Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Battery weeping outa the compartments

Why do you guys/girls think that my batteries are "weeping"? Am getting some sorta moisture on the outside of the TT...have two compartments- left and right--both the same stuff.

Are the "boiling"? Do I hava univolt prob? this thing is new....it had the same stains when I bought it. I cleaned . It is continuing. The TT is in storage....no charging going on.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've seen condensation on batteries due to the liquid inside the battery being colder than the warmer ambient temps. That is not really a problem, BUT, if you have visible corrosion from leaks from the caps, that is not a good sign at all. That should not be happening. Remember, that a good 12v batt is the equiv of a few sticks of dynamite.

If you can't find the source, I'd take it someplace and have it all checked out.

Just my .02

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hey twink, thanks for replying....it is mostly cosmetic I think. But do wonder why....

The unit is/was new and it had that on the outside when we first saw it. I cleaned. Does it again....

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:23 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Your unit is pretty new to be having a univolt issue. I am not sure you even have a univolt on that new of a unit.

Condensation seems like the most likely to me. In Tucson, if the days are hot and the nights chilly, that could be what is causing it.

Here is a test to see where the water is coming from if the batt is in an enclosure:

Take some paper towel and tape some small pieces to the top and the sides. Let it sit and whatever part get wet, you have a clear direction. You could even use some Crayola markers or perhaps even chaulk to mark the batt in various spots to see which runs or get washed away. The trick is to monitor it every few hours so that a leak or condensation in one spot is not allowed to travel too far without being noticed.

If none are noticed in those spots, maybe there is a leak in the bottom or condensation from the bottom?? Any leak of the insides is bad, but if it is just condensation, you can get one of those battery blankets that can be placed underneath or there are some that insulate the sides. This usually protects the batt in cold temps and keeps some of the heat from getting in on hot days.

Just a thought.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Just another thought in line with Eric's.........

Dry out you battery compartment and battery(s) best you can with a hair dryer or the blower end of a vacuum. Then "dust" the compartment and batteries with talcum powder, flour, baking powder or what have you. Take a peek every 10 min or so and you should notice the source.

It always worked for oil leaks.
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote