Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Help with replacing the blue strips!!

I know the subject has been discussed, but any updates or new ideas? We want to replace the strips on 1988 Excella 1000. I keep hearing that it can be a nightmare to get old stuff off. How do you keep it straight when you put new on? Does it help to heat the tape a little when putting it on? Personally we LIKE the looks of it so don't want to just remove it but we do not need to spend the next month fooling around with it either!!
Thanks for any help or encouragement.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Annie,
Are you talking about the blue vinyl rub rail strips or the mid-riff pin-stripe decals?

If it is the vinyl rub rail strips their removal and replacement is pretty easy. But I so not have any experience removing and replacing the pin strip decals.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
One tip is to control the adhesive on the back with water or windex The foam kind is best. I work with adhesive vinyl a lot and when we are placing it we pull the backing and expose the glue side, then spray it and our fingers...this stops the glue from sticking and you can move and straighten it for a little time (long enough to get it just right) then smooth it with a cloth on the outside...then let it sit for the day and night...by this time the glue will be back in action as the glass cleaner has evaporated. and will go back to its original state...make sure there is no dirt/sand/lint on your surfaces....window tint is applied much the same way on glass.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks folks. Great tip on using Windex to give the glue more "open" time. We are thinking about just the vynl tape stripes at mid-level on the trailer, not the vynl rubstrip piece.
I think I can just use automotive stiping tape if I can find it someplace. I am not up to paying Airstream......or anybody else, a dollar foot for the stuff. ha!!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
This is for everybody and that is to aquaint yourselves with the product from Walmart called "CONTACT" vinyl covering (and only get a roll of the white) One (jumbo) roll of white contact will cover a four by eight sheet of say...plywood as a reminder. I use this alot in my work...thats how I knew to cancel the glue (even with water) long enough to get it where it belongs...some of you can use it for shelf lining. If you ever....oh nevermind, just keep a roll of it around and you may need it someday. But I did mention white because it has a LESSER amount of adhesive on it.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Okay follks, now where is the SMART place to buy the light blue and dark blue vynl tape I need. I will need some 3" and some 4/4" tape. Thank you again.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Anniedog,
Try this link to Out of Doors Mart and browse through the four pages of items and you might find what you are looking for...

Airstream Maintenance : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

Andy at Inland RV might also have what you are looking for.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Galls.com
they have some reflective tape in many colors, as used on police and fire trucks.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I would not recommend using low tack shelf liner, it's not made for outdoor use.

Try this method for applying strips. Start by using masking tape, use this as a guide, it's cheap and easy to work with. With the masking tape lay as straight a line as you can get place the masking tape to use it as a guide along the top of where the finished stripe is going to be. Once you are happy with where the masking tape is press it down real good. Now you should be able to apply your final stripe dry or wet in short sections, i.e. removing only a short section of release liner, do not cut the strip into short sections.

Personally I would apply a strip this small dry, if you choose to apply it wet, remember too much moisture will make the masking tape come off and you lose your guide.

Try not to do this outside, the wind is not your friend in this situation.

Good luck, most sign shops can get any width striping up to 60" x 150', it might cost more than a $1 a foot for 3" wide material.

Derek
Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Trailer stripe progress report

Oka y folks, here's where we are: the tape we need has been ordered from Outdoors Mart. It is $3.95 per foot. It is 7.5 inches wide and thus is applied as ONE piece of tape, not several srips as I had thought.
But, I have a hunch installing it is going to be easier than getting the old stuff off!! Heat gun and single edge razor blade scraper so far and it is slllooooooooww going. Be VERY CAREFUL with the heat gun. You can easily get the METAL too hot. Or the plastic rub rail above and below the tape. The old stuff is REALLY STUCK on the trailer side and it is going to a long delicate process to get it off. THEN you have to deal with the residual glue! Yikes.
Will keep you posted.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Litchfield , Maine
Pin Striping removal

If you check with an auto body shop, they have a remover that softens and make this easy to remove. The remover is considered harmful, but what isn't harmful now a days
JDHinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mukwonago , Wisconsin
For decal removal you can us 3M Adhesive remover available at any auto paint store. There is also a tool that chucks up in a drill that is a rotary eraser. You use it to take the surface of the tape off which exposes the adhesive, and then apply the 3M product. Tedious but effective and it won't hurt the underlying surface. Good Luck
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Stripe Removal update

Here's the latest on the stripe removal project. Remember: we have the 7.5" wide stripe the whole length of a 1988 Excella 1000. The 3M stripe removal wheel does work, but I am on my second one and they are $30 each. We have the tape and it was $112 for 30'. The 3M adhesive remover does work, but it takes a LOT of elbow grease too.
There is nothing quick or easy about this job so be advised. We really didn't HAVE to do this-just thought it would freshen up the streetside of the trailer. We have about $250 invested. And this is ONE side of the trailer. And we are not DONE yet.
The wheel remover is better than heatgun and razor knife but tiring on your wrist!!
Rivet I asked about for reinstalling the Zip Dee part-the "horn" that holds anchor strap, is an Olympic rivet that can be used with a regular old cheapie hand rivet tool.
That's all for now.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I have been in the sign business for 22 years. There is no easy or sure fire way to remove vinyl stripping or graphics. There are many products and ways to use them and everybody has there own ways/ideas of doing things. Your going at it just fine, it just sometimes takes that long. There are many different types and brands of vinyl, even the weather the vinyl has encountered over the years effects it differently. Hang in there, you'll get it done soon.

Derek
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The wheel I mentioned to you originally, in the other thread, I paid $12 for.

If you can hold up long enough to order them take a look on Ebay. Better yet if you have a compressor you can use. I know you secretly love this job.....

Astro 533ET Pinstripe Removal Tool w/Eraser Pad:eBay Motors (item 350192568665 end time Aug-17-09 20:55:01 PDT)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote