Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
fastening seam without rivets/screws

added black tank to the aft frame bay--going to cover with a single sheet of belly pan material, but I need an access panel so that the tank outlet/valve/plumbing can be accessed.

I cut a 2' x 4' piece and attached it to the frame cross-members; planning on cutting a short 2' x 1' piece that will overlap a little bit...along that seam, there should be a couple of fasteners just to make sure that there are no gaps where critters could get in, but I can't drill or use screws because the bottom of the tank is "right there"; might drill into it.

So I'm wondering if there is some kind of "clip" or some-such....something shaped like a flattened "s" that will clip on to the edge of one panel, and allow another panel to attach.
any ideas?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
See if you can get a local metal fabrication shop to put a Pittsburgh seam on one piece that the other can then slide into. Used on ductwork...
Old 11-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
well, that gave me something to google, anyway. thanks!

yeah: that.

after a quick perusal of the google-webs, it looks like you might be able to do this, yourself, with just a hand seamer and a hammer. But my question is: can you do this with aluminum, or is it too brittle?
most examples I saw were with galvanized/ductwork...more malleable than aluminum.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
But my question is: can you do this with aluminum, or is it too brittle?
most examples I saw were with galvanized/ductwork...more malleable than aluminum.
I have seen it done with aluminum...not necessarily the aircraft strength stuff Airstreams are made out of. You could have what you are looking to have made out of galvanized steel...no one will ever see it and it should hold up pretty well.

Even Airstream did not use aluminum for everything...
Save
Old 11-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
I tried it today, and it seems to have worked out good. After having a name I could search on, I saw some videos of people making the Pittsburgh seam by hand with a seamer....so I went out and picked up an el-cheap-o seamer from HF. I tried bending over a couple of scrap pieces...no problem; didn't crack or break.
I decided to just fold over the edge of each piece so there will be like a pair of "J" bends that hook together. That should be plenty to just keep the unsupported edges from flopping around.
I managed to get the 2 large pieces in place today before running out of daylight. I should be able to get the access panels done tomorrow, if it isn't pouring rain.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Lamar , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
added black tank to the aft frame bay--going to cover with a single sheet of belly pan material, but I need an access panel so that the tank outlet/valve/plumbing can be accessed.

I cut a 2' x 4' piece and attached it to the frame cross-members; planning on cutting a short 2' x 1' piece that will overlap a little bit...along that seam, there should be a couple of fasteners just to make sure that there are no gaps where critters could get in, but I can't drill or use screws because the bottom of the tank is "right there"; might drill into it.

So I'm wondering if there is some kind of "clip" or some-such....something shaped like a flattened "s" that will clip on to the edge of one panel, and allow another panel to attach.
any ideas?
Put a stop on your drill bit so you can't go to deep. Bill
bparker3849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
You might try making the panel a little oversized; then, use a couple of these on the corners and/or edges:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-09213-C.../dp/B0006JLVFI
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Pittsburgh seam on leading edge, Camco fasteners on trailing edge and Velcro along both sides. (3M Dual Lock, Amazon)

USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote