Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Those pinched and worn AC lines are a good recipe for a bad fire.

Airstream should be ashamed, and horrified.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
5cats (JD),
Very nice work. You will see a huge difference in performance with a multi-stage converter/charger like that and I am surprised Airstream doesn't insist on a better power center from their factory.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Nice job, jd... thanks for posting the follow-up picture and story here.

I almost missed the picture showing how it finally looks with the faceplate panel in place, but found it through your posted link, "I replaced the OEM unit with the XADC-60A".

This is another good example of your neat wiring as first shown here.

I take it that the voltage output from the converter is approximately 13.8 volts?

Feel free to post updates on how your Xantrex converter and power distribution center continue to work out for you here.

Thanks,

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The converter went bad again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Here's the follow-up: I replaced the OEM unit with the XADC-60A.

Here's the most interesting pic:

While I had it all open, I plumbed in a new furnace duct behind the new power converter. The factory configuration had only the one furnace vent, which did a fine job blasting the bathroom door directly in front, but did a lousy job of actually heating the trailer. The added vent opens toward the front of the trailer, for more even (and thorough) heating.

One more thing: glad I replaced the power converter myself!
Not only did I get to clean out some more factory-installed trash and sawdust from back there, but I found four AC power lines badly pinched between the wheel well and cabinetry cutouts. Three of the four had insulation already partially sawn through, exposing bare copper. With that repaired, properly routed and loomed, I think I'm ready for a vacation

Cheers,
-jd.

PS - Apologies to Bill for hijacking your thread. Again.
Hi JD,

Our converter that was replaced 8/08 under warranty is going bad with the warranty expired.

How is your new system working? Are you pleased with it? How easy was it to install and how much time did it take? Can a person with limited to no electronics knowledge do this project?

Please advise,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Hi JD,

Our converter that was replaced 8/08 under warranty is going bad with the warranty expired.

How is your new system working? Are you pleased with it? How easy was it to install and how much time did it take? Can a person with limited to no electronics knowledge do this project?

Please advise,
Larry
*rats!* thought for sure it would last longer that this ...

I'm pleased with what we have, now that it's been in service for a while. It seems to do a terrific job of both charging and maintaining the batteries, and I'm comfortable with extended plug-in periods at home.

Given that this directly replaced an existing converter installation it was super-easy to reuse the existing wiring. If you don't need to replace the DC panel it should be even easier, and becomes a matter of getting your replacement to fit in the same space. Check out Randy's site for some very practical installation tips in this case for reusing the empty chassis of the existing converter box (depending on your specific replacement choice).

Also, I found there was plenty of excess wiring stuffed back behind my original unit, particularly for the AC. I recall that the factory used 12 gauge romex-type 2-conductor + bare copper ground NMI -- stiff stuff to work with.

Take your time. If you're anything like me, you might as well do a good job cleaning out back there while it's opened up. And it's a good opportunity to poke around and check out any other wiring routed back there, just in case it could stand a little attention like I found. I even too the time to tape up some of that foil sandwich "bubble-wrap" insulation to some of the exposed interior walls inside the cabinet space.

What different could I wish for? Well, these are (rather) small nits ...

DC panel:
Seems to me the common and neutral buses could have been better arranged, so they interfere with each other less. For example, I could have wished the ground bus was mounted on the top edge, all the way in the back, so the bare copper grounds could lay-up completely recessed in the enclosure -- and far away from all the neutral connections. But again, if you don't need to replace the distribution panel, don't bother.

Converter:
It's a feature of the converter unit, but if it had a top-mounted exhaust vent, rather than the forward on (side-by-side with the interior-facing intake) I think it would run cool with less fan. It's quiet, but not silent; and it must run to horizontally exhaust excess heat in response to the 12V demands, among others. To its credit, the old unit exhausted heat both vertically and inside the cabinetry, resulting in actually quieter operation.

Both:
I found the replacement converter is quite a bit less wide that the original, even with the cover panel in place, leading to some exposed filled-in screw holes on either side of the finished install. I've long-since stopped noticing this, so it's ok. BUT: the distribution panel is taller that the replacement, requiring the opening to be trimmed a bit -- be careful to trim just what's needed and no more. The new front screw locations are very close to that opening edge.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks, jd, for your very informative and useful reply concerning our converter failure and you experience with Xantrex.

I talked with Randy of BestConverter.com and ordered the Xantrex XADC-60A Converter Charger this afternoon. He also referred me to the article on his web page, Parallax 7355 Converter Replacement with Xantrex XADC-60.

Thanks for the details that you included and I hope it will be easy since I am replacing just the converter portion and not the power distribution center.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Bill...we're totally bummed that you are having converter troubles again. Luckily we haven't had any issues with ours thus far (knock on aluminum), but with/if we do we'll know where to turn for guidance for the best solution. Your experience and willingness to share your solutions are, as always, much appreciated. And you, too, JD! Thanks and good luck with it.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks, TB!

I posted a thread "Parallax Converter Replacement with Xantrex" here that contains details and photos.

SilverGate