Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
up on the roof top

I have my Walbernize and my awning cleaner and my car wash, my longhandled brush, hose, chamis and cloths, but just how, oh how, do you get to the roof? I put the ladder right next to the Airstream but I don't even come close to reaching. How do you polish the roof?

And may I ask has anyone changed the Safari one step to two?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I used a six foot step ladder and used the lip above the awning and the window drip channel (very amatuer rock climber(helps)).climbed on roof in stocking feet and walbernized.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
aeroacrobatics without a net?

Gosh. Did I mention I am 5'2? Looks mighty daunting just from the top of the ladder. Can you step anywhere on the roof or only certain places?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Great thread ... as I am in the market for a ladder to take with me on our travels.

I saw a ladder at Orchard Supply Hardware that was identical to the Little Giant .. as seen on TV ... but was priced much less at $199 ... still pretty expensive .. so I passed.

During the Escapade Rally this week I purchased two Extreme Vents ... paid 10 bucks to have them installed since I didn't have a ladder.

The installer showed up with a clone of the Little Giant ... and I was amazed with how easy it was for him to just step up onto the top of my AS. So I climbed up to for a look .... and was convinced that the model I saw at OSH was worth every penny. I'll be getting one soon.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Yes allmost forgot to mention , it is real important to stay on the rivet lines that are holding the skin to the ribs. the line is two rows of rivets wide and runs side to side on the trailer . the single rivet lines are just holding the panels together and there is no structure that will support your weight under them. most of them run front to back but the are several areas that do go side to side single rivet. stay on the double riveted ribs.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I just got a 16' articulating ladder that lets you bend it into a 4' high 8' long scaffold. You have to put something on the rungs as a scaffold plank. It works well and is steady. I got mine from the local Ace hardware for $159. I don't think it would be good for full-timing like Porky is doing since it it is approximately 4'x1'x1.5' when folded for storage.

I forgot to give the name and model - ClimbTec CT416

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Xtend Telescoping Ladder

I've been looking for a ladder we can keep in our house to reach a storage loft and the skylights in our ceiling. It would double as an accessory for the trailer. What I found is the Xtend telescoping ladder that compacts to 30" and telescopes out to 12-1/2 feet.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I haven't gotten up the nerve to walk on mine.

I have a 16' alum. extension ladder(only need to extend a few feet) that I c-clamp a wood board to the ladder at the height to exactly match the awnings. Then I have a scrap piece of indoor carpet that I place between the wood board and the awning. I also made a leaning board covered with carpet that will more than hit two roof trusses. I use it to lean out over the top of the ladder if required.

I once saw an airstream where someone had forgotten and put their weight in between two trusses. Not very pretty!
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hi Carol,
This is where I'd planned to pick it up again. You're in much better shape than most of us to be standing on your roof top.~lol
Just remember to follow the recommendation of ctdair, stay on the rivet lines..not that it's an issues for you but, I do believe there's a weight limitation of 200lbs as well. You should be fine once up there. Just don't step on the skin area between the rivet lines. Lean your ladder against the main awning rail, this should be the best place for getting on and off the top of your unit. I'd highly recommend that you never do anything up on top without having another person on the ground to steady the ladder for you~!! At the very least, they can pass things back up to you..
You might want to check out Wal Mart for some long handle tools for washing and, to reduce your longer reaching efforts while up there. Hopefully, you've purchased these.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
hey, im too heavy! and i wouldnt trust any of those ladders any farther then i could throw them.... im afraid for my airstream not the height!...so any of you sparrows out there want to volunteer some of your time, i be glad to take you up....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote