Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2003, 05:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Battery Exploded

I used to take my battery out and put it in the garage in the Winter because I read that one should do that. I put the battery on a Schumacher 2 amp automatic charger that was not supposed to overcharge but I would usually disconnect the charger after about 24 hours. I had to make an emergency trip away from home one time and left the charger on the battery for about a week. While I was gone the battery exploded. Small pieces were scattered all over my garage and battery acid damaged some of the things I had in the garage. This past Winter I just left the battery in the a/s. I have a few questions and would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Can anyone recommend a charger that I can connect to my battery that will keep the battery charged but will not cause it to explode?
Is it important to remove a battery during the winter and keep it in a warm place? (I haven't had one to freeze in NC yet.)
I have read in some threads where "battery minder" is mentioned. Is a battery minder a special charger that is used to keep a battery charged when not in use?
Thanks for your help.

Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I use the BatteryMinder and it will maintain the battery over long periods without overcharging. I am attaching a link to the website, you can purchase at Camping World or most battery dealers.

[URL=http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder.htm]
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wayne,

That is horrible. I have yet to see one go, but I hear they are as powerful as a stick or two of dynamite.

Deep cycle batteries are a bit different beast than conventional batteries.

It has been suggested that the battery should be kept at room temp unless it is actively being used. I store mine in the basement or the laundry room in an container. So far no boom, but if it does, my laundry room is toast.

Anyway, if your not using it, store it at room temp. In the summer check the water level often.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Saw it happen a couple of times.....

I saw a fat kid sit on the hood of a Datsun pickup and short the battery terminals. It when BOOM! When we opened the hood, the battery was cracked down the middle. Another time, my bro-in-law hooded up jumper cables backwards and the battery split in two.

I bought a battery minder like charger from Interstate, for about half the cost, but it does not have the desulfation mode. I do have two other chargers that will do that, if needed. I took my battery inside when it got below 20.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

When a battery is being charged it gives off hydrogen gas which is very expolsive. Always charge batteries in a well ventilated space and avoid any sparks. At the end of the season I charge all the batteries and store them in a safe place where they won't freeze. In the spring I bring them out ,clean the terminals, check the water in the cells (use distilled water) and charge them in the garage with the door open. Then I check for dead cells with a hydrometer. Its also a good idea to clean them with baking soda and water. My wife gets a little irritated when I burn a hole in a brand new pair of levis. LOL
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Sounds like the battery charger had a failure. Most 2 amp chargers just go to a trickel charge once the battery is fully charged and just maintain.

I know you should winter your battery over in a location that won't freeze but I use my boat year round and leave all three batteries in the boat year round and have never have had a problem. I do make sure I charge them as soon as I come home and then just leave them till next time. A fully charged battery should not freeze but a discharged battery can freeze.
When I lived in NC I also left the battery in the boat year round with no problems.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Long time battery storage

An old farmer gave me some great advice for keeping a battery charged with out any risk and is always ready. Allow battery to remain in vehicle where used. Disconnect one battery cable. Use a 10 amp battery changer that is connected to a 24 hour time clock. Set clock to only charge battery in the daylite hours. The battery will not boil and is ready to work.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:05 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I appreciate the replies. Next Winter I will probably purchase the BatteryMinder and put the battery back in the garage. If the information on the web site is correct it will probably pay for itself. I think I will always be a little scared of leaving any kind of charger connected to the battery for a long period of time. I may make some kind of ventilated enclosure for it just in case. The charger I was using probably did have a short or something because there was nothing else in my garage that would have caused a spark to ignite fumes.
Thanks to all.

Wayne
Old 05-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

So what happened to the fat kid?
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:07 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
I would imagine that he accomplished two of his three goals... fat and dumb, but not happy.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
useless information--
I used to have 1959 Corvette convertible. Sharp ride!! They are known for bad grounds and such in the elctrical system.

Mine had shorted somewhere, and the battery overcharged while I was driving and blew through the hood of the vette.

I will always remember that experience!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
BatteryMinder

Check out www.batterymart.com for the batteryminder. This site seemed to have a better price than most others when I researched the topic and purchased mine 2 yrs. ago. My 2 Delco Voyager batteries have been on the BatteryMinder for 2 yrs. now without removing the batteries from the trailer during the winter and leaving it hooked up 24 hrs. per day, 7 days a week.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Craig,
Thanks for the info. You saved me a few bucks - they do have a good price.
Wayne
Old 05-09-2003, 04:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
You are more than welcome. It just gives you more gas money to enjoy RVing.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to JeffandSuzanne
We have had a problem with a small drain on our batteries while "The Mary Rose" (our 1998 30' Excella) is inactive with the cutoff switch in the off position. Methinks it might be the propane leak detector being hardwired to the 12v system. Anyhow, we bought a small solar "battery minder" from Camping World for about $25. I can't remember what it was called, but the CW catalog shows it sitting on a car dash, plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. I connected it to the battery terminals and even after a couple of months of sitting idle, the batteries are always at 100% when we head out. IMHO, a good investment!
Old 05-11-2003, 08:43 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by ALANSD
useless information--
I used to have 1959 Corvette convertible. Sharp ride!! They are known for bad grounds and such in the elctrical system.

Mine had shorted somewhere, and the battery overcharged while I was driving and blew through the hood of the vette.

I will always remember that experience!!
That one takes the cake. I am not sure how I would have reacted. Not something you see frequently. Glad you are OK!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote