Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We have an '05 28' CCD. All in all, we have had only minor problems. Missing rivet here, delaminating pull shade, sticky sun roof cover....and a few other issues. All taken care of at Jackson Center (as it is closer to us than our dealer). Cruising the Open Roads forums on the other TT's, many more problems over there, IMO. If I could redo the purchase decision, the only thing I may change is the dealership, we would have bought the same unit.

If you want a sexy new trailer, the 28' CCD is it, but don't spend $65k, you should be able to get at least 15% off, maybe 18% to 20% if you sharpen your pencil and don't get impatient.

Our family of four spent close to 40 nights in our unit last year, and with two week long trips, we had no issues. You do have to learn to pack smart, but you are probably a leg up on most Americans due to your having lived in a small apartment.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Quality Control - How Bad Is It?

I purchased a 1984 31 Foot Excella in April of 2005 (21 Years old, old enough to vote). I've had a roof leak at the fantastic roof vent, had to replace all the clearance lights because they were disentegrating form years in the sun and repair the belly pan due to corrosion. I've had SOBs. I am very happy with my purchase. I knew that I was buying a used vehicle and entered into this adventure with an open mind. Oh, I repaired the roof vent leak also.
Had I purchased a brand new unit, I would have had a different mindset.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
We have a 19ft Safari SE. The gestalt of the unit is quite pleasing and all our appliances work and overall we're reasonably pleased.

On the other hand after 75 years you'd think that they would have the construction down pat. There is no excuse for window leaks, inexplicably cheap components (marker lights), and poor construction (in our case there is a 1/2 inch gap between the bed frame and wall, the screws are in the wall but obvious in the gap. The leak out of shower stall comes as standard equipment on the 19 foot, it's better with additional caulking.

My basis of comparison is a Eurovan which is a simpler but much less comfortable and complete unit.

The RV industry seems to have low standards of engineering, fit and finish. You make your deal with whichever devil you find attractive and then have to spend time effort to get the unit into shape. From other comments it appears that Airstream is no better or worse than other manufacturers. A little disappointing but that's life.
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I was going to start another thread - but my complaint seems to fit right in with the other QC issues. I returned to the factory last September to replace my A/C, align the axles, and install new tires. As far as I know, the A/C installation and the axle/wheel alignment appear to be OK. While prepping the rig this Sunday for the upcoming season, I checked the tire pressure and I was surprised to find that it ranged from 62 psi to 51 psi - with no two adjacent tires the same! I had driven 1,200 miles back from the factory, confident that the tires had been set correctly to 50 psi - or, at least, to some common and acceptable pressure! While stewing over that discovery, I crawled under the front of the trailer to check the spare - only to further discover that it had been installed upside down on the carrier and the valve stem was out of reach! (I had used the spare in place of a bad tire on the trip to Jackson Center.) I can't comment on the 45 psi pressure in the spare since it has been my experience that spare tires lose pressure over the winter. I mumbled a few choice words and flipped the spare over

Now, I'm willing to concede that there were at least two overnight stops on my way back from Jackson Center where I should have checked the tires before getting on the road the next morning - but I didn't. That said, it still ticks me off that we pay good money for very sophisticated trailers, endure expensive maintenance regiments, and then the factory repair facility ignores their own recommendations with respect to tire pressure on a tandem axle trailer!

I have to wonder if the 62 psi tire, riding next to the 51 psi tire, was overloaded to the point of possible damage??? Fortunately, the trailer was very lightly loaded.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #25
_

. , .
here cracker.......

i'll bump the thread by replying to your post......

just 2 be clear.....new tires mounted september 2005......

pressure not checked again till april 2006.....

with variable inflations measured....

and this is a factory issue how?

it's quite possible the service center inflated them correctly...

last september....

many tires loose pressure over time....

6 months qualifies as time...

suggest you check them more often....

even if parked.

i've got 6 and after sitting a few weeks the pressues can vary...

so i usually reinflate them to 65

when the trailer is stored...

as my quality control....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i have a 2005 25' international ccd. the trailer has had no issues of any kind.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
NY , New York
Thanks for all your advice. I think I'm going to go for it... We'll be able to take a trip or two to Ohio to work out any kinks the dealer can't handle, if need be. I now realize that the initial problems, once resolved, will be long forgotten once we are out there enjoying our new Airstream. I'll keep you posted. Fingers crossed!
zombyw00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
CCD vs Safari Special Edition

I started full-timing in a new 2005 22ft CCD a year ago. I just bought the 25 ft Safari Special Edition Front Bed model (back door). I've got to say the safari furniture - especially the dinette is more comfortable, but the upholstery on the CCD just looks cool.

Well, do you want your wife to be SATISFIED or LOYAL? If you're smart, the answer is "both". I'm really hoping to see bigger SE's for folks like you.... However I agree the CCD is cool beyond belief and I nearly chose a 28 CCD myself. I would and can redo the upholstery myself. The problem with the solid color is that it shows every fleck of dust, lint or dirt that gets on it. Choose something tweedy or with stripes and you won't feel the need to clean it every day.

As for the two sinks, nope! I like that big lobster bowl sink. Just try to get a large skillet or crock pot into a standard RV sink. In the big round one, you can wash either, or the family dog or infant!

Hope to see you down the road soon. Happy trails.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
here cracker.......

i'll bump the thread by replying to your post......

just 2 be clear.....new tires mounted september 2005......

pressure not checked again till april 2006.....

with variable inflations measured....

and this is a factory issue how?

it's quite possible the service center inflated them correctly...

last september....

many tires loose pressure over time....

6 months qualifies as time...

suggest you check them more often....

even if parked.

i've got 6 and after sitting a few weeks the pressues can vary...

so i usually reinflate them to 65

when the trailer is stored...

as my quality control....

cheers
2air'
I agree that I don't have a base to compare with - due to my own negligence - but the problem still remains that all of the tires (---except for the spare) were over-inflated with respect to the factory specified pressure for a 2000 30' Excella - which is 50 psi. Had the readings all been less than 50 psi, I would simply have assumed that it was winter air loss.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #30
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
As our dealer of choice is 500 miles from our home we have made it a point to stay a couple of nights in his rv park as part of our two AS purchases. The night we got our '05 CCD 19er it rained like mad revealing a few water leaks. That was the only problem we found and the dealer took care of it. Since then we've spent about 4 months living in the trailer. The problems along the way were a miss adjusted propane regulalator causing the furnace to missfire (which a dealer on the road fixed), a bad LP detector (which the factory replaced and I installed), and a few interior rivets (which I replaced). That's it, and far fewer ticket items than on our popular model import car. From what I read here, some readers would haved a lot better time on their trips if they were a little more self sufficient and took care of small problems themselves.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Zombyw00f,
We've owned two CCDs and found the Safari SE to be the best of both (we have a 28' SE being built now). Neither CCD has had anything other then annoying warranty work done. I think a lot of our problems are Arizona (stored uncovered in 100 F + weather for months at a time) related. The factory attaches the foam weather stripping in the windows with Ohio glue. We've re-glued all the windows with AZ spec glue that our dealer (Oasis in Tucson) got us. Actually they've re-glued most of them under warranty. We also just had a cracked sky light replaced under warranty (it started leaking). Some other roof leaks (around fans or vents?) and as already stated in this thread interior rivets go missing too. Our worst problem was a water heater electronic starter component that died on a trip. Easily fixed and we carry a spare now. That could happen on any RV. BTW is your avatar a Zappa reference? Bongo Fury!
- K & L
Old 04-12-2006, 09:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagoff
We have a 19ft Safari SE. The gestalt of the unit is quite pleasing and all our appliances work
I don't believe our trailer has a gestalt. Does anyone know what year Airstream started fitting them to new trailers? Can one be retro-fitted to a 1988 model Excella? Does Inland RV stock them? Information on good or bad experiences would be appreciated.
Nick.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
NY , New York
Hey Silverback... you hit the rivet on the head. Here I'm iz, the Zomby Woof!

We are going to give the Safari another look. The 28 SE really does seem more comfortable than the CCD. Did you order it with any "special" options? What was the estimated build time they gave you? And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of discount did you negotiate? Colonial Airstream has two 28 Safari SEs on the way. Only problem is that my GF absolutely despises the Midnight Sun color scheme, which is how these 2 units are being built. And her first choice, Forest Sage, is supposedly discontinued.

I guess there are worse dilemmas than deciding on which AS to choose!
zombyw00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #34
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
I don't believe our trailer has a gestalt. Does anyone know what year Airstream started fitting them to new trailers?
Nick.
The pioneer Airstreams (pre-1967) all came fully loaded with gestalt. I don't know when they started adding it again.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Zombyw00f,
We did order some special options. Specifically the street side (and rear window) awnings. We loved those on the CCD and wanted them for the Safari. We also ordered the 15K BTU AC (another AZ thing), the solar, boondocking and 600W inverter packages. And last but not the least the upgraded audio/video package (minus the satellite radio option because it's not XM). We preferred midnight sun and we're on the frequent buyer program at our dealer so we get numerous discounts. Especially the trade-in for a trailer they know is well maintained.
-K
Old 04-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #36
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Gestalt? wait a minute the 96 has got another spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
The pioneer Airstreams (pre-1967) all came fully loaded with gestalt. I don't know when they started adding it again.
In our 1996 excella with the swoopy graphics I'm reading another term--Looks like it was fitted with Oy Gevalt! Guess its a good thing we can seek help from the forum!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Groucho.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	20407  
Old 04-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #37

2006 23' Safari SE
California , Maryland
No QC Problems here

I agree with previous posts that happy owners are too busy using their AS to post replies. I recently picked up my 2006 23' Safari SE. I looked at it on Saturday and picked it up on Thursday only because the dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and I had to work and the dealer needed a day to prep. After walking through several other top of the line SOB's, the quality of the AS was unmatched. The reason so many AS's are still on the road and the reason they can be refurbished in the first place is plain and simple, Quality. This is my first TT or RV of any kind and I can't imagine having anything but an AS.

To say I didn't find anything wrong with mine would be a lie. There was a scratch on the refrigerator face plate done by the dealer when removing the plastic, a dent in one of the overhead cabinet doors, a small piece of laminate that needs some glue, and the heater cover won't latch properly, but all items are being taken care of by the dealer. This unit was taken to a show and I suspect was the cause of all but the refrigerator door.

If you really want to see QC problems buy something other than an AS. I attached a photo of my new toy while they were hitching it up to bring home.

Signed
A Proud New AS Owner
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ComingHome 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	20410  
clarkjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #38
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
the problem still remains that all of the tires (---except for the spare) were over-inflated with respect to the factory specified pressure for a 2000 30' Excella - which is 50 psi. Had the readings all been less than 50 psi, I would simply have assumed that it was winter air loss.
cracker.....
you don't mention which tire...
i assume goodyear marathons...
but you have not indicated which....
c or d rated.....
i believe the service center policy...
is to inflate the tire to the max/recommended pressure...
50 or 65 respectively...
printed on the tire sidewall...

then the owner....
after properly weighing the trailer...
can adjust pressures down...
if so inclinded...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #39
_

. , .
hi clarkjw and welcome

congrats on the new trailer...

great model.....

post more pics of your new joy...

and happy camping.....

2air'

Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #40

2006 23' Safari SE
California , Maryland
More Pics

Thanks, it is a great model. We have the "L" lounge in the front with the hide away table. Fantastic invention. It leaves the living area open. Attached is a photo of the "L" lounge and another of me in the kitchen celebrating the new arrival. Cheesy I know, but what can I say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ComingHome 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	20411   Click image for larger version

Name:	ComingHome 010 (Medium).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	20413  

clarkjw is offline   Reply With Quote