Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #21
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you are going to fix the holes how about rivetting pieces of stainless steel over the holes? They would match the aluminum in appearance but not wear through again.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Becky if I recall correctly from long ago; balancing the running gear per Inland Andy entails much more than just taking the tires and wheels for balancing.
It requires that the hubs be balanced.Maybe it was hubs and wheels and tires all at once, not sure. And very few places can do that. I would check with Inland Andy for the current thinking on this procedure. Maybe the factory can do it right if you are near there>

As for seniors telling lies, yep that is unfortunate but young liars just grow older not "honester". Actually of course when it comes to commerce (buying & selling) (especially amateur commerce) there are many more liars than otherwise, young, old & in between IMHO. It's a devious, wicked old world we find ourselves in, maybe more so every day. Love your neighbor He says. But does He say trust em?

Assuming you paid a few thousand too much (which may not be the case) will only weigh on your mind. Don't let it. The solution is to make sure you have that much (and more) value in joy derived from the trailer.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm in the process of painting the banana wrap anyhow, so I won't be avoiding it by putting patches on the slits. They really aren't that large or noticeable (it took me 1 1/2 years to even notice them since they're toward the bottom of the wrap), so I might even just leave them the way they are & paint it.

As far as the balancing goes.....I have read a bunch of threads of balancing (even before I noticed the slits) and went so far as to call a couple of tire garages to see if they did the balancing of hubs & tires all at once. They never heard of such a thing (not that I'm saying there isn't). Then I read about the Centramatics on this forum. The people that have them seem happy with them. Since I can't find anyone to balance the whole unit, I'm having the tires balanced & then putting on the Centramatics. I'm hoping they work as well as people on here have said they do. I'm a LONG way from Andy, so I won't be going there!

By the way, I'm over the fact that I messed up when I bought my trailer. I gave it a mean name after I bought it (Brutis), but I'm considering changing it, since it's now looking nice & has grown on me! It might even change into a girl!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

That's a great attitude Becky.
The balancing thing is very important. I'm sure someone here will direct you to a more local place for you to check out. I don't see a major problem with leaving the slits as they are for a while anyway. The intrusion of water would eventually cause the frame to rust but the belly wraps are not very water tight anyway.

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
It requires that the hubs be balanced.Maybe it was hubs and wheels and tires all at once, not sure. And very few places can do that. I would check with Inland Andy for the current thinking on this procedure. Maybe the factory can do it right if you are near there>
This is how we do it.

Wheel Balancing Photos - Inland RV

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
There is away to balance the wheels on the vehicle using a rotation drum to spin the wheel, then there is a ring that clamps on the wheel that indicates how much weight. The only place I have seen these are big truck shops and some older tire shops. We have one but the strobe is broken and it is so old we can no longer get parts for it. Keep going to sales and hoping to find one for parts.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote