Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Roof Re-seal: Dealer vs. Restorer vs. DIY

SOL on camping for a few weeks after DW broke her ankle. Rather than ignore the AS, I am looking at a couple of upgrades and maintenance projects which should be straight-forward. The one trickier project is resealing the various roof penetrations - these are starting to dry, crack, spall etc. (all appears to be original.)

Having searched the forum, I find lists of sealants, recommendations on accessing the roof, and gems like having DW do the job (see above, hence my dilemma.)

Local AS dealer charges $130/hr. and estimates 6 to 8 hours work ($780 to $1040) but doesn't want to provide a quote. Reputable local AS restorer would charge $85/hr. but seems less familiar with the task or how long it might take, as they work primarily on cool vintage units. Don't really want SOB RV dealers working on it who don't regularly deal with the AS brand, but perhaps this is an option.

Tempting to try DIY considering the seemingly high cost, particularly for the AS dealer. I have used ladders and caulking for years to seal-up the stucco on the house.

Anyone out there have a strong opinion about a fair price for this work? How about DIY for a first-timer? I am confident about getting the right products, stripping old, and replacing. The difficulty factor appears to be accessing the roof, staying on the seams and off the end caps, my 54-year old back, and the general safety of working at heights.

Curious what ya'll have to say.

Regards - Ron
2007 Classic 27fb
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just had the job done at my dealer. $1000 is a fair price. I toyed with DIY but it would have taken me a week on the roof, on my knees, to remove the old and reseal. Not something I wanted to do. Happy with my outcome.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, I'm 56 and I just did it for about $18 worth of sealer and about 6 hours of my time, but I'm well practiced at it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I am DIY'er on most things. I am no stranger to my roof. I use an 8 ft step ladder sitting sideways to the trailer. I go over the awning on my knees. I use sections of board to stand, kneel, or sit on. I would do the job myself.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
following
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I'm close to 60 and I do it all myself. Unless you are making more than 85 to 130 an hour yourself, then it pays for you to do it. And it really isn't all that hard, especially if you plan it out. Any pics of the parts you want to reseal? I would look especially hard at the plumbing vents. Not sure if the new models use a different system for sealing the pipe, but on the vintage units you have rubber that deteriorates after several years in the hot sun.

And if the roof isnt already painted white, you may want to look at doing that as well, it really cuts down on the heat that is transferred to the inside of the trailer.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
It just depends on your state of mind and body. I'm 76 and I got on my AS roof this spring to re-caulk most of the roof-penetrations. It's not that I can't afford to pay someone to do it, but it just seems like something I should do. I take some satisfaction in still doing things for myself. It's not for everyone, I know, and I may break my body doing it some day, but that's my choice. Too soon old, too late smart? I guess that's me!
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
If you are capable of doing it yourself, then go for it. I'm 64 and do mine and my dad is 88 and did his u til he sold it a few years ago. I'd rather not pay someone to screw it.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
It ain't that hard to do yourself.

I did it last year when I was 70. I wish I had thought of using a heat gun to soften the old sealant which makes it a lot easier to scrap off. I also wish I had done it in the shade under the tree in my front yard. That white roof reflects the sun. BTW I had to get up on my roof a few weeks ago to replace the AC/Heat pump. This stuff is not that hard to do. Just read up on it here and on YouTube.
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks ya'll for your comments, all great input and perspectives. I look forward to some quality project time on the AS, but would much rather be camping... soon, I hope. My son bought me a couple of publications (pictured below) for Fathers Day that should be useful. I likely will do the reseals a bit at a time, as I am certainly up for the work myself, frugal, and in no hurry.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1466473174.681249.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  158.8 KB
Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I went to Jackson Center yesterday to get the required sealants to reseal the windows, seams and items on the roof. The service guy(Kevin) showed me how remove the old and apply the new. I plan on starting on this as soon as the temps get in the 70's again

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote