Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Ford Airstream Paint?

Is that chrome paint, would like to paint A/C shroud to match polished Caravel............any comments on the paint?

=
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Hey, if you've done the hard work to get that nice polished look, why not make it all match?!!

Maybe this stuff will do the trick, actually branded as "Reflective Aluminum" paint...
Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating
Old 01-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I'm not sure I'd argree with the Westwood stuff. I've been looking at Alsa Corp | The world's most unique paints and finishes for a couple of years. Their applications vary with materials but KillerChrome is one very interesting idea as is MirraChrome. Take some time to watch their online videos and you'll see what I mean.
The majority of so called chrome paint is nothing more than silver paint. Alsa is much much more.
MirraChrome has no equal. Other companies are selling coatings which are simply a version of our Ghost Chrome - no product to date can compare to the reflection rate of MirraChrome. Many other have tried without success to bring you a top-coatable chrome spray. Only Alsa has done it! Using our complete MirraChrome kit, and following the required dry times, and application recommendations you can achieve a clear coated and completely durable finish 95-98% that of true chrome. Try it and see regardless of what they say there IS a chrome spray that can be topcoated and doesn’t look like simple spray paint when finished and it’s called MirraChrome.

See more photos at http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/...r-ci-el-ago/It isn't cheap and like most paint finishes you still will want to clear coat the final finish.
BTW I have a back door request in from a friend. His brother is a designer at Ford and we're trying to get info on the paint used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mar2lam_7.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	31080  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Chrome on plastic

Hey Toastie,
Try this. I am putting it on the Carrier low profile cover. Pictures to come. It may be too much "bling" for the Caravel. We could be shunned over this.
Home of Custom Coatings and Pot Metal Restorations
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Plating vs. painting....I'd go for plating if the price was right. However for something like the A/C shroud, well I'm a DIY'er. So I'd go KillerChrome. MR what's the quote to do the plating from Eastwood?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Hey Toastie,
Try this. I am putting it on the Carrier low profile cover. Pictures to come. It may be too much "bling" for the Caravel. We could be shunned over this.
Home of Custom Coatings and Pot Metal Restorations
Would like to see the pic's, having Harley's, we chrome ever thing, just can't get enough chrome.........
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote