Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Snowmass , Colorado
Negotiating Price in the Covid Era

Hello everyone. I have been looking to purchase a new basecamp X for a while and I am finally negotiating with a dealer on a new 2019 model. My search began prior to the pandemic and I had a good idea of what the fair value for this particular year, make and model would have been. Things have seemed to change very quickly in this market and basecamps have become tough to get a hold of recently. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience for negotiating down from the MSRP in the covid era. I originally felt confident I could get the price down 10-15%. But now I am concerned with how fast the market is moving and that this might be unreasonable given the high demand. I've been searching long and hard for this particular trailer so I don't want to lose out - but I also don't want to pay the MSRP given this is a year old model.

Sidenote - the dealer is charging a $1000 prep fee and I think this is outrageous. Can anyone else confirm that it is reasonable to refuse to pay this?

Thank you for any feedback, insight or resources anyone can provide.
LeppeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
When the market is particularly brisk, such as right now with any RV and Airstreams in particular, it is usually better to stand aside and wait for things to cool down.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Colonial Airstream has 2021 16 and a 20 in stock. Call them now and ask for a price. The 1000 prep fee would be a red flag against the dealer.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeppeL View Post
Hello everyone. I have been looking to purchase a new basecamp X for a while and I am finally negotiating with a dealer on a new 2019 model. My search began prior to the pandemic and I had a good idea of what the fair value for this particular year, make and model would have been. Things have seemed to change very quickly in this market and basecamps have become tough to get a hold of recently. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience for negotiating down from the MSRP in the covid era. I originally felt confident I could get the price down 10-15%. But now I am concerned with how fast the market is moving and that this might be unreasonable given the high demand. I've been searching long and hard for this particular trailer so I don't want to lose out - but I also don't want to pay the MSRP given this is a year old model.

Sidenote - the dealer is charging a $1000 prep fee and I think this is outrageous. Can anyone else confirm that it is reasonable to refuse to pay this?

Which dealer is asking for the $1000 prep fee? It doesn’t sound right.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Call Patrick at Colonial. Great experience.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you are in better shape knowledge wise than many people buying now. You know the pricing. Now it is just a matter of deciding how much you are willing to pay knowing all that. Not much you can do about it but shop around and make a go/no go decision. If you can afford it and can get a price you can choke down somehow I am in the go ahead and get it when you can use it camp. Waiting until things are perfect does not always work out either. Do you need it now or do you have time to wait out the bubble? Total price is total price, no matter what tricky name the dealer calls the various parts of it. Prepping it might just consist of replacing the battery they stole out of it. Sorta like the car dealers making you pay extra for them doing the paperwork.

You know all this and I did not answer the actual question but it is fun posting.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Is it Windish? Or Lazy Days? I know they are local's in Colorado. We by-passed the dealers and bought our's from a private seller in Denver. Granted to process in the title transfer was a bit of a pain going though a power of attorney, etc. but we got it all done and love our 22FB Sport!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Call Patrick
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
price

Quote:

tell them what ur willing to pay....do ur homework
not the dealer telling you
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
I agree with the others here: Call Patrick at Colonial.

We ultimately decided to wait on buying an Airstream because I wanted to be in a better financial position overall (I had another expense pop up and decided I wanted to put more money down on the AS), but I did get a quote from him.

Considering it is summer (peak RV purchasing season), inventory is low, units ordered as inventory are being bought sight unseen before they're even built, and lead time for a build-to-order is 6 months, I expected the quoted price to be a long, long way from the 20% off MSRP that is generally regarded as a good deal.

To my surprise, that was not the case. Far from it. Had the other issues not popped up for me, I would have taken their deal on the spot.

I can't guarantee all units are going to be priced like that, but Colonial doesn't seem to be using high market demand and low inventory as an excuse for price gouging. That impressed me, as did Patrick's responsiveness by e-mail and by phone.

And that prep fee your dealer wants? Big red flag. Prep isn't an option or a bonus, it's part of what you are paying for when you buy the trailer. The manufacturers already pay dealers to do a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) and suss out and repair any issues that were missed during manufacturing or occurred during shipping. A prep fee is pure profit. Run away.

Jim
jameskuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

X2 on calling Patrick @ COLONIAL.

$1000 for a BC PDI is outrageous.
An unsold 2019 is not used but it's not really new either.
Take a step back and bargain with aplomb.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Dana Point , CA
Prices are not going to go down any time soon. The Airstream factory in Ohio was shut down due to Covid, so production stopped. It's a sellers market right now and will be for awhile.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Every single negotiation is a simple matter of supply and demand.

All the preconceptions about various factors and variables are secondary.

Be ready to commit to a price, and work your way toward that price.

Be ready to write a deposit check on demand, in case someone calls your bluff, or makes you an offer you can't refuse.

Clarity is power.

"Call Patrick at Colonial" is always good advice.

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:

I had a great experience with Al Panicucci at Windish RV in Denver. He is great to deal with IMO
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Call Patrick.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Hi,

I don't think this is going to turn around any time soon. RV are as HOT as ever right now and with halted production and iffy future supply may stay low for a while.

If you're financing note the APR may be a lot lower now than it may be in a year too....

I got lucky back in March when I hesitated twice on my 2019 FC. Called up and said "give me back my deposit I don't like the numbers" and they reworked it twice to ~30% discount!!!

Re $1000 prep fee. I'd get that clarified. Perhaps part of that "destination" etc all rolled into that..If for just putting fresh air in the tires an obvious no go!
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
2021's are in stock now so that 2019 is already considered 2 years old. Even with current conditions your 10-15% off seems like a minimum on a 2 year old "new" trailer.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The new (coming) models also have the new floorplan .

Yes by then it will be a almost 2yr old trailer. Make sure you get a new Battery not the one it's been sitting on the lot with.

Does it have the problematic fridge or newer.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
2019 model could also have the built in feature callied a leak that was an active issue then.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Call Patrick at Colonial. Great experience.
Yep. We made the trek from GA to NJ twice to buy from Patrick. It was worth it.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote