Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
You can also join the Wally Byam Airstream Club (http://wbcci.org/). Affiliate with a local Unit and you will find experienced Airstreamer's willing to help you answer your questions.
Plus you will have fine group of people to camp with.
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
Get or make yourself a checklist to use when you are setting up camp and, especially, before departure. Put everything on the checklist and use it every time. When you are new to this stuff, there are so many things that need be done that it's easy to miss something critical.
CHECKLIST, CHECKLIST, CHECKLIST!
One to load the trailer, one BEFORE you move off, one to set up, one to break camp.
Get used to it; the dynamics of using the RV will tell you what you need to write down. Use them and you will generally stay out of trouble.
If it's good enough for Aviators, it's good enough for us.

Trailer Trash waiting for Spring.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We were all newbies once and all have stories to now laugh about. There is nothing that you can do that hasn't happened to others.
Best advice I can give is enjoy the adventure.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
If the new Jeep does not come with a factory installed brake control you will need one. It should be plug and play. Wiring harnesses/connection is located under the dash close to the steering wheel.
Thanks Michael. We just got our new Jeep today, and the dealer told us that Jeep does not make a trailer brake assist so we will need to get an after-market one. Do you have any suggestions? I was not even aware there was such a thing until I read your post - so thank you! :-)
Diocletian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Newbie Advice (Tow Hitch/Towing/Other Essentials)?

When I bought my AS, the dealer also sold me and installed the weight distribution hitch and trailer brake controller. They have worked fine ever since. While there are no doubt other alternatives I could have considered, I didn't know any more than you did at the time, and so probably could not have made an intelligent choice. Also, getting everything from one place meant there was only one place I needed to go to get everything explained, repaired, and replaced if necessary, which thankfully it wasn't. Hopefully it also meant that the dealer, at least, thought it was all compatible with my new trailer.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #26
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
More than once, we get out the smartphone, set the map to satellite, and look at the store, gas station, etc, in advance of arrival. This allows some advance planning for getting in, as well as an exit strategy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
More than once, we get out the smartphone, set the map to satellite, and look at the store, gas station, etc, in advance of arrival. This allows some advance planning for getting in, as well as an exit strategy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
This. It's important to know how you and your trailer will exit a parking lot or fuel station before you pull in. With the base camp, you have more leeway than with a 30 footer, but still you'll want to know you can get out easily before pulling in.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote