Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Aptos , California
Wheel ratings for 2015 25' fb flying cloud

After seeing many reviews and putting approx. 10k on my GYM tires I'm looking to upgrade my tires. I have a 2015 FB 25' flying cloud. The Gvwr is 7300#. I'm looking at the new Michelin ltx m/s2 108t. I currently have the stock aluminum wheels that came with my trailer. They are the 6-lug 15" wheel. The axle rating is 3800#. The new Michelin tires load rating is 2,040#. What I'm trying to figure out is what is the load rating of the stock wheel that came with my trailer in order to determine if the new tires will work with my current rims. I know many are going to the 16" wheel with LT tires, but I'm ok with my current wheels if the load rating is sufficient for the upgraded tires. Sorry for the long details but seems when I do ask the question from dealers or repair people I can't get a clear answer.
Garyforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I don't know your wheel rating but if you care to remove one and look at the spokes on the backside you might just find the rating.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Most trailer wheels are rated around 2800 lbs but they may be as low as 2200 lbs. The wheels aren't going to be the weak link there.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
The aluminum wheels on the 2004 25 Classic is 2200 lbs., stamped on the back side. As mentioned, you need to look at the back side of the wheel to see what it is rated at.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
I have also been looking at replacement tires. From what I have read LT tires are not the best choice for a trailer due to the difference in sidewall construction. ST tires are specifically designed for the stress put on the tires when a dual axle trailer makes turns, also they are rated to carry more weight. Unfortunately Michelin doesn't make a trailer tire that I am aware of. As a matter of fact, I can't find any trailer tire made in the USA! I have found one tire that seems to have a better track record than the rest, it is the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire - 225/75R15 BSW, rated at a 10 Ply Rating. The reviews on Amazon for this tire are 4.6 out of 5 and a 84% 5 star rating. I don't have any affiliation with either Maxxis or Amazon, but use Amazon often to find out information on items I am interested in. I would be very interested to hear if anybody has had these tires or has found a truly GREAT trailer tire.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
I have also been looking at replacement tires. From what I have read LT tires are not the best choice for a trailer due to the difference in sidewall construction. ST tires are specifically designed for the stress put on the tires when a dual axle trailer makes turns, also they are rated to carry more weight. Unfortunately Michelin doesn't make a trailer tire that I am aware of. As a matter of fact, I can't find any trailer tire made in the USA! I have found one tire that seems to have a better track record than the rest, it is the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire - 225/75R15 BSW, rated at a 10 Ply Rating. The reviews on Amazon for this tire are 4.6 out of 5 and a 84% 5 star rating. I don't have any affiliation with either Maxxis or Amazon, but use Amazon often to find out information on items I am interested in. I would be very interested to hear if anybody has had these tires or has found a truly GREAT trailer tire.
This discussion has been going on for the last several years. The ST tires are supposedly better in some ways but frequently have tread separation and other problems. The LT tires are supposedly not as good because of side wall sheer forces, but seem to significantly out perform and out last the ST tires. I have run Maxxis ST E and had 2 tread separations at three years. Yes I did drive 70 mph, and probably will again. I am on my second set of Maxxis and at year 3 I am going to 16" rims and 16" E rated Michelins LT. Keep in mind that the AS factory does put these on some of their factory shipped units.

Those that switch from ST to LT do generally know what they are doing and why.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
do the 16" wheels fit Ok when replacing 15"? I have a 2005 25' safari
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyforrest View Post
After seeing many reviews and putting approx. 10k on my GYM tires I'm looking to upgrade my tires. I have a 2015 FB 25' flying cloud. The Gvwr is 7300#. I'm looking at the new Michelin ltx m/s2 108t. I currently have the stock aluminum wheels that came with my trailer. They are the 6-lug 15" wheel. The axle rating is 3800#. The new Michelin tires load rating is 2,040#. What I'm trying to figure out is what is the load rating of the stock wheel that came with my trailer in order to determine if the new tires will work with my current rims. I know many are going to the 16" wheel with LT tires, but I'm ok with my current wheels if the load rating is sufficient for the upgraded tires. Sorry for the long details but seems when I do ask the question from dealers or repair people I can't get a clear answer.
Your wheels were matched with the trailer at AS. Since you are not changing them there is really no concern there imho. Your matching new tires with the wheels. The Michelin LTX/MS P235 R15 108 T E2 is D Rated 8ply @ 50PSI and E Rated 10 Ply @ 65 PSI. Make sure the tire has E2 on the sidewalls.
At 50 PSI it gives you 2,185 LBS load capacity.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Your wheels were matched with the trailer at AS. Since you are not changing them there is really no concern there imho. Your matching new tires with the wheels. The Michelin LTX/MS P235 R15 108 T E2 is D Rated 8ply @ 50PSI and E Rated 10 Ply @ 65 PSI. Make sure the tire has E2 on the sidewalls.
I believe the GYM need 65 PSI so you sb good to go.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Just a little heads up the P235/75R15 Michelin Ltx/ms tire is an xl rated tire but it's max inflation pressure is 50 psi. That e2 your seeing isn't the load range.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Our 2006 Bambi Quick Silver wheels have weight capacity stamped on inboard side of wheel
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
do the 16" wheels fit Ok when replacing 15"? I have a 2005 25' safari
They will fit on my 1990 Excella, but you will need to measure how much room you have from the top of your current tires to the top of the wheel well. Generally the one inch larger rim increases the axle to top of tire by 1/2" and thereby reduces the space from the top of your tire to the wheel well by 1/2".

There needs to be adequate space for the wheel to move up and down with road travel. Maybe someone with a 2005 25' Safari could chime in.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Just a little heads up the P235/75R15 Michelin Ltx/ms tire is an xl rated tire but it's max inflation pressure is 50 psi. That e2 your seeing isn't the load range.

As you dig deeper you will find it .
Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Also remember that the air pressure on some wheels is less than the eighty used for some tires.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:

Here is a link to what the circled E2 REALLY means.

http://www.tyrespeedrating.co.uk/tyre-e-mark/
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Also notice the *P* in front of the numbers. That means it is a *P metric* - and all P metric tires have to be derated by a factor of 1.1 when used on a trailer (or a truck or a multipurpose vehicle.)

That means the actual load carrying capacity is 1985#.

Technically it is an Extra Load (XL) tires - it does NOT have a *Load Range* designation.

And as has been pointed out, the e2 is the certification indicator and has nothing to do with load carrying capacity.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Really good info.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Also notice the *P* in front of the numbers. That means it is a *P metric* - and all P metric tires have to be derated by a factor of 1.1 when used on a trailer (or a truck or a multipurpose vehicle.)

That means the actual load carrying capacity is 1985#.

Technically it is an Extra Load (XL) tires - it does NOT have a *Load Range* designation.

And as has been pointed out, the e2 is the certification indicator and has nothing to do with load carrying capacity.
XL means Extra Load but it does not tell you the what it actually is. There is no information on the Michelin website at all that is useful however Discount tire has it clearly stated. But even there you have to drill down to find it. The E2 is what I stated.
As to derating a tire based on regulations my opinion is that the regulations need to be updated. Todays tires are far superior than when the regulations were written. And common sense tells me the "Derated" doesn't poof magically lowers the load capacity of the tire. It doesn't magically peel of a couple plyes. The load capacity is still 2,185 LBS at 50 PSI.

The Discount tire Store website also has a very informative piece on the ST Tires. I highly recommend that everyone reeds it. It tell you point blank that ST tires will come apart at some point regardless of the miles on it and there will be thread separation for sure if an ST tire is driven over 65 MPH.
I believe a non ST tire is far safer to use .

Obamacare Insurance regulations state that I a 72 year old male need a mammogram and maternity coverage. So much for Governmental regulations. I take them with a grain of salt and apply common sense to everything I do.
In recognizing the short comings of the average user, tire companies build in a lot of extra capacity beyond what they stamp on the tire to account for that.
BTW the ST tire is built according to Government Rules and Regulations. That is why there is so much ST tire failure. I would go bonkers trying to stay under 65 MPH on a arrow straight interstate with good weather and no traffic.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Aptos , California
Thank you everyone

Well my first time on the forum. Wow!. Great input by all that responded to my question on finding the wheel load rating on my 2015 AS 25'FB. The load rating was right there on the inside of one of the spokes. Used a mirror instead of pulling the wheel. The reason for all of this was to upgrade my tires and was looking to go the Michelin. Have been in a few tire shops and made calls over the the last couple of days. You should have seen the looks I got when talking about going to the Michelin tire. They just about all thought I was crazy. When explaining the load rating is equal or greater than I need for my trailer and other details they still asked me why I wouldn't put an ST tire on my trailer and a passenger tire was not correct. Even talked to Michelin help desk which were very informative and helpful, but in no way we're they going to say put their P rated tire on my 15" 225 75r 15's. You would think the rv industry and tire industry would get together and figure something out, they would make millions! So I will go back to the blog and beat to death the old tire question one more time. But thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.
Garyforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #20
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
XL means Extra Load but it does not tell you the what it actually is. There is no information on the Michelin website at all that is useful however Discount tire has it clearly stated. But even there you have to drill down to find it. The E2 is what I stated. ......
Frank, I am sorry, but you have both those things entirely wrong. As a tire engineer with over 40 years designing, testing, and explaining tires, I could quite literally spend a couple of pages pointing to the sources and explaining what they mean. Suffice it to say that the Michelin tire in question is not a Load Range E and the e2 refers to the certification.

Quote:
....... As to derating a tire based on regulations my opinion is that the regulations need to be updated. .......
Sorry, again, but the regulations were proceeded by the engineering. The derating appears in the TRA Yearbook and has since somewhere about 1968. (TRA = The Tire and Rim Association, the US tire standardizing body).

If you dig a little deeper into the engineering, you'll find that derating is common for different types of service. This is just one of many.

I am not going to comment on the rest of your post, so I am truncating it. You have some faulty concepts about how things work, so I suggest you ask questions before you post about tires again. Tireman9 and I are always here to help guide you through the technology - which is, indeed, complex and sometimes not at all intuitive.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote