Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
28 Thread

Where are the 28s?

We are thinking of going from our much loved 1971 Overlander to a FC 28 Twin.

I think we are leaning towards new, but while looking for used the 28 seems a rare beast.

Dealer says the 27 is more popular because it allows the microwave and the LP oven as well as the hatch option. We don’t want a microwave or a hatch.

Who has a 28 (International or Flying Cloud)? What are your thoughts on your unit? We like the floor plan for our family of 4 humans, a lab, and often a cat. Especially the separate lounge and dinette with completely separate sleeping for our soon to be teen boys.

However, we have only seen the 28 on paper and never in person because they just aren’t around, so any thoughts from 28 owners are well appreciated. For instance, where would you put a boot dryer (we use our unit every weekend for our ski accommodations) or the dog water bowl so the rushed 11yo doesn’t kick it over?
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
We have a 2018 FC 28 RBQ. We went back and forth between the 27 and 28 floorplans. We preferred the L couch in the front that faced the television and the separate dinette. We have a microwave and have no need for the oven. We went with the Flying Cloud over the International because the FC has the overhead cabinets over the dinette, which serve as our pantry. The International has additional oval windows instead of the cabinets.
Our large dog's raised feeder is somewhat in the way no matter where we put it, but it sits just inside the door, against the back side of the dinette. We have never kicked it and the dog is the least in the way when eating or drinking. As for boot warmers, never owned one and would pull the AS south until boot warmer no longer needed, but that's just me. I would think they would work under the dinette, against the wall. An outlet is under the table and could still sit 3-4 people. Every floorplan has its pros and cons, but the 28 has been a good fit for us.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:13 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
We also have a 2018 FC 28 RBQ. We like the floorplan. It worked great for us for four years until we decided the front sofa wasn't very comfortable to reading or watching TV for more than a brief time.
We now have a pair of recliners, and the short part of the "L" shaped sofa was replaced by more kitchen counter, three more drawers, a microwave, and a place for six bourbon or wine bottles. Have only been on one trip with this setup, but so far we love it.
We don't have a dog or boot warmer so can't speak to that, 'though we have friends with a 28 foot twin bed model and travel with three dogs who are quite comfortable.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Trying to decide if a lift needs to factor into our build and purchase price. Anyone have trouble on an off ferries, steep driveways, or moderate dirt road boondocking on Forrest service and BLM lands?

I am leaning toward running it at stock height until we find a reason to lift it, but I don’t want that reason to show up will jumping on a ferry when heading for Vancouver Island.

Our Overlander rides higher with its replacement axles.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
When you lift, your rear end no longer is a worry. If you’re already worried about it then it may be best to just do it. Have you considered a 30 bunk? You would no longer be able to use the top bunk but the dinette still turns into a bed as well.

I have a 30 classic and lifted our unit. Really great move for us as we prefer to boondock as much as possible.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I installed the Dexter lift on my 28' the first year. The lift, TPMS, and battery disconnect switch are the top three best things I added. Both the tail and hitch drop shank would drag getting in and out of driveway without using boards and swapping out the hitch to a straight shank. Both a PITA. With the lift, tail clears and was able to shorten the hitch drop shank. Have also had a few road to pit stop transitions that I'm sure would have scraped without that extra clearance.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Cool. Lift will be a mod we make for sure.

Thanks for the 30ft bunk recommendation, but 28 is the sweet spot of a lot of our camping. We have been in many places where a 30 wouldn’t go.

We are about to get a deposit in and get in the build line. Sounds like most likely 4th quarter some time.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a 28' International Serenity.

We like it because of the lounge area and not having to twist neck to watch TV. It is also easy to set up as a bed when our grandchildren sleep with us without having to mess with the table.

We have a foot rest for the couch (ottoman storage box). Works great since it is double duty foot rest and storage.

Also the storage underneath couch is nice, and access to the water heater is easy.

We also have 2 dogs.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I have a 28' International Serenity.

We like it because of the lounge area and not having to twist neck to watch TV. It is also easy to set up as a bed when our grandchildren sleep with us without having to mess with the table.

We have a foot rest for the couch (ottoman storage box). Works great since it is double duty foot rest and storage.

Also the storage underneath couch is nice, and access to the water heater is easy.

We also have 2 dogs.
Awesome to hear that it is a kid friendly layout. That’s what we are thinking too. We looked hard at the International. DW was really heart set on having an International replace her International.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Anyone with 1 AC wishing they had a second?
Old 03-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Anyone with 1 AC wishing they had a second?

I didn’t just wish for a 2nd AC, I paid the Mothership to install one last Fall. Very, very nice to have here in South Florida.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I didn’t just wish for a 2nd AC, I paid the Mothership to install one last Fall. Very, very nice to have here in South Florida.
Oh for sure! If we didn't live and mostly travel through the PNW we would have gotten a second.

Notice how I said, "gotten"?

We placed our order today!

2023 28 RBT with Seattle Mist, awning package, and solar package.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:04 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 2021 28' International RBT. We previously owned a 25'FC RBQ and we MUCH prefer the twin layout, it's almost like getting another "room". Would never go back.

We also prefer the couch at the front of the trailer and the dinette setup.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 28' International
Wilmington , North Carolina
We have a 28 International Serenity and really love it! We had a 25 FC previously and this unit just hits the sweet spot. We know a lot of people who have 30 footers, and it is appealing for the extra room, but the 28 gives us everything we need, easy to tow and back, and plenty of room to do pretty much anything. We like the banquette seating, the dual HVAC units and the decor.
etojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois

Perfect fit for us

We have a 28 and the plan is to keep it as long as we can. I would hate to give up the extra skylight for an AC. We've always gotten by with just the one and if you're in an area where you really need a second, it's time to head North.
Relaytest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have 2 AC’s One could get by with 1, but I wouldn’t want to unless I was in a shaded area. I guess it depends to some degree what part of the country most camping is done. I would definitely get all the awnings on the windows etc. Also the AC units serve as heat pumps in a nice efficient way.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote