Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Lightbulb I removed my television. Now what?

We decided to remove the stock television in our 25' International Serenity.

What have you done with the cable and outlet cords to make it more aesthetically pleasing? Although we don't plan on replacing the television with another television, before doing the obvious (cutting the cords), maybe there is another option to conveniently hide the cords for easy future access if we have a change of heart; or we haven't considered another useful way of repurposing the cords that might make us rethink cutting them.

Thanks for your input and Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5421.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	385955  
sooners95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
We removed our subwoofer and didn’t want to cut the wiring. Instead, stuffed it back in the wall. Since there is not a j box, couldn’t place a blank plate. Considering a grommet cap. For now, not having loose cables dangling is our objective

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooners95 View Post
We decided to remove the stock television in our 25' International Serenity.

What have you done with the cable and outlet cords to make it more aesthetically pleasing? Although we don't plan on replacing the television with another television, before doing the obvious (cutting the cords), maybe there is another option to conveniently hide the cords for easy future access if we have a change of heart; or we haven't considered another useful way of repurposing the cords that might make us rethink cutting them.

Thanks for your input and Happy New Year!
Is that your main TV or bedroom TV? We removed our bedroom TV on our 25FB Serenity and covered the dangling cables with hanging scarves. We'd be curious how others have "hid" them in the wall without cutting any cables.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
FishByFly; Thanks for your suggestion. Our concern is since the Dometic fridge is on the opposite side, stuffing it through the wall might cause some sort of unforeseen problem going down the road, and from my research on the forum, removing the fridge seems to be more than a "minute's worth" of work if cables need to be retrieved (I could be wrong on both assumptions - lol).

SilverWind; The photo shows the main TV removed. fyi: We did remove the bedroom TV too (we like the additional room once removed).
sooners95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Watching...

We removed the BR TV in our FC30 and have both the cables and a swing mount sitting there looking ugly. Mostly use the TV mount for hanging clothes on but am interested to see if anyone has done something elegant.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
To cover the holes from the TV mount, put philips head wood screws back in the hole. Then, get screw covers that match the wood laminate.

One could cut the wires leaving a bit long. Tuck the wires and cover with a grommet. If the TVs needs to go back extension cables could be connected to make the length back.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
I would think the TV itself would look better than any hack to hide the cable and brackets. Why remove it, even if not used? In the event a storm cropped up while you are away from home, it might provide valuable info.
Donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, rather than sit and watch the cables dangle from the wall, more interesting views can doubtlessly be found outdoors.

Without knowing the surrounding space, you might explore any of the following:

Pushing in much (but not all) of the excess cable, then hiding behind a handy shelf, or shadow box, or picture montage, artwork or indoor/outdoor thermometer, clock, wall map, lighting sconce, etc.

You could also carefully remove the bulkhead, cut in a handy storage bin between the wall and the fridge (if there is enough depth there), reinstall, then lay the cables inside along with any magazines or other material. See below, a modified area much like what is above the TV in this unit

Alternatively, if one of the cables goes to a roof antenna, then you could install a wi-fi or cell phone booster antenna out of the faraday cage that is the Airstream aluminum shell, then connect it to a repeater or router at that location.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We ditched our TV when the screen fell out--in layers-- on top of the fridge where it was anchored. This wasn't even on a bumpy road, but on a paved highway. Bambi II did not come with a microwave, so we had one installed where the TV screen was. I think the TV wires are inside the wall. (The AS mechanic dealt with them plus the microwave installation.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
So I wanted to update my original post for those wondering. From the photos, I went ahead and kept the grommet holes, removed the television cord and cut the input wires. Using black electrical tape, I bounded the wires and nudged them into the other grommet hole. I figure if I needed the input wires in the future, I could splice into them.

For us, this cleaned up the area in a satisfactory manner. We are happy to claim the area as we never used the television in the 9 years we owned our Airstream.

See you down the road!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5463.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	386945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5470.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	386946