Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Take a Can of Soup and......

"Canned survival" on the road as I call it. A tin of soup can go a long way when it comes to versatility.

My toes curled when I first read this recipe for Tomato Soup Spaghetti Sauce, but it turned out to be pretty good. Only works if you have all the spices and Worchestershire in the trailer, but I think most travel with these basics.

You could add ground beef, but I like it as is. I also use the reduced-sodium tomato soup. (Make sure you use undiluted soup, right from the can.)

What do you like to do with a can of soup?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
PLEASE give me a break. Its dinner time and i'm losing my appetite. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
I don't us tomato soup all that much...

But you can make very good tomato soup with tomato juice, garlic, butter and a bit of corn starch.

My favorite simple spagetti sauce is a can of diced tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw it all in a frying pan and cook for about 20 minutes. It has to be cooked long enough for the sugars to develop in the tomatoes. Very simple - very good.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When my children were still at home, my cupboards always had tomato soup as well as cream of mushroom and cream of chicken.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese warmed many a cold tummy from playing outside in the snow.

A cream soup with noodles or rice, ground beef/chicken/turkey/tuna, frozen peas-----voila!! A hearty and economical supper.

Maggie
Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
PLEASE give me a break. Its dinner time and i'm losing my appetite. Sal
Are you coming to the Diamonds 'n Rivets rally? I'll make Tomato Soup Spaghetti - just for you!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
When my children were still at home, my cupboards always had tomato soup as well as cream of mushroom and cream of chicken.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese warmed many a cold tummy from playing outside in the snow.

A cream soup with noodles or rice, ground beef/chicken/turkey/tuna, frozen peas-----voila!! A hearty and economical supper.

Maggie
Maggie, memories, like the corner of my mind....

Mom would make what she called "hash" which was just that. Ground beef, onion, peas, with a can of cream of mushroom soup. I loved it as a kid...topped with lotsa lotsa ketchup.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
I don't us tomato soup all that much...

But you can make very good tomato soup with tomato juice, garlic, butter and a bit of corn starch.

My favorite simple spagetti sauce is a can of diced tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw it all in a frying pan and cook for about 20 minutes. It has to be cooked long enough for the sugars to develop in the tomatoes. Very simple - very good.
Max, hmmmmmmmmm....it might be fun to have a spaghetti-sauce cookoff at the rally. Would be a change from chili.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
While I appreciate the idea, making something from what you have on hand, I've never liked tomato soup. Didn't like it as a kid, really don't like it now.

I pretty much always have tomato sauce in the cupboard, though. I'm ready for spaghetti sauce or adding richness to stew all the time.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Max, hmmmmmmmmm....it might be fun to have a spaghetti-sauce cookoff at the rally. Would be a change from chili.
It certainly is a dish on which everybody has their own take...

We have at least 4 or 5 versions in our house depending on the mood and the amount of time required.

One of my favourites is from Heston Blumenthal: In Search of Perfection (book and TV series). But you need to commit a couple of days to complete all the steps. I don't make it very often. (Even less now that I have an Airstream )

Then we get into the subject of pasta...dried/fresh? Flour type? I've not yet figured out how to clamp down the pasta maker in the AS.

I'm feeling peckish!
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
ummmmmmmm
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Tomato soup & Grilled cheese. The best light meal for lunch or dinner especially on
a cold day.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
With a small Bambi, we don't have much room for cooking or food storage. However, having a hot meal in a hurry is often welcome. Usually I make things at home where I have all the kitchen space I need, then refrigerate or freeze them in two-person portions to take along.

For longer trips after the home-cooked food has been used up, a really basic soup would start with plain canned chicken broth and have at the ready either fresh cream or canned non-fat evaporated milk. This doesn't curdle.

Cream of Anything Soup
1. Finely cut up some onion or shallots and saute till tender in a little oil or butter in a saucepan.
2. Add any sort of well-mashed or pureed cooked vegetable, such as (but not limited to) potatoes, winter squash, broccoli, tomato puree, or carrots. Or try a can of cream-style corn.
3. Add enough chicken broth to make a very thick soup consistency. Add pinches of any compatible herbs or spices. Cook gently for a few minutes.
4. Lower heat and add enough cream or evaporated milk to give the soup a creamy look. Heat but do not boil. Salt to taste.
If you don't happen to have canned broth on hand, you can substitute milk, but just keep the heat low enough to prevent boiling.
5. Serve in bowls or mugs.

Julia Child's amazingly easy potato-leek soup
No fooling. No cans. From Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

1. Start with equal amounts of cut-up leeks (white/yellow part only) and peeled potatoes. You can substitute yellow onions for the leeks, but leeks are better. Add water just to cover in a saucepan and cook until very tender.
2. Mash up everything thoroughly. Add salt and optional butter to taste, and enough cream to get the consistency you want. Reheat if necessary.

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Soup, only when sick!

Hi, I'm not a soup person and always chose a salad over soup at restaurants. But when sick, it is either Chicken Noodle soup or Tomato soup with saltine crackers. The soup can says to add one can of water. For the Chicken noodle soup, I only add 1/2 can of water to it. For Tomato soup, I only add 1/2 can of milk. I don't like watery soups, I like them thick, more like a stew.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A box of Uncle Ben's Wild & Long Grain rice mix, cooked up or as leftovers, in cream of chicken soup makes a delicious chowder.

Add a bit of leftover turkey or chicken, some good bread, and you have dinner.

Maggie