Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Summerizing The Airstream

Well...My free time is about over.Febuary is my last month of freedom before I go back to work everyday for 8 months.So I am wondering for the very tiny few who actually dont really travel during the summer what do you do to summerize the Airstream.I mean...Should I run the water through the tanks at least once a month to keep the tanks a little fresh from all the heat we get.(I live in florida now.)
should leaving the roof vents open to air it out every now and then be good.I just dont wont to come back to a hot musty Airstream when november hits and I get my free time again.It still gets hot in november.It was running around 70 to 75 degrees almost all winter this year.I never got to really wear my winter clothes.
What about pulling the trailer once every one or two month to get the bearing grease moving in the hubs.I am going to have to change the grease here soon for the first time in a couple more months.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Well...My free time is about over.Febuary is my last month of freedom before I go back to work everyday for 8 months.So I am wondering for the very tiny few who actually dont really travel during the summer what do you do to summerize the Airstream.I mean...Should I run the water through the tanks at least once a month to keep the tanks a little fresh from all the heat we get.(I live in florida now.)
should leaving the roof vents open to air it out every now and then be good.I just dont wont to come back to a hot musty Airstream when november hits and I get my free time again.It still gets hot in november.It was running around 70 to 75 degrees almost all winter this year.I never got to really wear my winter clothes.
What about pulling the trailer once every one or two month to get the bearing grease moving in the hubs.I am going to have to change the grease here soon for the first time in a couple more months.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
I don't think you need to move the trailer to keep the grease on the bearings.
Might be a good idea to take some weight off the tires, to keep them from flat spotting, and also help the axle rubber.
I would make sure tehre's good ventilation. Use a dehumidifier if it gets really moist where you are.
Also, I usually keep a few gallons of clean water with a deodorizer in each of the tanks, but I do drain the fresh water tank completely. I had some fresh water go stale once in my trailer, and it took a while to get the odor out. I used Airstream's tank disinfection procedure, as it is found on their website's faq section.
A shady parking spot might be a nice treat for your trailer, shaded or indoor parking makes a world of difference. Many advise against covers, though.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Tires

Would it be ok to set the trailer on jack stands.I would just jack it up to where the Airstream moves up just a bit and the tires would still be on the ground using its own weight then.Also I would leave the stabilizers down also.I have plans on purchasing covers for the tires and for the A/C unit.Tell me if this is good or bad to do.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If you can get it out for 20 or 30 miles every month you will take care of a lot of problems. Sitting and collecting condensation is what gets to the bearings. The batteries need to be kept properly charged and bumped a bit to keep things circulating. The trailer needs good ventilation.

But, if it needs to sit, I'd drain all the water and waste systems, including the hot water heater, and leave the valves open. Keep vents cracked and a window on each end for thorough ventilation (watch for leaks). Put a decent battery maintainer on the battery. Leave the fridge door ajar, disconnect the battery from the house so alarms and such things won't drain it.

The advice against covers is good - they rub against the sides and leave marks. Shade can be a problem because of what drips off the shade giving device. But a pole barn would be very nice to help keep the sun off things and interior temperatures cooler.

Nearly everything on the RV will work better and last longer if it is regularly exercised. Get out to monthly rallies, even if only weekend rallies!
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Would it be ok to set the trailer on jack stands.I would just jack it up to where the Airstream moves up just a bit and the tires would still be on the ground using its own weight then.Also I would leave the stabilizers down also.I have plans on purchasing covers for the tires and for the A/C unit.Tell me if this is good or bad to do.Thanks.
Bryan made a good point for the batteries. Do you store near your home or at an RV storage lot?
If you put the A/S on jack stands, then there are specific areas on the frame where you can put them. There used to be red arrows indicating teh lift points. Usually right behind the axle mounting plate. Covers for tires and A/C seem like a good idea to me. Look through your owner's manual, or call Airstream for advice, if in doubt.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Quote:
Well... I go back to work everyday for 8 months ...
Can you use four-letter-words in this Forum??

Shade ... anything to keep the direct sun off! Even with the roof vents open, the inside temp will approach 115+F closed up. (Good ole Florida in the summer!)

If you have 110VAC power, then DEFINITELY use a DEHUMIDIFIER! If you are unable to empty the catch pan on a regular schedule, then set it up to drain directly into the sink and allow it to collect in the grey water tank. Use a direct connection to the unit and not your shoreline.

Either remove the battery, or if the 110VAC is there you could plug in a battery tender.

I put some chlorine bleach in the water tank for long summer lay-ups and just flush it a few times before going on the road. (I never drink this water anyway)

Tire covers – YES! Keep the sun away. One can only assume that weight removed from the tires will not do any damage ... baby the axle ?? your call, not for me. In addition, if I want to get-out-of-town in a hurry, like in front of a hurricane, I don’t want unnecessary procedures to bother with.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi devoman and others......

years ago i put my unit in summers storage once....and there are some issues.

1. absolutely not one scrap or crub of food......none....anywhere. this includes drink powders, canned goods/dry goods, condiments, spices......everything.............
ok, it's fine to leave cayenne peppers or table salt/pepper but nothing else!

2. clean the holding tanks and then leave them full of water or empty. i prefer full (every thank) but either way, DO NOT add or leave chlorine bleach in any of the tanks. no no no no no no no........

3. if power is available add an electric dehumidifier and drain it some where to the outside but not near the tires, or under the trailer........this can be a real problem because the drain hose needs to be large enough to carry water/not plug but small enough to avoid critters....

4. do not leave the stabilizer jacks down.......no need, they will rust, critters will crawl up them....and so on.

5. there is a thread here on 'jacking up an airstream' that shows where/how to place jacks...i didn't do this but would now.

6. if not plugged into electricity, take out the batteries and crack the roof vents and one window...like over the sink, for ventilation and to reduce chance of mold growth inside.

7. remove all batteries, chemical bottles, cleaners, soap bottles, shampoo and really any container with liquids inside. also all medications eye care stuff and so on. take out all electronic gadgets/appliance that can be easily removed.

8. cover the tires, cover the tongue and tanks.

9. find indoor or covered outdoor storage but if not climate controlled still do everything listed above...clean inspect the storage spot and make sure it's free of water, chemicals, ant colonies and weeds that can grow up into the trailer.......even if gravel or rock.....

10. go through all the outside storage areas and remove stuff just like inside....do chemicals, liquids or 'reactive' products.

11. buy some cheap cotton sheets, wash 'em, then cover everything inside (sofa, dinette, counters, bed, and so on..

12. prop open fridge/freeze and raise matress onto a vented platform (make on from empy soda cans linked together with rope/cord. don't use cardboard boxes.

13. apply silicone to every window, door seal and all gaskets that can be reached.

14. place 4-6 boxes or plastic dishes of baking soda around inside....

15. get some aluminum wool or plastic pads (3m style) and plug every outside opening that will accomidate plugging....

16. air up tires and place on none reative surface (wood, ramps, levelers) and make sure they stay dry. i also apply tire dressing.....but that's a whole 'nother thread......

17. put a non porus block (rubber/plactic/metal) under the tongue jack....

18. consider foil insulation or some other sun block for windows and store with the curtains up/open.

19. put naptha (moth balls) or natural cedar in every closet/drawer....

20. if you absolutely must put something in the holding tanks........add 1/2 cup baking soda per 10 gallons of water......but don't leave enzyme products, or any chlorine containing fresheners or formaldehyde or cleaning products in the tanks.......

just a short list of things......

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote