Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Napanee , Ontario
Question Rear window restoration - 1980 International

The rear window on my '80 International is plexiglass. A PO has covered it with a frosted (mactac?) film. Obviously this was done many years ago as it has dried, cracked and looks ugly.

Because the window is plexi I cannot use a heat gun on it. The film is so hard and dry that scaping it off scratches the surface.

1. Is there a solvent that can be used to remove this that will not damage the plexiglass?

2. If not I want to replace the plexiglass. This window hinges at the top but there are no visible hinges. When the brackets that open and close the window are removed will these window frames come off simply by lifting them higher?

3. I cannot see how the front and back of the window frame (that holds the plexiglass in place) is held together to hold the plexiglass. How is the plexiglass changed on these?

Lots of questions folks. Your help will really be appreciated.
Senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
The rear window on my '80 International is plexiglass. A PO has covered it with a frosted (mactac?) film. Obviously this was done many years ago as it has dried, cracked and looks ugly.

Because the window is plexi I cannot use a heat gun on it. The film is so hard and dry that scaping it off scratches the surface.

1. Is there a solvent that can be used to remove this that will not damage the plexiglass?

2. If not I want to replace the plexiglass. This window hinges at the top but there are no visible hinges. When the brackets that open and close the window are removed will these window frames come off simply by lifting them higher?

3. I cannot see how the front and back of the window frame (that holds the plexiglass in place) is held together to hold the plexiglass. How is the plexiglass changed on these?

Lots of questions folks. Your help will really be appreciated.
Glass replacements are available.

You might check all the other window gaskets, since the original owner did a less than desireable replacement.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Napanee , Ontario
Andy,
Were those windows originally glass?
Senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Andy,
Were those windows originally glass?
Yes.

Airstream has never used plastic windows, in production. They did in an old wing window replacement only.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote