Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tiny Bubbles

SO... I decided to really clean my gray tank because it was a bit skanky smelling. Bleach and empty.... Then move to a new camping spot. Hmmm. Why not put some water in the tank and drain it upon arrival?

And when I arrived?

Well I had left a.bottle of shampoo in the shower, and it leaked.and went down the drain. And was shaken by the back roads I traveled on. (there is a reaaon Airstream furnishes the shower with a drain plug.... so that water in the gray tank doesn't "burp" up all over your shower.)

I got about a foot of bubbles in my shower and ran the water for 15 minutes to completely clear the shampoo that had hit the walls, floor and door.

Duh. Normally I keep all that stuff in a bucket on the floor when traveling. This was just a perfect storm.

Oh well... could have been worse.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Did it help solve your problem? That could be a very fortunate mistake!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Nothing like starting the new year with a clean tank. I wonder how many of us have used foaming dish wash soap in the dishwashing machine only to find tiny bubbles all over the kitchen floor.

Actually I have used Dawn in my tanks while traveling to help keep them cleaner. And I have overfilled my gray tank into the shower pan a time or two.

I'm surprised you could detect the shanky smelling gray tank order. I don't know what a shanky is. You are shielded from that with the traps on all your drains. It's plumbing 101.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
David, I could tell the gray tank was foul BECAUSE I pulled the wrong handle and overfilled it into the shower. I imagine if one wore a pair of socks for six months without washing them... that would approximate the gray tank's funk.

Soap scrum, dead skin cells, dirt, etc can get really nasty. The black tank is a different kind of "Whew! But neither are welcome visitors.

Paula
Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Okay, I understand. I think most Airstreamers have experienced the "gray tank overflow" area in the shower pan or tub. Human error.

And yep, gray water is a "waste water" and certainly the reason for RVs to start installing gray tanks in our units around 1975 or so. No longer allowed to drain it on the grass and call it good at the campground.

My vintage 75 Overlander has a rip roaring 10 gallon gray tank. Heck, the bathtub is bigger than that. I'm busy installing a more modern sized tank under it now.

And thanks for the definition of "shanky smelling". You described it so well it upset my stomach.

David

PS just kidding
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Even with the overflow in the shower, it's likely still cleaner than campsite shower stall floors!
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
RULE OF TANKS: Depending on the type of tank, there will always be more or less in that tank than the gauge ever will show.
----------------------
"Tanks for Nothing!"
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote