Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2023, 10:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , Michigan
Towing a new classic 33

Wife and I are currently researching for a new Airstream. We like the Classic 33. I do need to get a larger truck to tow this RV. Looking for size recommendations. We get a Ford discount so it will be a Super Duty. I was thinking of a F350, short or long bed crew cab. Any thoughts?

Thanks
KC & MC
AAFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAFD View Post
Wife and I are currently researching for a new Airstream. We like the Classic 33. I do need to get a larger truck to tow this RV. Looking for size recommendations. We get a Ford discount so it will be a Super Duty. I was thinking of a F350, short or long bed crew cab. Any thoughts?

Thanks
KC & MC
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. The F350 should do the job just fine. I'd go with the long bed. The longer wheelbase will give you a more stable footing for towing the 33.
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I pull a 30 foot Classic with a 1 ton long bed Dually. After having to slam on the breaks to avoid a major collision on the highway last year I can’t imagine towing with anything less. I know you will hear from others who will say you don’t need that big of a truck, but my experience tells me otherwise.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have a long bed CC F350. I like the extra cargo capacity over a short bed.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. The F350 should do the job just fine. I'd go with the long bed. The longer wheelbase will give you a more stable footing for towing the 33.
Wife father worked for Ford so we get a ford discount and Im not sure if a 3/4 ton will give me enough capacity if we load up the bed?

I guess my question was like, short bed or long, singe or dually?

KC
Old 04-16-2023, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I’m in a long bed 2500 and it’s plenty for our 30 classic. If a 3500 was available, I would have done it for the extra payload. I think you’ll be fine in a F350.

Typically duelly isn’t required for bumper pull setups but if you’re going to ever do a gooseneck, the larger wheel base provides greater stability.

Gas vs diesel will be another option to think about. I have diesel and love the longevity that I will get out of it but it does lower your pay load and require greater maintenance and at this point, greater fuel costs too. We have a friend that just got a F350 tremor and crunched the numbers and couldn’t justify going diesel knowing he’s not full timing anymore in the coming years — gas is just a better daily driver if you’re not towing hundreds of miles at a time every week or few days.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
I pull a 30 foot Classic with a 1 ton long bed Dually. After having to slam on the breaks to avoid a major collision on the highway last year I can’t imagine towing with anything less. I know you will hear from others who will say you don’t need that big of a truck, but my experience tells me otherwise.
You don't need that big a 'truck'.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-17-2023, 09:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
I actually one upped the F350 diesel dually and bought the F450. Price difference was minimal and the better turn radius in the front end and one more leaf spring made more sense to me. I have a 33’ classic. I love my combo. And it is not my daily driver.
SilvaStreama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #9
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
AAFD - Have you driven a super duty (F250/350)? They are excellent tow vehicles, but not convenient daily drivers.

Your singular question was standard or long bed on a super duty. IF you have confidence in driving a SD thru tight parking spaces, the 8 foot bed will provide a 48 gallon fuel tank, which is a great benefit. My vote is to get a topper with carpet liner, LED rope lights in the roof of the topper and a cargo slide.

Off topic:
These threads often expand the OP’s question, so I recommend we all stay on topic.
1. Dual wheels and F450 recommendations are off topic and provide excessive capability based on our extensive travels with caravans and rallies and wintering over at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL with about 300 other trailers. Plus you can watch several YouTube channels to gain outstanding perspectives on capabilities of tow vehicles:
A. TFL Trucks
B. Big Truck Big RV
C. LOLOHO
D. KYD - Keep Your Daydream
2. gas vs diesel engine = off topic.

Please let us know what you decide on purchasing and how long it will take you to receive. Assuming you want to order your TV and only purchase what is important to your family in options and interior and exterior colors. Then tell us what rally or caravan you will sign up for first. These are events where you will receive great advice on the Airstream experience. An example of a great topic that many folks are interested in - solar power. This topic was included in our recent Region 3 Rally at Ocean Lakes RV park at Myrtle Beach. KYD YouTube channel also has a great review of a solar install by Airstream Nuts and Bolts instead of a factory install. Ronnie Dennis in Dadeville, AL owns Airstream Nuts and Bolts and performs a wonderful installation, with claims that the equipment he uses is better than OEM equipment and perhaps at a lower price.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:54 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We've been very happy towing our 30' Classic with an F350. It's a great choice. It is far from the only truck on the planet so there are indeed other choices as well.

If you are ordering one in be sure to get the full up tow package including power mirrors. Past that, it's up to you. We have a long bed and the extra space is nice as is the larger fuel tank.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
I prefer the shorter bed for the increased maneuverability around town when disconnected.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 05:38 PM   #12
RavingRiveter

2021 33FB Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
We're two months into full time on the road and we're towing a Classic 33 with an F250 short bed. Can't imagine a long bed as it can be difficult enough to park ours when you're running errands and sightseeing. We haven't been in an emergency braking situation yet so can't speak from that experience. Maybe it depends on how much gear you're taking with you and even though we have a generator and a hydraulic lift (both very heavy) we're under recommended towing capacity.
jamiecherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , Michigan
Yes, I have owned several Super Duty, I have drive F550, F650 and large trucks.

KC
Old 04-22-2023, 02:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Highly recommend a F350. We have a diesel, CCLB. Love the 48 gallon tank. Just back from a trip out west, over 8,000 miles. Payload is 4,200 lbs, and we fill the bed (have a cap). Good luck.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:33 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Stafford , Virginia
Buyer Beware

Transmissions are a huge consideration. I found this article for the beginner and professional alike to refresh or enlighten as desired...

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/p...-transmission/
1811SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , Michigan
Thank you for all the great advice!!!

KC
Old 04-23-2023, 12:06 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
a 350 is such overkill. I've towed our 33 Classic from Az to Maine to Idaho, pretty much all over the southwest and had zero issues either with horsepower or stopping. We have a 2016 F150 5'6" bed Eco boost v6 with max tow/max payload. I also have a Hensley hitch. I just looked at the new 2023 F150 and horsepower and torque have increased by about a third. And it's a good all around day to day truck that gets 20 mpg when not towing.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
a 350 is such overkill. I've towed our 33 Classic from Az to Maine to Idaho, pretty much all over the southwest and had zero issues either with horsepower or stopping. We have a 2016 F150 5'6" bed Eco boost v6 with max tow/max payload. I also have a Hensley hitch. I just looked at the new 2023 F150 and horsepower and torque have increased by about a third. And it's a good all around day to day truck that gets 20 mpg when not towing.
Hi

This is very much dependent on how you load things and what you have along. For us, *any* F150 would be at least 1,000 pounds over limit .... That's not how you want to do things.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote