Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Going from DP to AS?

We currently have a 2017 Discovery 41 foot diesel pusher and are considering downsizing to an AS Classic 33FB. We are making a list of positives and negatives. Topping the negatives is No washer and dryer, No generator with AGS, less storage space and not having our Jeep Wrangler with us camping. The top of the list of positives are no slides to break, no jacks to break, an awning that is usable and overall a lot fewer things to go wrong and of course the coolness of the AS. We just traveled 1000 mile round trip over the weekend to do a walkthrough of the 33FB…so we are seriously looking.

We are retired and travel about 150 to 180 days per year usually 3 weeks at a time. We put 26,000 miles on our DP since March 2017. We don’t stay in one place for more than a week to 10 days.

Has anyone else made the jump from Class A to an AS and how happy are you with the switch? Any Regrets?
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We made the switch to a 25' RB Flying Cloud in late 2012 from a 42' American Eagle. The only regret we have is that we wish we had made the change earlier. We have missed the washer dryer but have quickly grown accustomed to using campground laundries; it has not posed a problem. We thought we'd miss the genny but haven't, certainly not enough to haul one around with us. We also thought that we would miss our Jeep Wrangler, but quickly grew used to having a Ford expedition 4WD to drive around after we unhooked the trailer. I've really missed the horrendous upkeep and maintenance on the big pusher along with the constant need to repair something. And we miss the big engine, transmission, wheels, tires, etc. I love the relative simplicity of the Airstream and the fact that I can make virtually any repairs on a DIY basis. Absolutely no regrets!
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Doing it next week class A 36 to FC27FB

I can't give you any regrets but I will say I understand what you are going through. We also did the positives vs negatives and came up with the same list you have. We were a little closer to a dealer and only spent a 12 hour day to look at our soon to be trailer. We spend 2 to 3 months in TX, FL & SC during the winter. This year on our return trip the we reevaluated how long we would stay in one spot (4 weeks longest) and what type of RVing we wanted to do. We agreed that we would like to see more sites without the reservation deadlines or size limitations. We also like to boondock as much as possible when traveling and being smaller more maneuverable is an advantage for us. My biggest adjustment will be the generator, but once we get a full solar set up that should be less of an issue. We found our washer/dryer combo was used for quick loads and that we still used the campgrounds washer dryer once a week anyway, so we'll learn to adjust (we pack to much clothing anyways). Change is difficult but it depends on what you foresee the end result. I already tow a truck so we are just swapping ends and will use the truck bed for our "basement storage". What I look forward to is not driving a rig the size of a tractor trailer. I'll let some one else who has made the change chime in. Best of Luck with your decision process.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
What Edistobob Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edistobob View Post
We made the switch to a 25' RB Flying Cloud ...........I've really missed the horrendous upkeep and maintenance on the big pusher along with the constant need to repair something. And we miss the big engine, transmission, wheels, tires, etc. I love the relative simplicity of the Airstream and the fact that I can make virtually any repairs on a DIY basis. Absolutely no regrets!

How could I forget the other Major reason, Maintenance and upkeep. Very good post Edistobob.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
You will love the classic. You should also check out the 30. You won’t have that massive bathroom like the 33 or the big screen TV but the weight is more evenly distributed and less things to break. We enjoy the rear bed having large windows to look out of while still having front windows to relax at the couch and enjoy the view. With the 33, your living space is in the middle of the trailer. Depending on what kind of camping you will do, it may come into play...

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I have had back surgery and the only AS that has a real comfort couch to me is the 33FB. I do like the 30-floor plan but the couch is the deal breaker and couch it looks like the same couch as the 33 but doesn't seat the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
You will love the classic. You should also check out the 30. You won’t have that massive bathroom like the 33 or the big screen TV but the weight is more evenly distributed and less things to break. We enjoy the rear bed having large windows to look out of while still having front windows to relax at the couch and enjoy the view. With the 33, your living space is in the middle of the trailer. Depending on what kind of camping you will do, it may come into play...
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talk to the dealer and explain the problem. Airstream does not willingly do custom changes, but for a handicap adaptation? Cannot hurt to ask. At the very least, the dealer MIGHT order a 33 couch and pass it along to you at cost. They might also find out who manufactured the couch so you could get one from the manufacturer without the Airstream markup.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Has anyone else made the jump from Class A to an AS and how happy are you with the switch? Any Regrets?
I did.
I loved my DP. But when I retired, the $500 oil changes, the $600 tires (each x 6) the constant need for resealing the roof, lubing the jacks, fixing the dash A/C (since it sat a lot) got to be no fun. It was also bigger than I needed being solo.
My bad knees complained about the five steps. Washing it was a big project in 90 degree Florida heat. Filling the fuel tank was $$$.
It was a nice unit, never stranded me, and drove like a dream even though it was big.
I now have a 26'. No regrets.
Know what I miss most? The ice maker. It was a real luxury.
Sometimes I get "Classic envy" and wish I had Corian countertops and raised panel doors, but at this time in my life, I'm happy.
I try to attend AS rallies in my area and meet new folks.
With the MH, people stay inside, with the AS you mingle.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
My experience is that over the last year or two, there have been what to me seem to be an unusual number of almost new Airstream 33s advertised in the AS classifieds, and also several posts from AS 33 owners expressing what sound to me like buyer's regret. I know when the AS 33 came out, my sweetie and I drove to our local AS dealer and inspected one, and she fell all over it, as in WOW! Reading the ads and comments, however, has led me to have second thoughts. A year or so ago, I shopped for them and found a dealer in Florida who would order a new one for me for $119,950, so they can be had at significantly off their approx. $160K MSRP. My best to you however you decide.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
40ft DP to 25ft AS FC twin. The real question is how you plan on using the AS. We basically use ours as a traveling living space rarely spending more than 3 weeks out at a time. I do miss pulling into a rest stop for lunch in a nice cool environment. I don't miss all the maintenance problems from the MH although you will have issues and maintenance with the AS. The AS is much more maneuverable and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to wash and dry compared to an all day affair with the MH. Definitely less cost to own and operate AS. Good Luck with your decision!
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Lafayette , Louisiana
Been there done that

Came out of a 45ft coach into an 02 Classic Ltd w slide about 6 yrs ago. We never looked back.
We recently bought an 05 19’ Bambi and after several trips in it we are going to sell the 34’. Trying to simplify our life and do more state and national parks which we weren’t able to do in the big bus.
Terrygmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Miami , Florida
New owner of 33 Classic FB. Went from 40' class A diesel. The only thing I miss from the class A is the repeated saying "What Now?!" I love the AS. Takes a little time to get used to the less space but the stress relief is worth it. Just find a reputable dealer that also provides great service.
Dog House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #13

2018 Atlas
Crestview Hills , Kentucky
Downsizing

We understand your questioning the change. We recently went from a 2015 45’ American Eagle with a 600 hp Cummings to a 2018 24’ Airstream Atlas. The mental debate over pros and cons and the unloading the coach was harder to get past than actual downsizing. It took 3 days to unload the coach. We had approximately 45,000 miles on it at time of sale. Both my wife and I find it amusing to see how much stuff we really do not need to take with us for a four-week trip. If we need to do laundry, we pick a campground that has a clean and well-kept laundry room. We have come to enjoy the simplicity of our travels. Pull a Jeep and have two 8 lbs. dogs.
mpmattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You are actually going from DP+Jeep to AS+truck. In either length (30 or 33) the Classic is best towed with a truck. I tow with an F250 and that is a fairly common choice size wise. Brand preference is always an open issue. Even with a 250/2500 size, you still will be adding various options to bring it up to full towing capability. Bumping from a 250 to a 350 is not a big cost increase once those options are on there.

Why babble about this? Putting a cap on the truck (once it is of reasonable payload rating) *is* a possibility. It is yet another wrinkle in the choices you will be making. Doing that opens up a range of storage / transport options.

Not trying to make this any harder, but it *is* part of the package

====

All RV's have teething pains, it's just the nature of the beast. We have not had anything that I would call insane on our 30' over the last two years. The brakes needed a bit more work than I would have expected, but not beyond what other brands see on the same gear (at least according to my local truck repair mechanic).

Washer wise, we're home now doing the "end of journey" laundry. It's sort of interesting. Over the last few months, we've become accustom to going in and filling a number of washers and then a number of dryers. Everything (no matter how much) is done in about two hours. Not so much when you have one of each ....

I have not seen the 2020 Classic spec sheets yet. If they are out, AS is not doing a very good job of presenting that fact. Each of the last few years there have been minor tweaks in the specs. There may be changes in things like the solar panels. Judging from the lack (so far) of yack, it appears that the 2019's and 2020's will be pretty much same / same. That's not all bad. Fewer changes mean less nonsense to have issues while you act as a beta tester ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
No generator with AGS
What is AGS?
Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
AGS is Automatic Generator Start. It is a beautiful thing set up correctly. You can have the generator start when the temperature goes over a say 74 degrees and shut off when the temperature hits 70 degrees. Or you can have it generator start when battery voltage hits 12.2 and turn off when it reaches 12.6. You can set quiet hours where the generator won't start. If you put a high load on with something like a coffee pot the generator will auto start and turn off when the load goes away. Lazy people like myself really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
What is AGS?
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
We’re also thinking about this change. Very interested to follow this post.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Going to other way. AS for sale, looking for a DP after the sale.
Thomas31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:38 AM   #19
Mc2
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wayne , New Jersey
Made the switch from 32ft DP to Classic 30. Wish I had gone with the Classic from the get go. Less maintenance and cost. Less worry over slides and what was going to go wrong next. Miss my Jeep but GMC 2500 fun truck to drive. Use the bed as my storage with a roll top. Love my AS.
Mc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
We moved from a Newmar DP to a Classic 30 and haven’t looked back. Absolutely LOVE our Airstream. It is so much more relaxing and so simple. Another big plus we hadn’t considered is the awesome Airstream community you get. Best of luck to you.
WBAC #5932
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote