Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Scrapbook Trailer

HI.

We've just purchased a 65 Tradewind in fairly good condition. We are planning on converting it into a 'work room' for my scrapbooking supplies, which are talking over our livingroom. Some parts will stay the same - the couch, the upper cupbords, wardrobe (with shelves added). Some will change - the side bed/couch will be removed and tabels added, the appliances and bathroom are coming out to make room for scrapbook suplies. I'm not planning on storing the finished books in the TW but do plan on storing supplies and doing the scrapbook assembly in the TW.

Any thoughts or comments on this option and use of an A/S?

MGB

65TWscrapbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

My Opinion

Yep I will comment.

I think you are making a huge mistake.

Your model size and year is one of the most popular and most sought after I believe. I think using it as you please is fine, but gutting the kitch and bathroom is not at all wise. A little work and you should be able to get 10grand for the trailer.

You can probably pick up a 31 foot sovereign for less that 3000 dollars if you look around. Now that is the model you should gut and you of course will have more work and storage room to boot.. The 25 ft and unders are most desirable and worth a whole lot more than the 29-31s in many cases.

The 27 ft trailers (Overlanders) are in a class by themselves and are also in the more desirable catagory.

Dont do it!!!
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Smile Wait a minute

To Roadeo - I beg to differ with your comment on gutting the Sovereign. I'm a new owner of a 67 and new to this forum. We were looking for a "retirement home" with space and that's what we got. It may not be the most collectible of the litter, but all Airstreams deserve a bit of tender loving care. By the way, the previous owners of ours had 8 kids and 3 dogs. It was "loved" alot. It has some problems, but that's half the fun. And it has more inside storage area than any 5th wheels we looked at. By the way, does anyone out there know the best way to repair a broken "rafter"? Large person - air conditioner replacement - you get the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadeo
Yep I will comment.

I think you are making a huge mistake.

Your model size and year is one of the most popular and most sought after I believe. I think using it as you please is fine, but gutting the kitch and bathroom is not at all wise. A little work and you should be able to get 10grand for the trailer.

You can probably pick up a 31 foot sovereign for less that 3000 dollars if you look around. Now that is the model you should gut and you of course will have more work and storage room to boot.. The 25 ft and unders are most desirable and worth a whole lot more than the 29-31s in many cases.

The 27 ft trailers (Overlanders) are in a class by themselves and are also in the more desirable catagory.

Dont do it!!!
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
roadeo doesn't know what he's talking about ...

... anymore than does my mexican landscaper when he wonders why i harvest my honey in fall--doesn't make sense to a mexican beekeeper.

You can use your trailer as a pig farm if you like, or grow lettuce in long tubes

OR just redo the inside the way that feels comfortable. Very few of us are wandering around in something period but ghastly,

they're ALL desirable but they'll often in quite a derelict state.

y
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I say do what you want with your trailer. People use them as studios, guest houses, pool cabanas... and now scrapbook trailers. Cool. Make sure you post pictures. We all love to see what you are doing!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 06:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Weight- the upper lockers are attached only to the skin, be careful what you store there. Overall weight of what you store also, you are removing some items (keep them, they will be valuable if you sell the trailer), but these don't have a huge weight capacity, many this age are beginning to show some damage from time.
Leaks- make sure you don't have any, they could get really nasty with a lot of organic material to absorb water.
Mice- they will love what you are doing, there are a lot of ways for them to get in and places to hide.
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Enjoy your trailer anyway you like.

But I don't think what you are doing makes sense. Why get something
with wheels and a bathroom , if you aren't going anywhere and don't want to get wet. A coffee pot makes a horrible baseball bat.
I would keep the trailer as a trailer, and get a tool shed with an electric heater and an air conditioner, to use as a hobby hut.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Oh my.
I thought 65TWscrapbooker asked for opinions.
If they are like me they will appreciate honest ones.
I have no earthly idea what Airstream economies have to do with Mexican Landscapers and Beekeepers, unless Summerkid is hiding his/her's out in one.

With closer examination you might have seen that I state that I agree an owner can do any thing they please with anything they own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadeo
"I think using it as you please is fine,"
I was giving an opinion based on fact. Whether that opinion has any leverage with the scrapbook folks is entirely up to them and may depend among other things on their opinion of the value of their dollars and their time.

Fact is that 25 ft and smaller are much more desirable and thus more valuable, and more rare on the market and thus more valuable.
Fact is that (for whatever the reason) the 60 era trailers are quite desirable and thus that can be a value added feature.
Fact is the Sovereigns and Ambassadors are often found (usually 70 era) for less than $4000, and more than occasionally for less than$3000.

To silver67, congrats on your trailer. I too own (actually my girl friend owns) a big one (Ambassador 29'). So don't take umbrage at my comments.
The "afterglow" is still available to anyone in possession of one of the silver subs no matter the model.
As for your "rafter" which is most likely a Bow(rib)(runs crosswise) or a Stringer(runs lengthwise). It would be surprising if a person, even a big guy, would damage one of the bows from standing on the roof IMHO. You might bend a stringer more easily. you can certainly bend the roof where no bow supports the weight. Give more detail or post a picture and you'll find lots of advice.

As for scrapbooking my girlfriend is exploring getting involved in that herself. Anything to get out of helping me work on HER trailer.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree, a 67 Tradewind in pretty good shape is worth too much money to turn into a hobby room. Gutting the kitchen especially would be a mistake, which you might regret when it's time to sell it down the line. Could you perhaps preserve the kitchen by placing a faux countertop on it and using it that way? I definitly wouldn't touch the bathroom. Basically, you go from a functional travel trailer, worth something close to $10k in working condition, to a modified shell worth a few hundred if you can find someone to take it off your hands.

I wouldn't mind if it was a 30 footer (which is much more common and not worth as much), or a 70s model with tambour doors and plasticy veneers, etc. But I just love the old vintage trailers, with their wood cabinets. Tradewinds are a very popular size, and sought after. I'd hate to see one turned into an empty shell and permanently moored in dry dock.

But it's your trailer. You can do whatever you want. I guess we probably weren't the right crowd to ask what we think about you gutting a classic trailer People do it all the time to make them into offices, pool rooms, hot dog stands, etc. But if I was going to do that, I'd rather start with one that was already gutted, than one that was close to complete.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Scrapbooker

I am a rubber stamper so I can feel your need of a workroom. However it seems such a waste to use an Airstream for the project. It is so much fun to travel in an Airstream, especially to WBCCI rallies. You meet such wonderful people and make friends for life. You might even meet other scrapbookers.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Dear 65TWScrapbooker,

Are you sure you want to use a trailer for storing your scrapbooking supplies? I notice you are in Des Moines--which gets mighty cold in the winter. You really won't be able to use it comfortably for at least half of the year. Even with a heater, it won't get very warm inside. Also, the interiors of trailers tend to get damp (or wet, if there's a leak!) and may attract rodents--all factors that make it really inappropriate for storing paper supplies and photos (they will end up stuck together). Also, even gutted, you're going to have a hard time finding places to store materials (and it's really a cursed situation to build rounded storage units). I just can't think of a worse place for scrapbooking--your basement would be better (even with the high humidity).

Why not consider selling it and using the proceeds to start a fund for building an addition? Other better possibilities might be a garage conversion, etc. You could probably make do with a smaller space, since you would gain considerably in vertical storage--and you'd have a perfect scrapbooking environment! Your treasures deserve a better home that you can work in year-round!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:44 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Hi all,
Thanks for your input, we're still looking at opitons. If I had a basemnt, spare room, could add on now or had a garage, those would all be options that we would use. We are very excited to have an Airstream and, even if we do convert parts of, it will still be used as a trailer when we go camping, which is not very offten. My scrapbooks will not be stored in the trailer, just the suplies I use to make the books, and the table sapce needed to spread things out a bit. Again, thanks. MGB
65TWscrapbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

I would save the Airstream

Airstreams are the only trailer out there that appreciate in value. This is of course as long as you keep it in good maintance and near its orignal state.

You can always pick up an old camper (SOB) to suit your needs and you will probably not pay too much. Stripping it out for your scrapbooking will not cause you to lose a value as in the case of stripping the Airstream.

If you can't find an old camper (SOB) then I bet that there is someone on this board that can and they may even trade you kicking in a little cash.

In the end it is your choice and this being a borad for Airstreamers I guess our opinions will remain to keep it as orignal as you can.

If I were in you position and decided to go ahead with the stripping of the Airstream I think that I would save the parts that I took out just in case I ever get the flare to replace them....................

2 cents added.......

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote