Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
That sliding pantry thing--a few issues

First, I'll let you know that I bought three new baskets from AS and installed them. At least one took a little bit of Dremel magic, but they work fine. They increase the space markedly.

Second, I've noticed that things in the sliding pantry and in the closet above get hot. For example, if I've had a bag of bread out in the cabin (when it's cold) and then put it in either place, there's condensation inside the bag in no time. This is without using the microwave, so I'm not sure where the heat is from. But just so you know. (It also melted my chocolate, darn it!)

Third: a question. Has anyone discovered canisters that fit in those baskets? The only containers we've found that actually fit are the Talenti Gelato Containers, but they've awful short. (Fun to empty, though.) Has anyone come up with a good solution for storage containers?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Not sure about specific containers but one thing I did was to go to a local custom plastic supply/fabricator and get small rectangular pieces from extruded 3mm (1/8”) pvc sheet cut to size to act as a bottom shelf. This protects the paint on the metal shelving from being scraped off by the bottoms of jars and other containers. Worth the five bucks per shelf.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Heat in the pantry

If your pantry is next to the refrig, go open the exterior refrig vent doors and look at both sides of the refrig and across the top. Notice the 1" gaps? Get some of the foam pipe insulation tubes (the cheap 1/2" size) and run it up both sides using a putty knife to squeeze it between refrig and cabinet wall. Across the top I used a piece of self adhesive foil faced foam to seal that closed. Problem solved. No more "Heat soak" around the refrig making adjoining cabinets/wardrobes/pantry hot. Your welcome. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Lining the pantry baskets

Go to Walmart and purchase some "Yoga Mat" material. The cheap stuff, comes in several cool colors, about 5/16" thick, about $7.00 per roll. Cut it to fit snuggly in the basket bottoms. Done! Works perfect. We lined all of our cabinets bottoms with this material. Overhead lockers, bathroom shelves, under the sink. You get the picture. Took about 3 rolls and an hour or so. Nice cushion and keeps stuff from sliding around. This is a great, inexpensive mod that works great in any RV.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
We added shelves too, and use the gelato containers. Haven’t found anything that works as well. I’m forbidden to throw any of them out. Ever!
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Narrow mouth Nalgene bottles are a little loose and wide mouth Nalgene bottles are a little tight but they both work. With three more baskets installed you might have head room issue with them.

usplastics.com has a wide selection of containers but sometimes their minimum order quantity is way more than one needs.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Ball jars & OXO click top containers

We have found the sliding pantry to be useful for storing stuff like napkins, kitchen towels, foil wrap. Two container types we rely on to store coffee, rice, and other bulk items are ball jars and the OXO good grips POP 0.9 and 1.5 quart size containers. The OXO just fit, but that's not a bad thing since they don't slide around.
SerenityVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I also value the Talenti Gelato jars and along the same line the illy espresso cans work quite well - they are the same diameter but about 7 inches high. They are aluminum (unfortunately one can not remove the lettering otherwise they would really match the AS). They have a lid that is an air-tight seal though being metal you can't easily see what is inside of each one.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Works great as a Bar with cardboard wedges between the bottles and mixers and also for spices and cooking utensils and Yeti insulated mugs and cups.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Containers

Enjoy that 2020 with the nice factory upgrades-

We found several in Orlando at “ The Container Store."
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I take all of my branded metal containers out to the back, put them on some newspaper, and spray paint the hell out of them. Some containers have a raised brand … can't do much about that. But a couple coats of spraypaint will work well to cover text, and it's easy.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
You found 2020 Flying Clouds at the Container Store in Orlando? Wow. Hope you got their discount.

Did you meet Scott from Orlando RV/RV One? He's a good guy.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Illy and Oxo (sounds like a graphic novel but isn't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelle View Post
illy espresso cans
Is there a specific size that I need to buy? Are all sizes the same diameter? Any suggestions about what I can do with the espresso when I empty the cans? (We don't drink espresso.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityVT View Post
OXO good grips POP 0.9 and 1.5 quart size containers.
Just want to clarify: Do all of the Oxo Good Grips POP 0.9 and 1.5 quart containers have the same diameter? We're overflowing in the house with plastic containers, and I'd hate to buy some that don't fit in the trailer.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Third: a question. Has anyone discovered canisters that fit in those baskets? The only containers we've found that actually fit are the Talenti Gelato Containers, but they've awful short. (Fun to empty, though.) Has anyone come up with a good solution for storage containers?
I found that the Made By Design plastic food canisters sold at Target are a perfect fit for the slide-out pantry. In my 27', I can get two side-by-side on the shelf. A 25' might only fit one as the pantry is narrower.

https://www.target.com/p/4-w-x-4-d-x...2/-/A-52380382
shucklemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Serenity-- just got my Oxxo Good Grips. They fit perfectly. Thank you so much for your recommendation!
Old 02-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
We found that the Kirkland sliced peaches jar fit perfectly! Had my husband eat peaches until he couldn't eat any more. Then used the jars for coffee grounds, flour, sugar, pancake mix and more.
Judi R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
When I get around to it (couple of weeks) I will post pics of what we are doing. The slide on the pantry gave out. Solution was remove the entire sliding mechanism and sliding 'baskets'. Installing real shelves. They are deep and very wide, there was lots of wasted space. Lots more storage room. Things like paper towels, TP, towels in the back.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Merrimack , New Hampshire
We did the same! Yoga mats were on sale at Target last weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Go to Walmart and purchase some "Yoga Mat" material. The cheap stuff, comes in several cool colors, about 5/16" thick, about $7.00 per roll. Cut it to fit snuggly in the basket bottoms. Done! Works perfect. We lined all of our cabinets bottoms with this material. Overhead lockers, bathroom shelves, under the sink. You get the picture. Took about 3 rolls and an hour or so. Nice cushion and keeps stuff from sliding around. This is a great, inexpensive mod that works great in any RV.
Denisemdb60 is offline   Reply With Quote