Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Paper Towel Holder

Good morning again,

Ya'll have nailed a couple of questions that I have had in the past, and with that in mind, I thought I would hit ya'll with another one. By the way, the trailer is a 2015 Flying Cloud 27FB

We have been looking at what to do about a paper towel holder by the sink, and have come up with a few options. First, is a free standing holder that would be put away when we are on the move. Second, is using two sided tape to stick one one the cabinet above the kitchen sink. And last is drilling holes in the cabinet above the kitchen sink to mount the paper towel holder.

Has anyone had any experience with the 3 choices and, if so, what did you think of the results.

As always, thanks in advance,

Stan
stanwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My solution, bungee cord at the rear of the oven vent. Inexpensive, out of the way and very effective,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	247335  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you have a heat shield above your stove, it will take to magnets and you can put up a magnetic one like we did 2-3 years ago.

Ordered it online, about $20, and it works great.

Yes, it hangs plenty high enough above your burner that fire is not an issue....if you really, really tried to set your paper towels on fire, I'm sure you could, but I cook in a skillet or pot over mine all the time, and never a problem.

Once you saw it up, you would see there is at least 24" above the flame.....covered when you are cooking over it, anyway.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We screwed a nice wooden towel holder in the vertical position to the cabinet (not the roof locker which is above this cabinet) above the sink in our 2014 Classic

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I use heavy base free standing towel holders. Got them at Costco. They don't move and don't need to be put away when traveling. No holes, no tape.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
In our 27fb I attached a simple wall-mount type towel roll holder I got at Walmart to the right side of the stove exhaust hood. The holder is "stainless" steel/metal that blends well with the hood. I used command "velcro" type strips if I remember correctly, so no damage to the metal hood side piece, and it's removable.

Works great.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
Paper Towel Holder

Sharper Image has one (sold at TJ Maxx or Ross) that has a suction on the bottom that is activated by a twist on the top knob (this is loosened each time you need to replace the roll). We keep it on the counter, behind the faucet, closest to the door (out of the way, and doesn't need to be put away while traveling because it stays put). It's been terrific and has worked wonderfully in the past three years...I just checked Amazon and it looks like they carry a similar one from Norpro (search for Norpro Suction Base paper towel holder).
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441512307.606228.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	247356
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
We bought the holder below off Amazon. It is installed in the overhead storage area above the stove. Tried installing with super strength double sided tape and it stayed on for about an hour, probably due to the curve in the skin. I ended up drilling and attaching with screws, not my first choice and not without some concern about the location of the light wires etc. Also, be careful not to drill too deep, the outer skin is just 2" away - that could be a VERY bad day 😫

The black plastic bins are from Walmart (in the office/stationary area)- about $2 each, great to stop items moving around up there. You can see 2 and a half bins in the photo. They sit on the flat bottom of the storage area and there is still room in front and on top for storage. Two of these will also fit side by side in the lower storage area below the sink near the door to keep things like bug spray, first aid kit etc under control.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441547245.902705.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  104.9 KB
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Here is where and how we mounted our paper towel holder in our Classic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paper towel holder 1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	247460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paper towel holder 2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	247461  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lots of good ideas here....all these great minds, figuring how to best utilize limited space.

For most of us, and certainly for me, it is important that the paper towels be off the counter top......it would seem there is something here that would suit everyone.

Maggie
Old 09-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I got a very inexpensive one at Walmart. About $4. A rectangular chrome base that sits on the counter. Lightweight and small profile.

I like portable so that it can go outside by the picnic table. Packs under the microwave with my trash bags on my 22 sport.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Paper Towel Holder

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. This forum is the best I have every worked with. You guys got me thinking and there are plethora of great ideas.

Thanks again,

Stan
stanwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For 8 years paper towels have lived in the cabinet above the slide out pantry. They get in the way of other stuff in there and eventually they are standing on end on the counter, the dinette table, a cabinet we installed on the gaucho bed/sofa or anywhere else out of the way at a particular moment.

This does not bother me, but Barb wants a solution. Just yesterday we went over all the places a holder could be. Under the cabinet over the counter—hard to fit it between the light, stove vent, cabinet door. It would also be in front of the tank monitor. You can get a paper towel holder with a rachet that prevents it from unrolling while driving. I don't want it near the stove top because of fire danger. The ceiling would work except for the ugliness quotient. Under the dinette cabinet would be ugly too. It would be nice if Airstream tried to solve this because they can make slight changes in design easier than we can. It could go under the cabinet over the countertop by moving the light there closer to the stove. I'd move the light myself, but it would leave a mark where it was.

So, our present solution was to leave the paper towel roll in the left sink (we have the more convenient double sink used until Safari became Flying Cloud) while traveling and stand it on its side when using the kitchen. By not putting it in the cabinet above the pantry, that cabinet can be organized better. Not elegant, but practical.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote