Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #1

Post shipping airstream to the uk

Hi
Brand new member from over the pond hoping to join the the airstream brigade We are trying to find a way as cost effectivley as possible of shipping an airtsream to the UK.
Has anyone done this before or have any infromation on shipping ? costs?, experiences!!
Trailers here are horrendous!!! . Any advice, help or info will be gratefully recieved, many thanks
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Jasper,

welcome to the Forums and the World of Airstreaming!! We had our 1971 Ambassasor shipped from South Carolina to Germany in May and it was done by ATI USA Inc. (http://www.atiusainc.com). They charged us 2173,- US$, which was the cheapest we found.

The (german) shippers from this side of the big pond wanted 1000,- US$ more...

If you want, send an email to Ricardo Furfaro at ATI and give him the dimensions of your Airstream, he responded very quick to our mails and it was a pleasure to deal with him.

Did you ask Sarah Jane from American Caravans if she can assist you?
Or you could try if Daniel from Airstream4u in Hamburg, Germany can help, he is doing freight forwarding for Airstreams ( I guess worldwide) too and we will ship our next Airstream with him as it is easier to give all the handling into one hand...

BTW where did you find your Airstream and do you have any pics? Do you plan to use him for camping or business??

All the best and glad to have one Airstream more Europe!!

Steffi and Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #3

Post Shipping to the UK

Thank you very much, I have emailed the shipping company, that was a great help.

We havent bought one yet, but that is the airstream I have my eye on - I think my husband would like a slightly shorter one for the country lanes!!. Do you recommend any others for European roads?? I wasn't sure whether a trailer that long is legal in the UK. I am hoping to find an ambassador that is great on the outside but needs a bit of an interior overhall but I also really love the early airstreams. The prices in the UK for an Airstream are massive for the few that are around.
Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted, happy airstreaming !!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Jasper, you might like to view http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=16678
where the desirability of using a USA model Airstream in the UK is discussed. Airstream is about to produce a model for the UK market. This should deal with the issues of size and legality. I live in Cornwall, UK, for the summer, and "full-time" in our 25 ft Excella in the southern USA for 5 months in the winter. I would not consider bringing the Excella to the UK. I agree that UK "caravans" (travel trailers in the USA) are not in the same league. The Airstream is a beautiful American icon, perfectly adapted to US highways, campgrounds, load distribution hitches and real towing trucks. I do not know of any readily available , readily serviceable, family usable tow vehicle in the UK that would safely tow my 6500 pound loaded 25 foot Excella. I have never seen a load distribution hitch in the UK. I have been a passenger in a trailer jack-knifing accident in the UK, and I know that safely towing a heavy Airstream requires considerable study, attention to detail, a weight distribution hitch, sway control, a trip to a weighbridge, and a degree of humility. Sorry to be a wet blanket! Nick.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper
Thank you very much, I have emailed the shipping company, that was a great help.

We havent bought one yet, but that is the airstream I have my eye on - I think my husband would like a slightly shorter one for the country lanes!!. Do you recommend any others for European roads?? I wasn't sure whether a trailer that long is legal in the UK. I am hoping to find an ambassador that is great on the outside but needs a bit of an interior overhall but I also really love the early airstreams. The prices in the UK for an Airstream are massive for the few that are around.
Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted, happy airstreaming !!
We love our Ambassador and are just in the process of redoing the interior and changing the hitch and the axles/brakes to meet the german and european requirements, which is a lot of work...

Maybe your husband is right with the smaller sizes, as they are easier to handle on narrow roads and I have heared of length restrictions on some Campgrounds in Europe (about 7 to 8 meters overall length). With how many people do you plan to travel? Steffi and I have planned the new interior of our Ambassador for 2 Adults and 2 Kids (which are in the plan for the near future) with 4 full beds, as we don´t want to convert the eating area every evebing into a bed (so with that it could sleep 6).

I think that a 25 Tradewind would just be superb for 2 Adults (plus 1 or 2 kids on the front gaucho) and is my second favorite Airstream modell!!
If you haven´t bought yet, you might like to contact Richardt from this forums, he is THE MAN! We bought our Ambassador from him for a very very fair price and he delivered it to the port in Charleston as well, which was a great help. Kneepie (Forum Member as well) from the Netherland bought her Tradewind from him too and I think some other did as well. Richardt is an Airstream Collector and has several Airstreams on his lot.

Do you have pics of the Ambassador to share? And what is the seller asking? Let me know of I can help in any way!

All the best!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Consider getting the "painted Airstream" - Argosy. The Minuet models made in the 70s were 8 inches narrower and came in several lengths from 6 metre to 7.3 metre. They were a little lighter weight as well.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I will be happy to help
The 1971 Trade Wind I have might be a good choice if you plan an interior redo, the Argosy 20' is quite light and small.
Let me know if I can help.
And thank you Bjoern for the kind words.
Richardt
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Also here is the shipper I use, let him know
Richard from Bat Cave NC reccommended you.

Andy
AGS International Forwarders Inc
P.O.Box 234
New London, PA 19360
phone: 610-255 5400
fax: 610-255 5900
email: agsintl@aol.com
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #9

Post 2 adults 3 small kids!!

HI Thanks everyone for your help, my only concern is that we all fit in comfortably, we have 2 small children and are hoping for one more!!!!
6 hours sleep is far too much!!!. Anyway I want us to all fit in comfortably now and in the future.. Would the tradewind be suitable, has anyone replaced the standard old bunks with a more child friendly version?? Richard I will definatley be in touch.
Janet thank you very much, i really must get one of those shiny shells though !!!

Look forward to any more advice you really are invaluable, have a good weekend all
Rebecca