Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Clearcoat peeling on my '02

I went out to wash the winter off the Bambi yesterday and was alarmed to discover a patch of clearcoat about 3" x 1" had peeled away from the skin. It's at the top curve on the side that gets most of the solar exposure, but then I found a peeling patch on the shady side maybe 4 feet up. It's interesting that the peeled clearcoat wasn't brittle at all (it didn't break off easily). Yes, I Walbernized last fall before the white stuff took over. This is an '02 trailer. So much for the Alcoa finish. Anyone else having this dilema on a newer AS?

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Alcoa finish/Clearcoat

RFIELD54,

I was alarmed read about the peeling clearcoat on your 02!

My A/S is a 99, it was the first year for the pre-coated panels from Alcoa, I have been told by everyone in-the-know and have been told there is no stripping/recoating proceedure on these.

So far, I have not detected any peeling or any issue.

I am concerned about what happens in the event of it develops a clearcoat problem. Did Alcoa intend or design this product to last for ever, just a long time or just in optimum conditions?

Does anyone have any thoughts?
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Clearcoat

I had the clearcoat peeling from a front top center panel on my 2003 CCD. They had to replace the entire panel (fortunately it was under warranty), unfortunatley it began leaking badly after a few months and now it is being replaced again (unfortunately the warranty ran out).

I also had the clearcoat peeling on all 4 wheels and had those replaced.

I was told if it peels there is nothing you can do except to replace the panel.

Good luck!

Bluvalley
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My 2003 had peeling problems near the rivits and panel edges. Resolved by replacing the panels at JC. Now I store the trailer indoors. When in JC I saw a few newer trailers with peeling problems.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Bluvalley, If the same panel that was replaced under warranty is now leaking, I would think they should warranty it???? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Help - "Pitting" panels?/clearcoat

We have an 02 Classic. Clearcoat is not peeling, but (while still under warranty) we discovered "pitting" of the panels/clearcoat coming out from under the rubrails in several areas, and coming out under the Airstream emblem. Random spots = not a regular pattern, but it seems to be spreading. It looks like corrosion.

We bought this unit used, from a dealer. We immediately took the unit to our local dealer for some "tune-up" work, and to show them this panel/clearcoat condition. They took pictures and sent them to Airstream. Airstream said it was a MAINTENANCE issue - no warranty coverage.

We keep her clean and walbernized. What are we missing on the maintenance issue, and what is the remedy for this problem because it is getting worse.

Any input is appreciated. Jenturnr
Jenturnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We have a 2002 CCD with minor "pitting" of the clearcoat around exterior handle for the door. It looks like very small white spots, irregular in shape. I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion for keeping this from spreading. The clearcoat has also partially peeled from the exterior hinges of the door... I'm not as concerned about this as I am about the pitting on the panel around the door handle. Any help would be appreciated.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
wbrownrr

The pitting you describe is caused by very small nicks, scratches or cracking of the plasticoat.

A salt atmosphere will easily penetrate those carcks, and then etch the aluminum.

In the case of the hinges, the metal is really too smooth for the plasticoat to bond.

The hinges can be cleaned up and a new coat of plasticoat can be applied.

You may have to refinish the top of the door panel to help the lock area.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Andy
I believe you said that even Airstream dosen't have the plasticoat. So can it be fixed, OEM style. I could not find any of this plasticoat for my 03. I had C & G replace the whole lower street side under warranty. Is there now a fix? Because everone is going to experience some pitting and peeling at sometime.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tinsel Loaf

There are only two types of plasticoat available from Airstream.

One is the spray cans.

The other is a two part mixture available in gallons only.

Unfortunately, all a person can do is use the spray can plasticoat material, and hope for the best.

Both, so we are told, are compatible with the new type coating.

Andy
Old 06-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

my 02 safari is pealing and cracking in multiple places (all curved) . i feel the bending process weakens the coating. true to form , i got zippo satisfaction from airstream. who requested i send them photos, acted like they never heard of this problem -then told me i could drive 1000 mi round trip to the closest dealer who would keep the trailer for around a week and repair it at my expense. so much for standing up for your product--esp when it is an obvious product defect.
drno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
The "peeling" on our 02 Classic is in various spots - not necessarily curved areas. I would just like to know how to stop it from spreading further!
Jen
Jenturnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Andy,
Thanks for the information. I'm going to try the spray plasticoat on the hinges... and try touching up the small pits around the lock to see if that keeps things from spreading. Worth a try, anyway.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
wbrownrr

Make sure the area that your going to paint, is "very" clean.

If not, you will gain a bunch of fisheyes.

Andy
Old 06-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Tinsel Loaf

There are only two types of plasticoat available from Airstream.

One is the spray cans.

The other is a two part mixture available in gallons only.

Unfortunately, all a person can do is use the spray can plasticoat material, and hope for the best.

Both, so we are told, are compatible with the new type coating.

Andy
Part numbers please!

As for the gallon size, what's to keep someone who has the proper equipment from buying the 2-part gallon size, mixing up what's needed, and spraying it themselves?
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
2005, 22' CCD clearcoat pealing on door hinges and assist handle. Dealer polished hinges and re-clear coated them. They ignored the handle. It is still pealing and corroding. I think it is probably too difficult to remove the handle so they could polish it out. Typical dealer service; take it back and back again until the warranty runs out.
This is only one problem out of many. I just read another post where an owner of a 2004 model was thinking of trading it in because of poor quality, but voiced his his trepidation of getting "another problem unit. I think he refered to it as a " crap shoot". Ironic choice of words! Maybe this is Airstream's strategy to keep moving units. I notice a lot of folks have traded in 1 or 2 yr. old models ( in hopes of getting an acceptable one? ).
Dennis
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Problems with my 2003 were written up previously. It seems that the clear lifts where it has been disturbed near rivits, panel edges and curved segments. In addition rock hits and bug splats create small holes as entry points for water. This starts filiform corrosion (looks like worm tracks under the clear). The aluminum wheels have similar problems.

The factory might offer to replace a skin under warranty. However I believe it is likely that the problem will return. If you are particular enough to find the corrosion a problem, you will probably not be happy with the results of the fix - replacing a skin is major work and even the factory does a marginal job.

My suggestion is to Walbernize, avoid salt, store the trailer inside, and learn to live with it.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

The skin coating portects, looks good but is a necessary pain we must deal with. It could be worse, we could all have SOB's.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

corrosion control

Try using ACF-50 on the white cancer. Check out www.corrosion-control.com.
Much cheaper than replacing panels. It will stop the big C in it's tracks.

Jack
flsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
I share your concern on the Bambi clearcoat problem. I've not had any evidence of peeling but plenty of corrosion sites since the unit was new. In 2002 I brought the Bambi to JC and they replaced, under warranty, four quarter panels and did a fine job. I was quite satisfied.

Since then, the corrosion has continued appearing in many locations, generally on the lower half of the trailer, showing up from under rivet heads, seam edges, under medallions, essentially it can appear anywhere there is a clearcoat break.

I suspect that living on the coast with constant salt air breezes, and the use of brine and salt in the winter where I travel are the biggest causes of my problems.

Last year I started an experiment at work to study the corrosion process, and used some scrap clearcoated aluminum with attached rivets that I got from an Airstream dealer. This was sprayed with seawater, rinsed with freshwater, and then exposed to salt air on a dock for six months.

The corrosion site spreads under the clearcoat and can progress fairly rapidly. The corrosion sites look like monochrome aerial photos of hilly regions, and the corrosion looks like the flooded river valleys... and one I observed on the test panel grew 1 cm in length in 4 months.

I've yet to decide how to stop and then remove the corrosion on my trailer. It is not a structural issue and will not likely be, but it is a serious cosmetic problem. On the test panel, I've carefully cut off the top clearcoat of one corroded area, scraped the corrosion off down to the clean metal, built up the area and then recoated the surface. That was three months ago and it has not failed yet, but a new corrosion site next to it has started and threatens the area I restored.

Based on that, I think flsafari's suggestion of ACF-50 is a good one. I've tried using that sprayed on a 6061-T4 aluminum frame which was clearcoated and intended for use on a buoy. The ACF-50 was applied after the structure was showing corrosion starting at corners and through-holes. Four months after application, the corrosion has not spread.

But I'm not sure how to apply ACF-50, which goes on as a fogged spray to all areas, on an Airstream. In my Bambi the ACF-50 may not easily get under the medallions and seams, but it could. It may be effective to intentionally break the clearcoat atop the corrosion site to allow the ACF-50 to enter, but I have not tried that.

Any experience with this product, or suggestions to other discussion sites where there is experience, would be appreciated.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote