Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Power shade only goes down half-way

Hi,
One of our shades on a 33ft classic stopped closing all the way. Nothing is blocking the track and the cords appear to have proper tension. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the shade so that it closes completely?
Thanks!
hjnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
This is happening to our front Day shade on our 2018 33 also.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjnj View Post
Hi,
One of our shades on a 33ft classic stopped closing all the way. Nothing is blocking the track and the cords appear to have proper tension. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the shade so that it closes completely?
Thanks!
I had this happen when I tried to close all of the night shades. The one by the dinette wouldn't close all the way. I tried opening and closing just that particular shade in the 'control' section of the Czone and it started closing properly again.
The Naker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naker View Post
I had this happen when I tried to close all of the night shades. The one by the dinette wouldn't close all the way. I tried opening and closing just that particular shade in the 'control' section of the Czone and it started closing properly again.

Thanks for the tip, I tried exactly that several times and it did go down further but not all the way. Seems like there must be a way to adjust it but nothing that I can find online and there is no mention of the power shades in the owner’s manual. It is the same shade that you had trouble with - by the dinette.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
This is happening to our front Day shade on our 2018 33 also.

Interesting because I spent quite a bit of time online and couldn’t find much on the topic. Based on your comment and Naker’s, we are not alone. Would be nice if Airstream had some info on getting these back in sync. Thanks for commenting.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Pittsboro , North Carolina
We had the same issue in our '18 33 FB. All curbside nigh shades decided to stop at "half mast" at once. (no problem with the road side). Colonial had to reprogram the limits. No issues since.
chickenrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Are these shades made by Zip Dee
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Same trouble with my 2019 Classic 33. It’s at the dealer now to fix that issue and a long list of quality issues.
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Fort Pierce , FL
The power blind on our 33’ Classic CS Rear Night Shade caught on the window latch and would only go down half way after that no matter how many times we opened and closed it. I fixed the problem by taking it off the track and opening and closing it several times, holding it up so it would open all the way, then reattached it. Note: it is easier to undo the bottom track than the top.

Susan
2020 33’ Classic FBQ
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7
sesmith06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Try this.

Oceanair Blind Recalibration
The Oceanair blinds tension can be adjusted if it is not going all the way up or down. The following steps will need to be performed for resetting the stopping points back to their factory settings.
Next, unsnap the bottom track from the fasteners by releasing the tab.
Start by raising the blind that is not operating correctly all the way up to the open position.

After the bottom track has been removed from the fasteners, hold the track level about 4 inches above the bottom of the window box.
While holding the bottom track in place have someone lower the blind all the way down and then raise the blind all the way up. Do not let go of the bottom track during this process.
Once the blind is back in the upper position install the track back into the fasteners. Hook the two tabs into the bar and then snap it back onto the tab.
This process may need to be repeated to reset the tension.

Airstream has a bulletin with pictures to go along with the instructions. Unfortunately for some reason I can’t copy the entire bulletin. Not sure why. Hope this helps.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Fort Pierce , FL
Airstream power blind issue: Thank you!

Thank you, JDG. That is pretty much exactly what I did. We have another blind that doesn’t go as far down as the others and are going to test it on that one. I did exactly what you described and it worked so we are going to test it on this one as well. I’m glad you were able to find some information on the issue. I looked and didn’t see any.

Thank you again,
Susan
2020 33’ Classic FBQ
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
sesmith06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Thank you, JDG.

PRinted your instructions and will try it when I get back to my Airstream.
All the best,
Harry
Old 01-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #13
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Sorry I couldn’t post the actual Airstream bulletin with the pictures but hopefully you can follow and it makes sense without the pictures. Not even sure where I got it but it is the “official” fix. Best of luck.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #14
Blue Sky Ranch

2019 33' Classic
Stuart , Florida
No, they are Oceanair Blinds from the Marine industry
RVTRAVELER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bushnell , Florida
I had this problem and finally found a tech at airstream who knew how to fix it. It is an easy fix. Take the bottom rail loose and place a spacer about an inch or two high under it so it lays loose on the spacer. Run the shade down and back up. The shade probably won't go back up but it has been recalibrated. Re connect the bottom rail and operate the shade. That's it, your done.
billcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:50 PM   #16
Airstream Newbie

2021 33FB Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
Directions for fixing your OceanAir auto-blinds

I had the same problem with my day shade. One of them only went half way down. I contacted Airstream and they sent me this document. I followed the directions and it all works fine now. Jim

PS. I had the problem on two different shades- my fault. When the blinds closed they caught on the window latches that were not properly in place. When I ran the fix I had to do it three times on one window before it reset properly into place. It may take multiple up/down attempts before it resets.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INTT_TT_oceanair Airstream shade blind ADJUSTMENT.pdf (950.7 KB, 61 views)
Gunta10 is offline   Reply With Quote