Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

A Pilgrim at the RV Show.

We went to the local RV show today. We find that a yearly visit inoculates us against any desire to buy a new one - especially since there are no Airstream dealers there.

One the way out there I was reflecting on how much I like our ‘85 Sovereign. Granted, this is in large measure due to the many changes I have made to make it fit our needs and habits. But even so, the basic design works so, so well.

I am always struck by the many compromises forced upon the builders as they juggle space requirements, weight restrictions, luxuries vs. necessities, and quality vs. cost. The market for a light, strong, durable, spacious, low maintenance, inexpensive, easy to tow coach with lots of storage and amenities appears to remain yet untapped.

TV inflation seems to be the RV equivalent of the great cupholder race in the automotive world. There appears to be a fear that someone will be somewhere in or around their coach and not be able to see a television. I saw one motorhome with four: two in the front lounge, one in the bedroom, and one in a full entertainment center in the basement storage. This does not count, of course, the rear-view tv monitor in the dash. The most discussed issue I heard among the attendees was satellite television.

It also often amazes me how light, open, and airy some trailers are compared to our Airstream. That is, until I start to look for where we could store things. What is the point of having a coach large enough to live in for months at a time if you can only carry clothes for a weekend? And where would we put the blankets, linens, air compressor, spare parts, books, binoculars, etc., etc.

Then there are the “what were they thinking” moments. Beveled glass mirror segments serving as a backsplash for the stove and sink. Galley sinks too small to hold a plate. Bathroom sinks with no place to set even a hairbrush. Sofa beds simply impossible to set upon - one shudders to think about what they are like for sleeping. Goodness knows what irrational design and instruction elements one would find given more time.

Of course, people have different needs and different wants. Even Airstream now finds it necessary to offer a plethora of models and sizes. But it all just made me wish we could take the Airstream out, fix a nice dinner, and kick back on the sofa with a good book or maybe a movie.

I’m good for another year, at least.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote