Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Argosy 26 project

I had previously posted this inquiry a couple of months ago in the Argosy trailer forum and recieved zero responses so I figured I would post it here and hope for a better result. I am adding a couple of more questions to my origonal post. This forum contains so much valuable information and and insight and thanks in advance to any that respond to my inquiries.

I recently aquired a 1976 Argosy 26 from my parents that they had purchased secondhand in 1978. Funny thing is they had offered it to me about 5 years ago and I turned them down and bought a newer SOB trailer. My brother instead took (neglected) it and did not do much with it. He had to move out of state for his job and asked me to sell it for him. I had not seen it in a few years and I was showing it to a prospective buyer when I remembered how cool this thing is. I guess I am getting old and nostalgic. Long story short, I am in deep.

Anyway, to the question at hand. The air conditioning unit on this trailer is origonal and broken. I would like to remove it in favor of a Fantastic fan. I am seeing that they are offered in both flat and curved versions for the interior trim. The Armstrong unit looks to be curved on the ceiling but I recall a previous post stating the curved version was not correct. To further confuse matters, the forward vent area appears to almost flat compared to the rear one. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

Secondly , I found a few soft spots in the wood flooring and have taken up a section. What I found was on top 1/2 inch plywood , next a thin layer of aluminum followed by a layer of insulation. I have been lurking the forums on floor replacement and have not seen much mention of the aluminum being put in when rebuilding the floor. Is it needed ?? Was this an Argosy experiment that was later dropped ? Also any advice on insulation to put back in the floor area. Mine was pretty nasty and wound up trashing it all. I will attatch some pictures at a later date. This thing is pretty much origonal . Avacado green counters , herculon gaucho cover all stock appliances and even a Univolt that humms but does not put out any power !!
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hello Argosy Heir,

The old Armstrong AC units were well made and it maybe worth having a tech take a look at yours to see if it is worth repairing. That being said, the folks at Fantastic Fan are very knowledgeable and should be able to assist you in selecting one of their products for your application.

FanTastic Vent - Contact Us

The Argosy brand was a test platform for Airstream and design ideas were often introduced to through them. Here are some threads that discuss Airstream's use of aluminum composite flooring in the Argosy line that may offer some information.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...aluminum+floor

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...aluminum+floor

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...aluminum+floor

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Thanks for the information. I was able to spend some more time on the project today and discovered that the thin layer of aluminum was only at the very front area of the trailer. Maybe in anticipation of a spare tire carrier option ? Also there was a small area in front of the entrance door that also had a portion of aluminum sheeting right above the step area. Any way I am in the process of replacing a couple of sections of rotted floor in the front area and have the fridge out along with the old furnace. I know I need to replace the furnace as I understand that these were dangerous units. I am led to believe that the fridge works although I am unable to test it at the moment. Any reason to save it or should I resign myself to buying a replacement ? Thanks for all the help !!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
RV refrigerators aren't cheap. If it works I'd keep it and use the money to fund other renovation efforts. As for the furnace...There are many members here with older units that still work and they are happy with them. We choose to ditch ours and use the new open space for additional storage.

Regards,

Kevin.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Thanks for the info. I will test out the unit this weekend. Any idea if replacement parts are still available ? Some of the hinge bushings are worn and I am missing the ignitor assembly at the bottom of the fridge control panels.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Pictures of the time capsule.

Condition of trailer when I took it over. As the pics show the front and rear end caps needed to be stripped and primed and the whole unit needs some body work and paint. All in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010362.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	106458   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010377.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	106459  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010381.jpg