Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Let's start a fly fishing group. I'm a self taught flailer and 30+year catch and release guy. Beware the WBCCI groups. It is practically impossible to break into the "clique". We joined last year and tried multiple times to rally and unless someone dies you can't get into the inner sanctum.
Longboard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Kevin - set up that rig and practice a bit some night this week. It will make that two years go faster. Hold it, I've got that backwards. If you are thinking about fishing and ASing it will take for ever for two years to pass. But you do want to enjoy every day, so practice a bit anyway.

Plan to try the San Jaun on one of our trips. It gets great reviews. Not sure it will be included on the next trip as it's just a tiny bit off the planned route. But a todo list is a good thing to have when it's trip planning time.

It's spring and you need to find a place to try out that new rig. I can just see the pan fish rising to a dry fly for you.

Good Luck, stay dry and travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
LB - Sorry to hear about your difficulty with the WBCCI. Our experience at least initially, is quite good. We went to the Greater Bay Area AS Club's Gillroy Rally and had a great time. Folks worked quite hard to make everyone welcome. We also spent some time talking to the Regional President who is a NorCal member. Very interesting folks so far.

Member of the Diablo Valley Fly Fishing club. Look them up on line. They might be a good fit for you. Most of their trips are East and North.

Stay dry and travel safe. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Doug - lots of on-line video on youtube - how to, where to, and what to.

Not expensive, but not as inexpensive as a $25 spinning rod and a $50 fishing license. By the time you have a rig you will be in to this for $150 rod, $75 reel, $25 line, $5 leader, $25 of flys and a $50 fishing license. Plan to double that if you are not careful, plan on cold water wadding, or have a wide taste in fishing venues. Add about another $50 of odds and ends like a hat, tools, and polarized sun glasses. When you get into it, your budget will expand with your available discretionary spending allocation. Careful not to eat into the AS budget.

Look at Cabellas for gear. They have most of the main brands as well as their own labels. LL Bean is not terrible as an alternative and has a great return policy. After you have looked some, you need to talk to an expert, friend or relative. If you have a local shop that specializes in Fly Fishing, they can be a big help if you hit them when they are not busy. Once you have a feel for what you want, the on line close outs, fly fishing shows and marketing special offers can all be good value. But do not forget to shop your local folks. They need to make a living too.

It is not as hard as it looks. Really! Get a rod, reel, and some line. Then practice. A 50-100 ft open area is enough. Videos help. Practice.....after a while, what the video said sinks in.

Have reasonable expectations. With catch and release, you don't keep the fish, so if you don't catch any, you are none the worse off. Plan on flailing the water and develop some skill. The folks watching will think you are after the monster.

Every day on the water adds another day to your life. I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Good Luck - tight lines. Pat

PS - never caught a fish, good possibility I never will, but I plan on extending my life a bunch! Almost as much fun as an Airstream.
Thanks very much for this Pat. I actually own a rig already, I just need to get a few instructions on how and what to do with it. I have practised a few times in my back yard and actually seem to be able to cast it (sort of). I'm just not sure how or what flies to use etc. One of these days, I will bump into someone fly fishing and I will bend their ear enough to at least get started....

Thanks again

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
NO fair! Western Fly Fishing thread but leaving off California. The Smith River near Crescent City, Mc Cloud River near Shasta, Hat Creek near Burney, Upper Sacramento near Redding, Russian River in Sonoma Co for salmon & steelhead, Carson and Truckee and Walker Rivers in the Sierras... Shall I go on? DH says, "Don't forget the lakes."
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Doug

Kind of is good enough. Does not hurt the stories you tell when you get home one little bit. And if anyone comments on your style, just tell them it's the East Coast method ..... unless of course they are from the East Coast.

Just about every fly shop can help you with the flys for their area. A bit of research on dry flys, nymphs, and streamers helps so you understand what is happening. Watch a few videos on fly tying. The good tyers spend some time on why they are making the fly the way it is constructed.

Presentation is supposed to be key. A lot of bad flys will get a hit if they are presented correctly. That would be in front of the fish's nose in a natural fashion with no drag. A lot of good flys don't get a hit because the fish are feeding on something specific and the fly is not to their taste. That is where the experts get hit and the flailers get to watch.

It does help a lot to get good local info. I picked up a guide book that had interviews with about a dozen different guides. I am convinced that you can learn a lot from a guide if you are willing to listen and try new approaches. I am also convinced that you can have a lot of fun and catch a lot of fish without ever even watching a guide. It's all in how and what you want to learn.

Part of fly fishing is a zen kind of experience. It can be an emotional escape that lets you develop a mental focus that moves you away from the day to day stresses that wear us down. It helps a lot to not keep score and to be in it to have fun.

Hope you find time to give it a try. Stay dry and safe. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaebrewer View Post
NO fair! Western Fly Fishing thread but leaving off California. The Smith River near Crescent City, Mc Cloud River near Shasta, Hat Creek near Burney, Upper Sacramento near Redding, Russian River in Sonoma Co for salmon & steelhead, Carson and Truckee and Walker Rivers in the Sierras... Shall I go on? DH says, "Don't forget the lakes."
Linda, linda, linda .... Now you have gone and done it. Don't you know that you never let out the good fishing near your home area. If you do, all the folks go there and you can't get a line in anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

Now, just don't tell them about Putah Creek or the Delta. At least then we can still ..... ooops!

Stay dry and travel safe. Pat
Old 04-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you can afford about $400-$500 and have a buddy that can split the cost a 1/2 day guided service on your favorite rivers is highly recommended. Gotta pay for your education. You get to fish with the guide, learn the flies of the area and possibly fish some parts of the river not open to the public.

While a love to use dry fly fish its the nymphs and subsurface flies that catch more. You have to learn a different set of techniques for wet fly fishing.

I'm useless on lakes. Never seem to have any luck especially when fly fishing. I prefer rivers and creeks.

Maybe TwoChicks will check in on this thread and make some suggestions on waters.

Kelvin
Old 04-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
In an area you are not familiar with always get a guide.

But the again, my wife Sam is a guide.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I love Cabellas! Their "lifetime" guarantee is real. A few years back I carelessly broke the tip section on one of their rods. I called, apologized for my stupidity, and they said "no problem". They sent me a new rod!

"Fish On"
Old 10-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Mainville , Alabama
Any river...anywhere...anytime

That's like we do...full timers, retired and on the river 24-7 weather permitting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160930_103303.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	757.4 KB
ID:	272691  
rustyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rusty that's quite some setup you have there. Nice

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Mainville , Alabama
Many thanks...

She comes complete with my fly tying bench that is built in up front. Been at the sport for over 30 years, and can never get enough.

If you happen upon us out west, please knock on our door, always willing to share,the local secrets
rustyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard6 View Post
I love Cabellas! Their "lifetime" guarantee is real. A few years back I carelessly broke the tip section on one of their rods. I called, apologized for my stupidity, and they said "no problem". They sent me a new rod!

"Fish On"
Bass Pro is taking over Cabellas

Kelvin
Old 10-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Segway,

Saw that yesterday also.

We are lucky and have one of each store here. They each have their distinct special items.

C had 90 stores and approx 20,000 employees and B had 85 stores and approx 28,500 employees.

If course in the beginning they'll say both stores can coexist but we know in the end that won't be the case. Likely to be jobs lost and that's always the worst part.

That and my DH having to find another pair of shorts to wear. You would think us buying 7 pocket shorts for the last 14 years would helped.

Hittenstiehl
Old 10-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I been able to experience both stores. I preferred Cabellas vs Bass Pro. I now live where Bass Pro has its first store and headquarters. Bass Pro seems more interested in clothing, bass fishing tackle and boats. Cabellas has a better variety. I liked their fly fishing department better than Bass Pro. We rarely go to Bass Pro now.

Traveling to Glacier in 2011, 2012 and 2016 there is a small town in Nebraska, Oshkosh. There is a Cabellas warehouse in this small town. I'm wondering if those employees are worried about their future.

Kelvin
Old 10-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Don't forget Nevada. We're camped on the beach right now at Pyramid Lake north of Reno, fly fishing for humongous Lahontan Cutthroat - some of the biggest trout anywhere. Life is good! Count us in for a future rally!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Don't forget Nevada. We're camped on the beach right now at Pyramid Lake north of Reno, fly fishing for humongous Lahontan Cutthroat - some of the biggest trout anywhere. Life is good! Count us in for a future rally!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We should do a Pyramid Rally. I'm known to frequent the area...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	273269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	273270  

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	273271  
Breezinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow Breezing those are interesting seats. Are those regular ladders with seats mounted to them.

Hittenstiehl
Old 10-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
YES.... Pyramid Lake Ralley!