Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

belly pan removal

Help anybody.....I am crawling around underneath looking for the best place to start pulling this belly pan. I have drilled out a couple of rivets that look to be about 3/16". Is there a better replacement or go with the same size rivets I took out? The more I look, the larger this task and its replacement gets. My original intent was to completely replace or repair the majority the plumbing before starting on my electrical system. With this in mind, is there a distinct avantage to removing the belly pan? There are lots of things to do now that my leaks seem to be under control. My floors are all solid, so besides replacing carpet and vinyl, I don't intend to pull them up. Any suggestions, comments, or advice?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
In my humble opinion ,put the time somewhere else.The only wiring I believe you'll find is the 12V curbside framerail stuff that feeds the taillights /running lights, chargeline, etc. from the 7 pin connector. All 110V stuff is upside, at least on mine.
Not sure on plumbing-except of course if you have leaks in your black tank /Thetford connection area.I think most plumbing is also above floor level.
I'm using 1/8" poprivits and a 1" strap of aluminum on my bellypan which I think was an upgrade by the PO.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, Murray. The strap you have on your belly pan must have been an up-grade. I don't see any evidence of one being on my Ambassador, but maybe that is the difference in the models. I really a novice, learning as I go. What do you think would be the best way to access wiring and plumbing in the walls? I figured I would be able to do both of them at the same time. Just looking and reading I am guessing that most of the wall coverings must come off. Drill the rivets, label, orient and set aside each piece. Thanks for your suggestions. Anything you can add is appreciated.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I agree with Murray. I just removed and refastened my belly. Not too bad a job. I did it to check the frame and repaint the frame. When I put it back together I used stainless steel screws so it I ever need to drop it again it will be easy.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Skip
Although I can't speak of your model,in my Safari the plumbing follows the outside walls and can be accessed through the cabinetry or behind appliances or under the side gaucho. The drainage is all abs and supply is 1/2" flexible copper-both of which have long service life and unless you have a problem I would leave them alone.The taps can easily be rebuilt with new washers and plumbers grease the 110 V system is behind the interior wall skin,and again if it ain't broke why fix it? Much as i dislike aluminum wiring, it too can mostly be serviced/restored at exposed connections like fuse panels and outlets.
Ken's idea of screws is good but I find screws work loose really easily if you've got an unbalanced wheel assembly , or just because of the road vibtation.I would use some Vulcem or Locktite if I were going that route.
Personally-I had to draw the line on major teardowns when I bought 'Puff.I spent 12 years on an antique car and never really got to enjoy the thing.My policy now is if I can't get it back together before next weekend, it stays that way!I bought this one to enjoy the road- not the garage!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I do use vulcum or silicone on the screws - that way they stay put.

And yes there is a balance between having it sit and all you do is work on it and using it. I spread my projects out between using the trailer rather than the other way around. I do get fustrated sometimes because I would much rather go camping anyday than work in the trailer. There have been many times I thought about just buying a new one.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Murray, this may be the best piece of advice I have had since starting this project! I am going to take it to heart. My reasoning was, the more I exposed, the better idea I would have of over all function and where to go when ID'ing problems, but you are right, I have been through projects before. When I sold them, someone else enjoyed the fruits of time and effort invested.

This is a great forum for feed back and technical information.
My first foray was Vista windows and a few leaks. All my info came from this forum. It was almost like putting together an erector set. Advice from this forum took me right through step by step. Thanks for the advice. My wife, Betts, agrees and is ready to hit the road!