Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Glass Color, Screens and Vinyl

Happy New Year,

I'm in the process of re-furbishing my '76 Globetrotter 21'

The previous owner put laminated glass on the front window because he apparently had a rock break the front window before he bought the rock shield, which I have.

My question is - What color glass did airstream use in the 70's? I want to replace the laminated glass that has clouded up (I live in MN land of extreme temperatures). I plan on using 3/16" or 1/4" thickness. Also, where can I get vinyl U channel to surround the glass before putting back in the frame?

I'm re-screening - thought I read solar gray is the color of choice - is there any special mesh?

Thanks in advance!

Lastly, where can I purchase the thin spline that holds the screen in the groove of the screen?
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
P.s.

I plan to use tempered glass - don't like the fact that Lexan will scratch, being a former glazier at one time of my working life.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Just rescreened all my windows in the '73 Overlander. I used the grey fiberglass screen rather than the charcoal color. I read a couple posts suggesting the charcoal darkened the interior some. Not that I couldn't use some dimming of the FL sun, but ...... thought the grey would complement the aluminum???? I got spline at the same place that I purchased the screen --- ACE hardware. I took a piece of old spline - that was degraded some and didn't hold tight (white, smooth). ACE gave me the smallest spline they had - grey and ribbed. It worked perfect. Nice tight screens!!! I really wanted screen that is No-see-um proof but I heard that the stuff sold as such is really very tight and it too limits sunlight. ?????

Good luck. It took me about 2 hrs to do the full trailer - well, except the door. I ran out of spline.....
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
Happy New Year,

I'm in the process of re-furbishing my '76 Globetrotter 21'

The previous owner put laminated glass on the front window because he apparently had a rock break the front window before he bought the rock shield, which I have.

My question is - What color glass did airstream use in the 70's? I want to replace the laminated glass that has clouded up (I live in MN land of extreme temperatures). I plan on using 3/16" or 1/4" thickness. Also, where can I get vinyl U channel to surround the glass before putting back in the frame?

I'm re-screening - thought I read solar gray is the color of choice - is there any special mesh?

Thanks in advance!

Lastly, where can I purchase the thin spline that holds the screen in the groove of the screen?
The front window on your Airstream could have been clear, or solar gray.

The gasket is not available.

New windows are available.

To try and use any more than 1/8 inch glass in the same window frame, and to have it fit correctly, I don't believe can be done because of the frame extrusion, that Airstream uses.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Hi Andy and thanks for your reply.

The thickness of the laminated glass that came out of the front window channel is 3/16" thickness.

Solar gray sounds like a winner.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Trimming the Screen

Did you use a single edge razor blade to trim away the excess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Just rescreened all my windows in the '73 Overlander. I used the grey fiberglass screen rather than the charcoal color. I read a couple posts suggesting the charcoal darkened the interior some. Not that I couldn't use some dimming of the FL sun, but ...... thought the grey would complement the aluminum???? I got spline at the same place that I purchased the screen --- ACE hardware. I took a piece of old spline - that was degraded some and didn't hold tight (white, smooth). ACE gave me the smallest spline they had - grey and ribbed. It worked perfect. Nice tight screens!!! I really wanted screen that is No-see-um proof but I heard that the stuff sold as such is really very tight and it too limits sunlight. ?????

Good luck. It took me about 2 hrs to do the full trailer - well, except the door. I ran out of spline.....