Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
Window bubbles?

Some of my windows look like they have bubbles in them. They are all double pane, and the bubbles are in the middle. How can I fix this?
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You may be the owner of one of the models that was ordered with the optional "thermopain" windows. I have spelled it that way due to the fact that they are a pain to replace as a rule, but also because they tend to be a trouble spot as you have recently found out. The side windows can be replaced from a salvaged Airstream that has single pane windows, but the fixed Vista Views and the front curved windows are generally not available at reasonable costs.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Window Film on the inside/outside??

My "new" '76 has the same problem, most of the main windows are bubbled and the vista views are really cloudy. But I wanted the double-pane glass for any insulating properties it might offer. (My use will primarily be in winter)

In my AS, the bubbles bug me becasue they're ugly! (My wife reminds me that they're not really that bad - I'm just too picky!) I'm guessing your's is very similar. Instead of going the replacement route, have you considered just hiding the uglys?

I'm trying to find a window film that will last when applied on the outside. I saw one installation of a reflective film in the members' photos section that looked very nice! (IMHO - the semi-mirror effect is more subtle against the shiny exterior than a dark tint.)

Does anyone have experience with a product that will last on the exterior of the windows??

If it really starts to bug me I might consider a light tint on the inside too! But I kind of doubt it will need it...

Just an idea!!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Just a thought...

Jason,

Since your use is going to primarily in the winter, the daytime sun really helps to warm the interior. I don't even put out the awning to catch this free source of heating.

Just a thought-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Good point... Do you think the window film might reduce this some, by reflecting the light?

The bubbles are still ugly, though. Any other ideas? Maybe a non-reflective film, or one that lets light/heat pass in, but not back out?

Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2003, 01:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I believe so...

Jason,

I believe the main purpose of window flim is to cut down on the amount of heat getting into the trailer. ie: summer time sun

Maybe others have a different experience and will share.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

In ours it looks like there is a film in the vista windows that is cloudy and starting to peel.
I was thinking about maybe using a stained glass window type film I had seen.
Mighty Gorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

That sounds very interesting! My only dilema is where to try to cover the uglys, inside or outside? What were your plans with the "stained glass" film?
Old 01-23-2003, 09:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

My thought was using the stained glass film on the inside. It would add some color.
http://www.glassdeco.com/thumbnails.htm
Mighty Gorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:07 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
Well, I'm going to do it. I'm going to attempt to disassemble one of the windows, remove the bubbled tint, and re-assemble them. I'm lucky because I work at an airfield full of aircraft mechanics that are skilled at aluminum repairs and such. If I get into any trouble, they should be able to bail me out. If they can handle a Gulfstream Jet, then they can handle an Airstream trailer .
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:22 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Widow bubbles

Old silver
Good luck, with you window, and please let us all know how your getting along. I am sure those aircraft mechanics, are good for the job. If all goes well they will probably find orders from all over the world !!
Jason
J M Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:06 PM   #12

I was a professional window tinter and owned 18 different shops and tinting businesses. I wouldn't remove the tint from the thermo's and then put it back, and I've never had a 'stream with thermo's on the side, but have one that has them in the front curves, and also in the Vista Views. The tint was on the inner panes in the Vistas, and the were plexiglas and tinted at the factory. I threw the plexi away and replaced it with coke bottle green Lexan- my personal favorite. It doesn't keep out heat very well but I have the sliding covers for that if I need it. The front ones are full of water, so I'll drill em, drain em, and fill em.
ThermoPains are over rated. We have such a small area to cool or heat that they won't be able to make a difference. I turn on my $22.95 disc furnace in my 31 and its an oven in less than 3 minutes, so I can't imagine going to any great lengths to salvage them. If you're going to re-tint the inside of a sealed thermo- do it on the inner pane, and use a very light, slightly reflective film, about 50%, and if its not sealed you can do whatever you like. The problem is that heat will build up and explode the sealed ones.
Removing the panes, and frames and then re-bucking them is a major and involved job- which is usually like opening a can of worms, especially when you have to go into the interior to buck.
This sound crazy- but IF I had the thermo's on the side- I'd probably take a glass cutter, cut the inside pane and snap it out using suction cups, and remove it all together. Then you can access the outer pane to tint it and do whatever you choose.
Metallized films, expensive ones, are always the best, and will last the longest. Don't be cheap- buy the good stuff. Llumar, Centaur- ask the dealer for ine of those and if they don't have it find someone who does. 3M is not worth the extra money- they're usually selling the name and the product is mediocre.
Good luck!
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thermopanes

Thanks to everyone for the interesting ideas! I also have the thermo's and I am currently mulling over all options.
73ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote