Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Where would you live short term?

We are getting ready to list our house. Once it sells we plan to live in our 31' classic while we decide what to do next. Probably at least 4 months, maybe longer. Within 30 miles of our office we have the choice of the following:
1. KOA with full hookups but with the typical "squeezed up tight" sites. It's the most distant one. Security on site.
2. Another commercial CG with full hookups with larger sites but majority of campers right now are construction workers building the nearby TN River bridge. I don't have anything against these workers but they tend to exit in their diesels at dawn. No security of any kind.
3. A TVA run CG with amazing sites, sitting on the riverfront, excellent security, new bathhouse, but no sewer hookup (they honey wagon) and two weeks every December everyone has to leave the CG, with their campers, while TVA does maintenance.

They each have pros and cons. I'm wondering what features would bother me most after a while.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Is there a dump station in the TVA park? How much does the honey wagon cost? How often can/will they do it. Is it really a honey wagon? Last place I stayed at had "honey wagon", was really a small blue boy.
If you'll be there for 4 months you might consider buying a nice 40 gallon blue boy for yourself and do runs to the dump station as necessary. Many blue boy handles flip to go over hitch ball so you can move with vehicle.
Reserve a koa spot for the two weeks. Double check stay limits in the TVA park.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
TVA Campgrounds

Hi,
We stayed at a TVA Campground not far from Elizabethton, TN right on the Watauga River. We stayed a week and had a great time. It had water and electric, no sewer. It also had a newly renovated bathhouse. This TVA campground was run by RRM (Recreation Resource Management) and it was top notch. RRM runs several TVA campgrounds in Tennessee. The campground hosts were great. It was safe and everyone was friendly. The day we left RRM staff were there and were enlarging sites for better parking.
We didn't mind the no sewer because they had a dump station on site. We will definitely be going back.
We have also stayed at another TVA campground near Normandy, TN and found that facility to be excellent also.
Tom and Deborah
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Do you need phone or internet, check if they have a signal for your carrier? If it was me TVA next to the host site would be best.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
The CG is full of construction workers with diesel trucks, and you say there is no security of any kind?
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
It all depends on what you want. There is a pretty nice campground; I think it is called "Flying Eagle," just off I-40 at Buttermilk Road. I used to stay there when attending U of T football games. I would also check at the small campground behind Sloan's at the traffic light in Vonore. It is just a gravel lot, but it has full hookups and is quite reasonable. We stayed there for about four months while our home was being constructed. Several of our neighbors in our development did the same thing. It's not pretty, but is not far from Fort Loudon State Park, where we went to walk most days.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Gneiss, you're the second person who has mentioned Sloan's to me but I can't find any contact information for them. Are they also a grocery store?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Sloan's

KFRERE,

Sloan's is a combination grocery, hardware and filling station. The campground is not associated with them. It is simply a landmark to help you locate it. If you live in Lenoir City, you can check it out in about 25 minutes. Take 321 across the dam, take 444 through The Village to 72, hang a left and go to 411. Turn left on 411 and Sloan's will be on the right in about a mile and a half. Go just past Sloan's and you will see the campground. If this isn't clear, email me at rcolem@bellsouth.net.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote