go back to the original.

Gene
Old 12-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #179
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
After living with this for a while, I have come to the conclusion I don't like it at all.

This is why:

1. The wait while the ads on the right side load and load and load before I can do anything, such as,

2. Viewing first unread post (I said this before), but it persists.

3. The narrow part where the actual posts are—everything looks crunched and pinched; the feeling is negative rather than expansive.

So, after this lengthy test, let's do something better which may be to go back to the original.

Gene
I think most of it bites and it does, indeed, pinch the post for no apparent reason. Why I get stuck on a post I've already read without going to unread is beyond me and does not happen on other forums I belong to.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The pinching is in part because of the ads on the right at the beginning of a page, but it also pinches on the left for no reason. The result is the cramped, unattractive look.

Gene
Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I like the new site look...

As far as ads go, they are a necessary part of any website, especially ones that requires no membership fee like the Airforums. I have no problem with Andy making a buck on the website. It is well-deserved. Where would we all hang out if it weren't for the Airforums? Oh, I know...we'd all still be scratching our heads and wondering in isolation how to fix this or that and wishing there was a place where we could go to find information about all things Airstream.

I've also learned to ignore and/or delete things I am not interested in. It's no different that ignoring junk emails... Also there are settings either within a given Forum or on your own computer that will minimize their impact on your viewing pleasure.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #182
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I despise ads, I would pay to get RID of them!!!! They are in the same catagory as junk mail. Total waste of bandwidth.