Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Bradenton / Tampa FL

I am going to Braedenton FL from Tuesday (tommorrow) thru Friday the 7th. I am a newbie to Airstreams. Are there any nearby ralies during that time. Or any good places to see Airstreams?

Thanks!

-Sig
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Bates RV on I-4 just east of I-75 has a large assortment of new and used units. Unfortunately, their service has been rated poor. One person here said "Buying an Airstream from Bates is like buying a Mercedes from a Yugo dealer and expecting service"

Travelers Rest Resort at exit 293 on I-75, about 30 miles north of Tampa, was an Airstream only park, and still has a lot of Airstreams in residence.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
If looking for a campground nearby

Hello... Bates RV is at exit 14 on I4 just east of 75... If you are looking for a campground.. try Tampa East RV .. it is just beside Bates on McIntosh Rd.. and if you are going to Bradenton... Try the Beach House restaurant on the Gulf.. great food... we are at Tampa east right now but we are leaving Wed.. Hope this helps... Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There is an Airstream dealer in Alachua, Florida (JD Sanders) off of exit 399. Head east about 5-6 miles, on 441, it is on the right. They usually have quite a few in stock. They usually have an MH or two, plus a few Interstates.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bates RV

If you are going to Bates, ask for Don Harkins, or call ahead for an appointment. I bought my CCD from Don....a real straight shooter. I agree that their service dep't. leaves 'something to be desired' but then I am my own service Dep't. anyway . Tell him I sent you!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Thanks for the reccommendation. I eneded up going to bates and was impressed; had about 25 units on the lot of different sizes. I had never been in a new airstream before; they are very very nice. Still like my 63 tradewind though. The vintage units they had there were absolutely trashed; very poor condition.

Thanks again,

-Sig
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
Bates RV

I am having a little work on my Argosy at Bates. It has been a slow process through the the estimates......should I go somewhere, else?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Just based on the comments in this thread, I'd be cautious. Why go through the aggravation if you have other choices. If they are the only dealer in your area your choices are limited. Good luck.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bates as a dealer is very good, as a service center, they are good. They are not as experienced with vintage units, just because of the age of the units.
What work are you having done?
There is also RV World of Nokomis, if you want to go south of Sarasota, the PO of our new coach had much work done there. All different stuff, too, from the work orders, not just repeats, or "come backs".
Old 05-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
You might check with Register RV in Brooksville. I have had nothing but good service there.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I bought my CCD at Bates, but that's about all the 'good' I can say. While I was there picking up my unit, there were 3 VERY dissatisfied customers who had been there (with SOBs) from 3 days to 2 weeks and STILL had not had their service issues resolved. They were NOT HAPPY!

Mine had NOT had a proper PDI done and was about to be delivered to me with 2 bad batteries and a half page of other issues. I was furious and realized right away that this was the last the Bates would see either me or my CCD.

Having the luxury of being able to do my own service work, I called Frank Bates and explained my situation. Other that offering me a job on the spot, he asked that I do all of the corrective work and send him the bill at my reguler rates, which I did. It was promptly paid!

Frank Bates made the situation right and is a man of his word, but the service department AND the techs that work there leave much to be desired!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Frank is the one who controls the techs and says what goes and who goes... we know from personal experience...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Since this has sort of become a "rate Bates" string, I'll make a contribution ... my 2006 28' AS (which I bought new from Bates) has been at Bates awaiting service since May 4, and I can't get anyone to tell me if they've begun work, finished work, or anything at all, although our target date to pick it up was May 22. Three times I've had my name and number taken, and not a single call back. Today I left a voicemail for Frank Bates' describing the situation and asking if he can find out for me what is going on. I'll let you all know how things turn out, but so far I wouldn't be able to tell you if their service was good or bad ... it's just been "no" service. Hopefully, all will end well, but we'll see ...

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote