Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Front center Belly pan removal. Plate?

Does this steel plate need to come off to let the front center (Between the frame rails) belly pan drop down?
And what is this plate for?

I already did the back, it was like 2 inches up under all the way around. I figured it was the same.
If I need to drop the plate, all of those rivets need to come out.

Thanks for any info on the subject. Tomorrow afternoon project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1234.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	230931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1232.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	230932  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1231.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	230933  
Studioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
That plate is the front "hold down" plate that keeps the shell firmly attached to the frame in front. You *should* not need to remove any of those rivets to drop the belly pan. That being said, it always helps to know what year trailer you are working on. You will need to remove the trim.

good luck
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
1961 Ambassador

Sorry,,,
It's a 61' Ambassador. The back of the trailer floor is already complete (I used 3/4 Marine Grade plywood). I didn't do the "Body off", but I did change out the full sheets by removing the lower "Plate".
I can clearly see from the inside I have all the rivets removed (As I did in the back of the camper). The outside front-trim is already removed. It should just drop down at this point.
I have the rivets under the belly pan up into the frame also removed and the bottom is flopping around ready to fall down once I get the front center to drop.
I'm probably not even changing the plywood out at the very front. And even tho I have gotten a good look at the frame with my probe camera, I just want to see it in plain sight.
Thanks for the help...
What I guessed to be a 30 min project addition, is over an hour, and the part I thought would be simplest is the toughest.
Studioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I guess you know that you do not have to drop the belly pan when you replace the floor. Maybe that would help out with your question and let you just inspect, rust proof the plate and install the wood flooring.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I guess you know that you do not have to drop the belly pan when you replace the floor. Maybe that would help out with your question and let you just inspect, rust proof the plate and install the wood flooring.
So, the belly pan can stay in place while the sub floor is replaced, correct?
I am planning on taking the shell off of my 59 Overlander, but I don't need to replace all the belly pan (only one panel). I haven't been intending to remove all the belly pan, but some of the posts I read indicate that I need to do so. I'm so lost on the belly pan portion. Insight would be helpful! Thanks!
painterfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Rockford , Michigan
I was just looking at my plate last night. On my 68, there is a piece of aluminum that is about 10" tall with a 90 degree bend in it that is about 2 1/2" long. It was riveted to the lower row of rivets in the steel hold down plate, went down between the a frame, and the short leg went under the front most crossmember. It has holes up through the bottom of the crossmember, too. I think it's primary purpose is flashing, and to cover the crossmember. It was between the skin and the plate. That piece could definitely get in the way of bellypan removal. But you may be able to just release the rivets in the bottom of the crossmember to slide the belly skin out.
Good luck!
Mark.
Let me know if you want a picture.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
newas4mark is offline   Reply With Quote