Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Snowmass , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1
Negotiating Price in the Covid Era

Hello everyone. I have been looking to purchase a new basecamp X for a while and I am finally negotiating with a dealer on a new 2019 model. My search began prior to the pandemic and I had a good idea of what the fair value for this particular year, make and model would have been. Things have seemed to change very quickly in this market and basecamps have become tough to get a hold of recently. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience for negotiating down from the MSRP in the covid era. I originally felt confident I could get the price down 10-15%. But now I am concerned with how fast the market is moving and that this might be unreasonable given the high demand. I've been searching long and hard for this particular trailer so I don't want to lose out - but I also don't want to pay the MSRP given this is a year old model.

Sidenote - the dealer is charging a $1000 prep fee and I think this is outrageous. Can anyone else confirm that it is reasonable to refuse to pay this?

Thank you for any feedback, insight or resources anyone can provide.
__________________

LeppeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
brokeboater's Avatar
 
2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 320
When the market is particularly brisk, such as right now with any RV and Airstreams in particular, it is usually better to stand aside and wait for things to cool down.
__________________

__________________
“While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.”
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 724
Colonial Airstream has 2021 16 and a 20 in stock. Call them now and ask for a price. The 1000 prep fee would be a red flag against the dealer.
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeppeL View Post
Hello everyone. I have been looking to purchase a new basecamp X for a while and I am finally negotiating with a dealer on a new 2019 model. My search began prior to the pandemic and I had a good idea of what the fair value for this particular year, make and model would have been. Things have seemed to change very quickly in this market and basecamps have become tough to get a hold of recently. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience for negotiating down from the MSRP in the covid era. I originally felt confident I could get the price down 10-15%. But now I am concerned with how fast the market is moving and that this might be unreasonable given the high demand. I've been searching long and hard for this particular trailer so I don't want to lose out - but I also don't want to pay the MSRP given this is a year old model.

Sidenote - the dealer is charging a $1000 prep fee and I think this is outrageous. Can anyone else confirm that it is reasonable to refuse to pay this?

Thank you for any feedback, insight or resources anyone can provide.
Which dealer is asking for the $1000 prep fee? It doesn’t sound right.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

 
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cleveland , Ohio
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 64
Call Patrick at Colonial. Great experience.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,535
Blog Entries: 1
I think you are in better shape knowledge wise than many people buying now. You know the pricing. Now it is just a matter of deciding how much you are willing to pay knowing all that. Not much you can do about it but shop around and make a go/no go decision. If you can afford it and can get a price you can choke down somehow I am in the go ahead and get it when you can use it camp. Waiting until things are perfect does not always work out either. Do you need it now or do you have time to wait out the bubble? Total price is total price, no matter what tricky name the dealer calls the various parts of it. Prepping it might just consist of replacing the battery they stole out of it. Sorta like the car dealers making you pay extra for them doing the paperwork.

You know all this and I did not answer the actual question but it is fun posting.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Trilla the Traveling Tube
 
kpfate's Avatar
 
2018 22' Sport
CHEYENNE , WY
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 78
Is it Windish? Or Lazy Days? I know they are local's in Colorado. We by-passed the dealers and bought our's from a private seller in Denver. Granted to process in the title transfer was a bit of a pain going though a power of attorney, etc. but we got it all done and love our 22FB Sport!
__________________
As Fate would have it
2018 GMC Sierra 1500
2018 22FB Sport
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 200
Call Patrick
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
AFTER TAXES's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 285
Images: 14
price

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeppeL View Post
Hello everyone. I have been looking to purchase a new basecamp X for a while and I am finally negotiating with a dealer on a new 2019 model. My search began prior to the pandemic and I had a good idea of what the fair value for this particular year, make and model would have been. Things have seemed to change very quickly in this market and basecamps have become tough to get a hold of recently. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience for negotiating down from the MSRP in the covid era. I originally felt confident I could get the price down 10-15%. But now I am concerned with how fast the market is moving and that this might be unreasonable given the high demand. I've been searching long and hard for this particular trailer so I don't want to lose out - but I also don't want to pay the MSRP given this is a year old model.

Sidenote - the dealer is charging a $1000 prep fee and I think this is outrageous. Can anyone else confirm that it is reasonable to refuse to pay this?

Thank you for any feedback, insight or resources anyone can provide.
tell them what ur willing to pay....do ur homework
not the dealer telling you
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 62
I agree with the others here: Call Patrick at Colonial.

We ultimately decided to wait on buying an Airstream because I wanted to be in a better financial position overall (I had another expense pop up and decided I wanted to put more money down on the AS), but I did get a quote from him.

Considering it is summer (peak RV purchasing season), inventory is low, units ordered as inventory are being bought sight unseen before they're even built, and lead time for a build-to-order is 6 months, I expected the quoted price to be a long, long way from the 20% off MSRP that is generally regarded as a good deal.

To my surprise, that was not the case. Far from it. Had the other issues not popped up for me, I would have taken their deal on the spot.

I can't guarantee all units are going to be priced like that, but Colonial doesn't seem to be using high market demand and low inventory as an excuse for price gouging. That impressed me, as did Patrick's responsiveness by e-mail and by phone.

And that prep fee your dealer wants? Big red flag. Prep isn't an option or a bonus, it's part of what you are paying for when you buy the trailer. The manufacturers already pay dealers to do a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) and suss out and repair any issues that were missed during manufacturing or occurred during shipping. A prep fee is pure profit. Run away.

Jim
jameskuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,509
Images: 1
Welcome Aboard 👍

X2 on calling Patrick @ COLONIAL.

$1000 for a BC PDI is outrageous.
An unsold 2019 is not used but it's not really new either.
Take a step back and bargain with aplomb.

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 23' International
Dana Point , CA
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 27
Prices are not going to go down any time soon. The Airstream factory in Ohio was shut down due to Covid, so production stopped. It's a sellers market right now and will be for awhile.
__________________
RickP
RickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 13,724
Every single negotiation is a simple matter of supply and demand.

All the preconceptions about various factors and variables are secondary.

Be ready to commit to a price, and work your way toward that price.

Be ready to write a deposit check on demand, in case someone calls your bluff, or makes you an offer you can't refuse.

Clarity is power.

"Call Patrick at Colonial" is always good advice.

Good luck,
__________________
Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
Mikebrady62's Avatar
 
2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeppeL View Post
Hello everyone. I have been looking to purchase a new basecamp X for a while and I am finally negotiating with a dealer on a new 2019 model. My search began prior to the pandemic and I had a good idea of what the fair value for this particular year, make and model would have been. Things have seemed to change very quickly in this market and basecamps have become tough to get a hold of recently. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience for negotiating down from the MSRP in the covid era. I originally felt confident I could get the price down 10-15%. But now I am concerned with how fast the market is moving and that this might be unreasonable given the high demand. I've been searching long and hard for this particular trailer so I don't want to lose out - but I also don't want to pay the MSRP given this is a year old model.

Sidenote - the dealer is charging a $1000 prep fee and I think this is outrageous. Can anyone else confirm that it is reasonable to refuse to pay this?

Thank you for any feedback, insight or resources anyone can provide.
I had a great experience with Al Panicucci at Windish RV in Denver. He is great to deal with IMO
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Acheron2010's Avatar

 
2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 635
Call Patrick.
__________________
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 26RBQ
WBCCI #6679
In Montana, waiting for the Canadian border to open to Alberta province.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Hi,

I don't think this is going to turn around any time soon. RV are as HOT as ever right now and with halted production and iffy future supply may stay low for a while.

If you're financing note the APR may be a lot lower now than it may be in a year too....

I got lucky back in March when I hesitated twice on my 2019 FC. Called up and said "give me back my deposit I don't like the numbers" and they reworked it twice to ~30% discount!!!

Re $1000 prep fee. I'd get that clarified. Perhaps part of that "destination" etc all rolled into that..If for just putting fresh air in the tires an obvious no go!
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,183
2021's are in stock now so that 2019 is already considered 2 years old. Even with current conditions your 10-15% off seems like a minimum on a 2 year old "new" trailer.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Hittenstiehl's Avatar
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,367
Images: 9
The new (coming) models also have the new floorplan .

Yes by then it will be a almost 2yr old trailer. Make sure you get a new Battery not the one it's been sitting on the lot with.

Does it have the problematic fridge or newer.
__________________

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,520
Images: 8
2019 model could also have the built in feature callied a leak that was an active issue then.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Call Patrick at Colonial. Great experience.
Yep. We made the trek from GA to NJ twice to buy from Patrick. It was worth it.
__________________

KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Negotiating price on a '15 Scout 16' ViscousCycle Dollars & Cents 28 11-02-2014 10:14 AM
Price/Negotiating results FYI Howard L. Buyer Guidelines 5 07-21-2012 03:11 PM
Negotiating with Insurance Company davenpow Insurance & Claims 1 03-26-2010 04:11 PM
Buying '69 Sovereign for full-time home, negotiating purchase price dingding Member Introductions 2 03-20-2007 07:15 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.