Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2002, 10:26 AM   #1
rdm
2 Rivet Member

Question GM a/c control panel

The cable that controls temperature on the p30 has broken on or mororhome. Has anyone had this problem before. Can you buy a replacement control panel and cable. this is the dash heater/defroster/ air connditioner unit I am referring to.
Thanks for your help
Ray
rdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
yes my cable broke and is now broke again. to fix you must buy some wire from a hardwade store and replace. the housing is not available , or im told it is not . at the present time im looking for a stiffer wire to make the heater control work. maybe someone has had better luck at fixing the problem . im all ears //
god luck al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Broken inner ac control wire

In the olden days, this wire was routinely repaired. The wire was placed into a special hand tool and the curled end was made. The wire was pushed into outer housing and cut for length. Some wd-40 makes the task easier. I'll post a few pics of the tool and wire required. I was once told the small engine shops have the same tool and lots of stiff wire required. The wires usually break because of poor initial alignment or lack of or incorrect lube... Using air to force motorcycle cable lube into outer housing really works great and the lube is for a life time. The outer housing and wire is called a Bowden cable. The boat guys use a similar lube that is great also. Be sure to lube all the slides and linkage on the slide controls.
Some repairs have also been made by using longer cables from a salvage yard and shortening as required.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Ray,

The control unit mounted on the dash (slide for temperature, fan speed control switch and push buttons for air, defrost, vent, etc.) is a Chrysler part, not Chevy. We found it in a repair manual for a 1988 Chrysler front wheel drive car. The part is still available from Chrysler dealers for about $60 - $70. It actually consists of a couple of parts. One is the mounting piece to the dash. The plastic mounting points on this piece often breaks and can be replaced separately. The mounting piece is <$20.
Another piece is the vacuum push button switch. It is around $50 to replace.

Hope this helps.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 05:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
hi
good news i found a replacement cable for my AS-310 at bankston motorhome sales in huntsville alabame telephone 256-533-3100 ask for todd in parts.. it is a correct replacement snaps in the old socket a bit heavier inner cable not wire . should last a while . he has two or three more cost 9.95 plus tax. didnt ask ask about shipping. if any one wants one i will ask todd about shipping.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
todd says he will ship to the moon if someone wants to pay fedex or ups or whom ever . he ask you tell him what length you need . i also inquired as to how he had these in stock. he relates that he bought the last 100 that were made, can not get any more. has about half dozen before 0. no mas

the squating lady in the cave says no mistic springs wrong date spring football game that weekend . im going to miss her c u at mistic springs..