Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Why more than one ?

Hi the community;
I've seen that a lot of Airstream owners have more than ONE Airstream ...
What do you do with your airstreams to get more than one...
i understand one for holydays ( as me) but the others ? May be for the tools in the garden, for renting to students, for each locations where you go, one for each continent, one vintage for the fun and a new one for the travel security... explain me.

Thank you by advance.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Bruno,

We never set out to have two Airstreams. I was perfectly happy with one, but one day last summer, I saw a little Caravel with a "For Sale" sign, sitting along the side of the road, and we had to save it! Our original intention was to fix it up and sell it, but over the course of our time working on it, we bonded, and I can't see parting with it at this time. Once it's complete, we'll switch off camping in that and our Safari. We even bought a second tow vehicle so the Caravel could have it's own. We'll have to stop at two, at least for now, because we're really out of room!

By the way, I would never store garden tools in either trailer! And I would have a hard time renting either one to anyone.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Bruno,

if I would live in the US and would have the money to afford more than one Airstream, I would have a whole bunch off them... Why? Because there are so many little aulninium shells that need to be safed from a back yard, where they sit for years and rot...
How about a Webside or a new forumssection called "save an Airstream" where people can post pics and locations of trailers that need to be rescued, even the Owners don´t want to sell it now... Maybe they will in some months or even years, would it be nice to know where these trailers sit in high grass and rust??

Ok, bad ideas off now...

See you!

BJoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
For me, it's an addiction. I currently own only one, but I have written a letter to a stranger, who simply MUST sell me their late 50s/early 60s AS (and not think me a stalker).

And even my husband (who thinks I'm nuts) asked someone if he'd sell his 60s caravel(?) - turns out it belongs to the guy's son... he'll get back to us if his son decides to purge .
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Okay, I guess it's just that having one of anything just seem as though it's never enough. Sort of like being an underachiever. I've sold my Silver Streak so will add another Airstream to the family as soon as I find the right one. Can you ever have too much? Well I guess maybe if room is a limiting factor, but then you just go buy a bigger place, or that's what I did. Great logic to me at least. Perhaps a bit less so for my wife. It's like hotrods - if one is good then two must be better and more than that must be outstanding. For the moment I'm back to two but again it's only because the right next addition hasn't found it's way into my shop yet. Is this a sickness? How can it be when it gives us so much pleasure, keeps me out of trouble (well, except for with my wife sometimes), and we are saving a bit of Americana at the same time. As for using one for other purposes I've thought about converting a real dawg into a car hauler but then sanity kicked in. As for renting or loaning one out - not something I could do. Now if I happened to be driving down the road and saw a Caravel with a for sale sign on it I'd likely have to drag it home. Same goes for a Bambi, Caravaner, Excella, or pretty much anything with Airstream on it that wasn't a total disaster, and the older the better. Does any of this make sense? To me it's a great way to live.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
We have the little guy, "Blimpy" (Globetrotter), for weekend camping getaways and our big 'ting, "'Stella" (the Excella), is going to be parked for long periods as a "vacation cottage" after:

1. We do a re-model on the interior.
2. We find the right location.

Craig
audiobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
One for Washing
One for Wearing

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
It's a hobby. I love to restore things and have done several other projects. We had 4, sold one. Have one for parts. The other 2, one (the Peanut 20') is for weekend get aways, and for the in-laws or son and new bride to use (daughter does not show much interest yet) the last (until I find another one) is our pride and joy. Check out my website, that may lend a clue...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
Addiction

I'm addicted to these vintage AS. If I had more space, I would buy another one. I'm hoping to move out to the country in 2 years so I can have a barn to store my MG, 2 Tow Vehicles, AS and Shasta.

Who needs a barn for animals???
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have two because some one gave me the second one to get it out of their yard. I guess the local zoning/HOA didn't appreciate the finer things in life If I didn't take it they were going to have to scrap it. They tried to sell it and didn't get a single offer. Eventually it will either end up as a rolling show room for my wife's Formal Wear business or with a full custom interior along the lines of what Bjorn is planning. My first one (75) is going to get a restoration/renovation and get used for on the road housing when I am working out of town and for general travel. I would like to get a similar vintage Tradewind for the traveling camping part...but no one has given me one yet

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I rescued the 63 off the side of the road after the owner was told by building and zoning to scrap it for aluminum. I could not have that. I was trying to buy another TV from the Blue Beret when he said he wanted to sell the pair instead of only the TV. His price was good enough, I told him to keep it attached.

Many snowbirders keep a larger trailer in the South permanently on an Airstream lot and not have to bother dragging it down and back every year but want a smaller caravaning unit for summer travels when they get back north. Traveler's Rest has alot of 34 footer left on the lots. The rent for the whole year used to be only $1500. Some people brought their small ones with them and kept them in storage on the property cheap and then had them pulled out and put on "the hill" (temporary area) for the kids to use when they came down to visit over Chistmas.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I dunno, I always have to grow the most tomatoes & tallest sunflowers too ...
Old 10-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Me too

Count me in as a 2-trailer owner, Bruno. I just bought a nice ’67 Tradewind last week. It was for sale locally by a private owner and the price was just too good to walk away from.
I guess it’s an addiction for me too, but I actually enjoy tinkering with these old buckets….glutton for punishment. I wasn’t really looking for another trailer when I bought the TW, it sort of found me.
The hard part for me will come next Spring when I have to decide which trailer to keep and which to sell. I can’t keep both. In the meantime, I’ll just enjoy both of them where they sit and daydream about next camping season.
My name is Roger and I’m an Airstreamoholic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 TW 027.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	27141   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 TW 018.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	27142  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Think that it's the same as with vintage cars.
First you have one .
Than you get interested in a other one.
So you have two.
Than the problem starts they seem to breed or so , before you know you have a whole family of them.
I started with one classic car.
Wife also wanted a classic , that's two.
It are old cars so they may break down , so you need a spare .
But one spare is not enough incase both first cars brake down.
So you get a other spare.
And to be sure one more incase any of the spare cars brake down.
That's how we got our 5 vintage USA build cars.
I almost forgot our not vintage USA car incase nothing else works.
Think that it is the same with airstream's
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
More than one....

It is an addiction which no real Airstream lover can ever get past. We have a wonderful new Safari and currently I am looking for two older Airstreams. One for us to restore and one for my brother. While we were traveling back from Yellowstone last month we saw way too many forgotten Airstream in fields. If we weren't towing one behind us you could be sure we would be knocking on doors. Finding restorable vintage Airstreams in New England isn't always easy. But one is just not enough!

PS: If any of my fellow AS'ers find or know of one that needs rescue in NE please let me know.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #16
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hi Rick, good thing you weren't looking in August, in your own backyard.

I beat you to it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanks.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	27147  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #17
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, I sort of bought an Argosy in 1992. Then I sort of bought an Excella last year (and drove 1,000 miles to go get it).

Then I did some poking around in the Argosy and found some stuff needing work. So, instead of selling it, which was my original intention, I've decided to keep it and repair it.

I find myself walking around it thinking about taking it camping. It SURE DOES tow nicely and it SURE DOES have a nice-looking shell. It actually has far fewer miles on it than my Excella.

So this is a bit of a non-answer. I have two because I had one and got another one. I upgraded.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #18
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Finally, i wonder if that 'll be a great solution for me to get another one; the one i own as my second house in FRANCE and another one for the USA... As I plan to get more and more time, each year, in your fabulous country, why not to buy an another vintage airstream that stay there and that'll be my second house in US....
HUMMM .....

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Bruno,

go for it! That is what we consider too, as soon as we can afford a second TT and TV for the USA/Canada...

Stefanie and Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One Airstream is too many, and two is not enough.